All engine warning lights come on dash, truck only limited on speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ondgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Thanks for the reply
Battery is new only a few months old
Yes they are tapped into the OB2 port below the dash
It is possible to get a bad “new battery”. It’s happened to me twice. Most batteries are rebuilt and recycled. There are few actual new batteries. At least that’s what I heard somewhere over the years.

bhurlbert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar thing happen to my 2019 Ram 1500. Had to get it towed to dealer where they replaced the battery. Wouldn't think that a bad battery would cause the whole truck to freak out. But, with everything computer-controlled, that's all it takes.

Paul T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had similar issues recently. The dealership wasn't able to find the root of the problem, and there was nothing in stored messages and the scanner didn't show any stored codes.

Finally, I found where the problem grows and fixed the problem.
You need to open the side panel and there you will find 2 modules (green and white boxes) which are the distribution level to all electronic systems connected. So, you need to "shake/move" the wires there, and I bet you will recreate the problem. Ask the dealership to replace these blocks. Also, I have seen a lot of questions here like "service shifter" , sensors messages, brakes messages, etc - in most cases the problems start from these distribution modules.

Attachments

• 1667242570051.jpg
    1667242570051.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220703_171716.jpg
    IMG_20220703_171716.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220703_171606.jpg
    IMG_20220703_171606.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220703_154149.jpg
    IMG_20220703_154149.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220813_190829.jpg
    IMG_20220813_190829.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 7

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On 2019s there was a recall for a bad ground terminal connection affecting the power steering because the ground stud was painted before any wiring was installed. However, there are six or seven grounding points under the hood that could suffer from a similar problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79480 miles

OP
OP
F

fltekdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 5th Gen
Engine
3.6L
trouble shot the steps with Amp today on the phone using a volt meter and found out the chip in the OPD2 connector under the dash is bad is what they expected. They said if anyone hits it it breaks the chip inside. I was advised to move the OBD2 using a AMP-76405-01A - Amp Plug and Play Pass Through Harness for PowerSteps for $85 to relocate the OBD2 up higher under the dash to lessen the risk of it getting damaged in the future

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
trouble shot the steps with Amp today on the phone using a volt meter and found out the chip in the OPD2 connector under the dash is bad is what they expected. They said if anyone hits it it breaks the chip inside. I was advised to move the OBD2 using a AMP-76405-01A - Amp Plug and Play Pass Through Harness for PowerSteps for $85 to relocate the OBD2 up higher under the dash to lessen the risk of it getting damaged in the future

Hope this helps
So your trucks OBD2 connector is bad or the AMP steps is bad? ...

OP
OP
F

fltekdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
The AMP steps come with a OBD2 plug that has 2 purple wires coming out of it.
That connector that AMP Research gives you with the kit that plugs into the vehicles OBD2 has a chip on it
They replaced that plug under warranty
They said if someone accidentally bumps into that plug it breaks the chip inside
Hard to believe but they changed that pc out under warranty

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I had a similar thing happen to my 2019 Ram 1500. Had to get it towed to dealer where they replaced the battery. Wouldn't think that a bad battery would cause the whole truck to freak out. But, with everything computer-controlled, that's all it takes.
Same thing with my 2014. Total freak out showing all kind of warning lights including what looked to me likea lightning bolt in the middle of the dash. Modern electronics just don't like electrical power changes.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The AMP steps come with a OBD2 plug that has 2 purple wires coming out of it.
That connector that AMP Research gives you with the kit that plugs into the vehicles OBD2 has a chip on it
They replaced that plug under warranty
They said if someone accidentally bumps into that plug it breaks the chip inside
Hard to believe but they changed that pc out under warranty
Good that they replaced it ...yeah I thought you meant your truck's OBD2 port had a broken chip so I was like damn that sucks ...

But the placement of the OBD2 port in our trucks is not in a very good spot, I always keep my OBDlink MX+ plugged in and I hit that thing almost every time ... I am going to start removing it to prevent any damage to the link and to my obd2 port lol ....

OP
OP
F

fltekdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I agree, I bought the pass through extension as they advised me to get it up higher under the dash and secure it up there out of harms way

OP
OP
F

fltekdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
follow up , Amp Research wanted to ague with me that their Plug in to the OBd2 port wouldn't cause these issues.
Wrong !
I had the steps disconnected 3 weeks with no issues
Received the new plug in for the AMP research steps couldn't get the steps working , spent a hour on the phone with the tech trouble shooting the steps , put the old plug back on steps worked threw the lights again on the dash. Called them back spent another hour on the phone for them to tell me my OBD2 port was bad and that was the reason. Bought the truck back to Dodge they checked the port is working fine.
Back on the phone with Amp Research saying the new plug isn't working. While on the phone with the tech I opened their dry shrink tubing around the 2 wires blue and white wire that comes out of the port that plugs into the OBD2 port under the dash, and low and behold the white wire is broken in the harness.
I said to the tech this is supposed to be a new part and all this running around and time wasted and you guys sent me a broken wire that I had to find in your harness, and NO the lights on the dash aren't caused by anything else but your steps!

Steps have been working fine and no lights on the dash now last 2 weeks

However i'm ready to rip the lift out and get rid of their crappy steps and crappy support I'm so disgusted

Oh BTW the one tech told me to get the splitter , the next tech tells me I don't need it. The original tech said If I even bump it with my knee it will go bad , but yet the shipped the new plug in a plastic bag no bubble wrap nothing, what a joke !