Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Trying to compile a "Master List" of all fluids required for my 2018 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed 1500. I do have Mopar Lifetime Warranty, but knowing how warranty's go and in hopes to avoid any issues for many years as I'd like to have this for 20+ years I'm going to do much preventative maintenance on my own as I can.

Let's get straight to the list and questions I'll be asking along the way to clarify confusion between the manual and cert numbers, and will update as answers are provided. I'm sure this would be very beneficial to fellow truckers for years down the road. THANKS!!!

Engine Oil/Filter (7 quarts) *What I use*:
-Red Line 5W20
-RP 10-48
*Changed on my own every 1 year/5k miles

Engine Coolant (18.3 quarts):
-Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT
*Probably will try and do my own flush at 5 years/75k miles

Transmission Fluid (How many quarts?):
-“Mopar ZF 8&9 Speed ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid, or equivalent.”
*What type of filter and what other components are required? Don't see any specs or further details in the manual.
*Red Line makes D6, D4, C+ transmission oil. Which would suffice?
*Probably will try and do my own at 8 years/50k miles as tests have proven fluid is only good for 62k miles.

Rear Axle/4x4 Front Driving Axle/Anti-Slip Limited Differential Fluid (How many quarts?) *For those equipped*:
-FRONT: “We recommend you use Mopar GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubri- cant SAE 75W-85.”
-REAR: “We recommend you use Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-90 (MS-A0160). Limited-Slip Rear Axles require the addition of 5 oz. (148 ml) Mopar Limited Slip Additive (MS-10111). Limited Slip Additive should be added before the gear lubricant is added to insure proper additive fill.”
*Manual states to check it but hints at replacing it 3 years or 30k miles (will also do on my own).
*Will these Red Line products meet the above specs?: 75W85 GL-5 GEAR OIL & 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL & LIMITED-SLIP FRICTION MODIFIER

Transfer Case Fluid (How many quarts?):
-“We recommend you use Mopar BW44–44 Transfer Case Fluid.”
*Don't see any on Red Line so guess I'll need your recommendations here.

Brake Master Cylinder Fluid (How many quarts?):
-“We recommend you use Mopar DOT 3. If DOT 3 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable.”
*I don't know anything about brakes...so I guess I'll just leave this here hah. Keep an eye on the fluid and I guess if brake issues then have serviced?

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I also have the MaxCare lifetime warranty but do not see anything in the owners manual about when to change the tranny fluid. It is "sealed" and the drain plug is blocked by the exhaust crossover pipe. I have done a drain and fill in our 4Runner which is also sealed but that is because I do not have a warranty and want to hand it down to my kids in 10 years. I am trying to figure out what my incentive is to mess with the tranny when there is not a requirement to do so.

ETA: This is directly from the owners manual

"Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed
Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the
life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However,
change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes
contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is
disassembled for any reason."

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
*Will these Red Line products meet the above specs?: 75W85 GL-5 GEAR OIL & 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL & LIMITED-SLIP FRICTION MODIFIER

Transfer Case Fluid (How many quarts?):
-“We recommend you use Mopar BW44–44 Transfer Case Fluid.”
*Don't see any on Red Line so guess I'll need your recommendations here.

Yes, the reason redline hasn't updated their gear fluids spec list is because there hasn't been any change in gear fluids since gl-5, so the same thing you put in a ram back when gl-5 came out, you put in a ram today, YOU WILL NOT NEED THE MODIFIER EVEN WITH LSD. You can see here they say ram through 2006 if you look up oem capatibily. you can see on oil specs gl-5 was the last spec, so no reason to update, redline is gl-5. You DONT want to use this one (75W140NS GL-5 GEAR OIL) with either the open or lsd diff, you DO want to use this one (75W140 GL-5 GEAR OIL).

On the transmision, you would want to use d6 instead of c+ for the 8 speed, or any zf fluid, ravenol also makes a clone oil for the zf.

If your transfer case calls for atf4, you use redline c+, PM hemi395, he has the info on the BW transfer case, he uses an alternative that he digs, I don't know which one it is.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the reason redline hasn't updated their gear fluids spec list is because there hasn't been any change in gear fluids since gl-5, so the same thing you put in a ram back when gl-5 came out, you put in a ram today, YOU WILL NOT NEED THE MODIFIER EVEN WITH LSD. You can see here they say ram through 2006 if you look up oem capatibily. you can see on oil specs gl-5 was the last spec, so no reason to update, redline is gl-5. You DONT want to use this one (75W140NS GL-5 GEAR OIL) with either the open or lsd diff, you DO want to use this one (75W140 GL-5 GEAR OIL).

On the transmision, you would want to use d6 instead of c+ for the 8 speed, or any zf fluid, ravenol also makes a clone oil for the zf.

If your transfer case calls for atf4, you use redline c+, PM hemi395, he has the info on the BW transfer case, he uses an alternative that he digs, I don't know which one it is.

I have seen a few guys here running D4 in the TC. Any thoughts on C+ vs D4?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have seen a few guys here running D4 in the TC. Any thoughts on C+ vs D4?

Dexron= gm
Mercon= ford
atf4= dodge

So if someone labels something atf4 or atf4 compatible it is a dodge specific thing, or a manu that adopted the dodge specific spec. I haven't really looked at the formula, but d4 is dexron and mercon spec'd, not atf4, and usually that means something small like calcium level that if someone is using plastic pieces in their TC or tranny they need more calcium to protect it. Sometimes they will just use the same fluid in the TC if the tranny had a plastic piece in it. If you want to know past that, I suggest PM Dave at redline. [email protected]

If you look at both spec sheets you can also likely tell if they will work ok, look at cSt and pour points.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I looked it up, they look identical but cold flow atf4 looks superior as it has lower brookfield visc and way better viscosity index. atf4 is no doubt a better base oil, but maybe someone wanted more calcium, don't know much more then that, don't even know for sure calcium levels are different, but my bet is they would be.

looks like older spec, the newer specs are thinner, c+ is also an older spec. If it is a ram TC with a ram spec, it appears c+ would be a better choice imo.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked it up, they look identical but cold flow atf4 looks superior as it has lower brookfield visc and way better viscosity index. atf4 is no doubt a better base oil, but maybe someone wanted more calcium, don't know much more then that, don't even know for sure calcium levels are different, but my bet is they would be.

looks like older spec, the newer specs are thinner, c+ is also an older spec. If it is a ram TC with a ram spec, it appears c+ would be a better choice imo.

Thanks for that information! I think I may need to rethink using it in my TC and get some C+. There is so much info doing a google search and on these forums that it can be difficult to come up with a definitive, "this is the best fluid" opinion.

Back to more research for me I guess haha. Even though I have two quarts of D4 sitting in the garage now... dang it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, I would email dave at redline. looking at the stat sheet, I'd use it in my transfer case before tossing it out. The visc is the same, especiialy if you will just do a 20k mile interval, kind of like an extended flush. ATF4 c+ might be "better" but d4 will likely be better the mopar atf4. And the viscosity index is something about over time, so for a shorter interval probably would never know the difference.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the Lifetime Maxcare warranty. After doing some research, I decided not to service the transmission. To keep the warranty in place, it's important to follow the service protocol set forth by FCA. They say the transmission is a lifetime fill. If you do it yourself or take it to an independent mechanic, and later on have an issue, they're going to blame the failure on you or the private mechanic. Servicing the transmission at the dealer is incredibly expensive. Hopefully, it lasts as long as I keep the truck. If not, it's covered under the Lifetime Maxcare.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called Maxcare warranty on the trans specifically. They told me to follow the owners manual and you will be good.
I would ONLY have your fluid/filter done at the dealer if you have the lifetime maxcare. I do have it and like others have decided to not have it serviced as it is lifetime - at least so at this point. I may have the dealer do it once, we will see (I tow a lot).

As far as the oil, like you I do my own and even though the Redline is a superior oil it is not chrysler speced. The oil says it can be used in vehicles needing the special specification, but as far as I know they have not been certified.
To combat this, I purchased a 2 year/3 oil change package from the dealer for $99. I change my oil every 3000-5000 miles and will use the dealer change as an every other oil change deal - this way I will have records of some of the changes ( which should coincide with what my oil change monitor will indicate is needed).
I may actually have them change my other oil changes using my oil and filter - NAPA platinum filter and Redline oil in a Pennzoil bottle - since they only charge like $17 to do it. We will see lol

And since my dealer is nice, I actually use 5 qts of their oil in the truck and 2 of my Redline IN a Pennzoil bottle for a full 7 qts.
They give me me the extra 2 qts of blend that I paid for so the paperwork shows they put 7 qts in.

I change my diff fluid every year or 2 ( I tow 3000-4000 miles at 70+ mph) and use Redline 75-110 rear and 75-85 front.
I am sure at some point I will have the dealer change my rear diff. fluid with my supplied fluid that will be in a 75-140 bottle.
I used Redline 75-90 in my old 01 Dakota and towed with it for 15 years and never had a rear failure.

I have the 44-45 transfer case so it is more flexible on the oil - I will use Redline in it when the time comes. I really don't use 4WD much so not any hurry.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks guys!! Great advice and knowledge here.

After further thought I agree with those who mentioned the MVP plan. I have lifetime and upon checking the contract it does cover the transmission case and all internal parts.

So like stated, if I was to try and preventatively maintain the transmission of something was to ever go wrong that could easily point the blame on me (even though they’d have to prove it still).

As far as the brake master cylinder which is also covered, it does not mention any maintenance schedule in the manual, so guess I won’t touch it either..

Transfer Case I won’t have to touch for many many years as I don’t use 4-wheel much (had truck year and never used it once even in winter).

So oil/filter, transfer fluid, coolant, and axle fluids we are in the clear to replace on our own, but transmission and brake master cylinder seem to be out of the question for those of us with a MVP plan just don’t touch it is the safest bet; which sucks because we all like to prolong the life of the parts but looks like we’ll end up with a rebuilt tranny or old used one down the road..But hey, at least we won’t have to drop a dime besides the deductible every so often if that were the case for LIFE because I’m gonna be putting that to the test 20+ years down the road. Debating spraying the under carriage to prevent corrosion though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi

GREAT info here thank you!! Was not aware that oil had LSD mixture in it that’s great.

Question though, why the recommendation of 75w140, when then manual states 75w90&85? Which axle would that go in if I went with the 140, both?

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I called Maxcare warranty on the trans specifically. They told me to follow the owners manual and you will be good.
I would ONLY have your fluid/filter done at the dealer if you have the lifetime maxcare. I do have it and like others have decided to not have it serviced as it is lifetime - at least so at this point. I may have the dealer do it once, we will see (I tow a lot).

As far as the oil, like you I do my own and even though the Redline is a superior oil it is not chrysler speced. The oil says it can be used in vehicles needing the special specification, but as far as I know they have not been certified.
To combat this, I purchased a 2 year/3 oil change package from the dealer for $99. I change my oil every 3000-5000 miles and will use the dealer change as an every other oil change deal - this way I will have records of some of the changes ( which should coincide with what my oil change monitor will indicate is needed).
I may actually have them change my other oil changes using my oil and filter - NAPA platinum filter and Redline oil in a Pennzoil bottle - since they only charge like $17 to do it. We will see lol

And since my dealer is nice, I actually use 5 qts of their oil in the truck and 2 of my Redline IN a Pennzoil bottle for a full 7 qts.
They give me me the extra 2 qts of blend that I paid for so the paperwork shows they put 7 qts in.

I change my diff fluid every year or 2 ( I tow 3000-4000 miles at 70+ mph) and use Redline 75-110 rear and 75-85 front.
I am sure at some point I will have the dealer change my rear diff. fluid with my supplied fluid that will be in a 75-140 bottle.
I used Redline 75-90 in my old 01 Dakota and towed with it for 15 years and never had a rear failure.

I have the 44-45 transfer case so it is more flexible on the oil - I will use Redline in it when the time comes. I really don't use 4WD much so not any hurry.

Awesome info thanks!!

Question, why do you use 110 in the rear when 90 is recommended? Also why would you switch to 140? And even have the dealer do it when you been doing it on your own and 140 isn’t recommended?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Awesome info thanks!!

Question, why do you use 110 in the rear when 90 is recommended? Also why would you switch to 140? And even have the dealer do it when you been doing it on your own and 140 isn’t recommended?

it should be the 140w for the rear, and the lighter weight for the front? unless it is a 2500+. Whatever the book says, you want the corrrest weight of the one I posted, not the NS formula.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would do a brake fluid replacement at least after 10 years or so for safety's sake. I need to do that on my wife's 4Runner. The fluid in my 2002 Dakota looked pretty bad and I'm guessing the fluid was last changed in 2005 due to the brake upgrades from previous owner. It wasn't too difficult but I ended up doing it the old fashioned way instead of using the reverse bleeder I bought after people warned me about pushing crud and what not back up towards the MC.

Rear is 75W-140, I used Mobil 1 and added the friction modifier but I think it's best to stick with OEM fluid. I will probably swap back to that at 75k miles to cover my tracks for warranty.

"We recommend you use MOPAR® Synthetic Gear Lubricant
SAE 75W-140 (MS-8985). Limited-Slip Rear Axles
require the addition of 5 oz. (148 ml) MOPAR®
Limited Slip Additive (MS-10111)."

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Good point about the brakes, I’m sure they’d need something done around that point.

Just curious where you guys are getting that 140 from. Page 628 of manual:

b79d456955d137511517e3fae9e0ef18.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's real interesting, you have a 4 gen truck? So I would check your actual owners manual see if it matches the online one. They may have changed that spec for 2018, other 4 gens are 140. I really wonder if they only changed the spec and not the equipment for gas mileage concerns or something. I would really consider using a quality fluid with that lighter weight, that is like 1/2 the viscosity of 140, imperative to not have shear imo, so Redline or Amsoil SG would be about it on that axle if it was mine. Do you have mechanically heated diffs on your sticker? I would also swing by your ram dealer sometime and just shoot the **** with the service advisor, ask him what they put in ram diffs.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
That's real interesting, you have a 4 gen truck? So I would check your actual owners manual see if it matches the online one. They may have changed that spec for 2018, other 4 gens are 140. I really wonder if they only changed the spec and not the equipment for gas mileage concerns or something. I would really consider using a quality fluid with that lighter weight, that is like 1/2 the viscosity of 140, imperative to not have shear imo, so Redline or Amsoil SG would be about it on that axle if it was mine. Do you have mechanically heated diffs on your sticker? I would also swing by your ram dealer sometime and just shoot the **** with the service advisor, ask him what they put in ram diffs.

Yep 4 gen 2018. Yea I need to check owners manual. Online I’m referencing 5th edition.

Only thing I can think of this is correct then maybe tighter gears where need thinner oil to get in there, not sure.

Only thing on sticker is “anti-spin differential rear axle” with 3.92 rear axle ratio.

PumpkinStealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep 4 gen 2018. Yea I need to check owners manual. Online I’m referencing 5th edition.

Only thing I can think of this is correct then maybe tighter gears where need thinner oil to get in there, not sure.

Only thing on sticker is “anti-spin differential rear axle” with 3.92 rear axle ratio.

I have a physical copy that says 75w90 but I have seen 2 on online manuals one that said 90 one that said 140 and both were supposed to have been for the 2017.

Edit: I have 3.21 gears

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye