All Rams have Brake Controller Hookup Under Dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildneg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Have not dug under dash yet..
But I know on my 2015 it was hard to find. But just wanted to check...

Do all Rams have the plug for the brake controller under the dash? I got the 3.55 gears and 7 plug trailer hookup. I am going to be using my 16' trailer this week and just ordered the plug for the prodigy controller off other truck. I would assume 'yes' they all have it but though I would ask to make myself feel better. I don't have time to run and check yet.

At some point, would love to install the 'factory' one like my GMC had. I think I read you can do that and then some setup with that alpha programmer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes both plugs for the OEM brake controller should be under the dash usually somewhere along the right side of the steering column.
Unless it's been updated the OEM brake kit for your '15 model year is 82214492AB It's specific for that year.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My ‘19 did. The 2 plugs are wrapped together with foam tape and tucked up behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel. You only need one of the plugs to connect your Prodigy.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My '17 came with all the wiring in place for the OEM trailer brake. Funny thing, the Tekonsha P3 also comes with a pigtail that plugs right in to it.

OP
OP
W

wildneg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Ya, found it! Was tucked away up there with some styrofoam wrapped around the ends.

So for the 'stock' brake controller ... If I can find a cheap one at a junk yard, including the controller that mounts under the desh (right side of steering column / left side of center console)... That brake controller should just pop right in the middle console? I have the 2018... Would go right where the integrated brake controller was in my 2015. That same long panel with the park assist, tow/haul, etc buttons.

What is the cheapest way to get it to integrate (like factory comes from the dealership) to the dash cluster? I think I read you can do it yourself with the alpha coder. But with the 2018, so I need anything special done before I can even access everything with alpha? And then, is there a cheaper alternative? I have not priced the alpha controller or what it costs to 'get the code' to access everything with alpha.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
You can find 'em all over eBay, but if you pop in a factory controller, know that you will have to program your PCM so that your truck can acknowledge its existence, and so that it works. Either the dealership can do it for a fee, or you can do it if you have OBD Alfa and a OBD Bluetooth dongle.

On my part, I went ahead and got the Tekonsha P3 rig (it's pretty inexpensive) so I didn't have to go to a dealership or pound at it with OBD Alfa just to add the capability. Plus, the Tekonsha rig has a nice swing-lever for manual braking and not that irritating (to me) pinch-style switch.

OP
OP
W

wildneg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
On my part, I went ahead and got the Tekonsha P3 rig (it's pretty inexpensive) so I didn't have to go to a dealership or pound at it with OBD Alfa just to add the capability. Plus, the Tekonsha rig has a nice swing-lever for manual braking and not that irritating (to me) pinch-style switch.
I have the P2 from my old ram long ago. That's what I have in the truck now as I needed to help my mother in law move furniture with my trailer.
I like everything out of the way so the oem would be nice... But for as much as I tow... Maybe not worth it. I'll price out that alpha but I think I need to get get some unlock code (or something similar) for my 2018 on top of that. So may not justify the costs for the amount I tow.

I'll call my local dealership I go to for everything. Maybe I can get lucky with a free update to the computer. Though HIGHLY doubt it haha.

Thanks!

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, found it! Was tucked away up there with some styrofoam wrapped around the ends.

So for the 'stock' brake controller ... If I can find a cheap one at a junk yard, including the controller that mounts under the desh (right side of steering column / left side of center console)... That brake controller should just pop right in the middle console? I have the 2018... Would go right where the integrated brake controller was in my 2015. That same long panel with the park assist, tow/haul, etc buttons.

What is the cheapest way to get it to integrate (like factory comes from the dealership) to the dash cluster? I think I read you can do it yourself with the alpha coder. But with the 2018, so I need anything special done before I can even access everything with alpha? And then, is there a cheaper alternative? I have not priced the alpha controller or what it costs to 'get the code' to access everything with alpha.
AlfaOBD on an '18 is a $50 cable, a $80-130 OBD dongle (worth it to just buy the right one, versus trying to "find" one that works), and a $50 app. If you ONLY want to EVER do the trailer controller once, Pay the stealership. If you want to do ANYTHING else with the truck (like global down on the windows, remove the mech fan, keep your fogs on when your high beams are on, add other things to your truck... See the Alfa post for the list), Buy Alfa. Hell, just pulling the RF hub "code" so you can program a new keyfob (and programming new fobs) likely will pay for Alfa. And I pulled the code before I installed the bypass cable.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

If you only plan on doing the brake controller, it's worth it to see what the dealer will install the whole thing for.

Apples to oranges, but my wife's F150 didn't have a controller but had everything else. We only ever pull my flatbed trailer with her truck, but it's got brakes so we wanted the controller. Called the dealer, for either $150 or $200 (been a few years so I don't remember) they ordered the controller, installed it, and programmed it so all the towing menus were accessible. To me, it was worth it to know that I had the correct part number controller for the truck and that it was properly set up to function.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't looked at how it's hooked up but my 12 came to me with an aftermarket brake box put in by a PO. .
In older years being wired for a brake box that could be connected "plug n play" without hard wiring them in " the old way" was called the trailer tow PREP package. Already pre wired under the dash, but usually didn't come with a receiver hitch.