All-Terrain tire life on HD trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
I am in the market for new tires on my 14 2500, 285/60/20.
I ran Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT for the last 28,000 miles, and they are now down to the wear bars.
I've been happy with the Coopers, but hoping that another brand may give me some more mileage out of their all-terrain tires.

-Cooper Discoverer AT3 still have wonderful reviews, and I've seen some posts out on the web stating people have achieved 50-60k out of these tires on an HD.

-Toyo Open Country AT3 is the other choice I'm looking at, also has some good reviews, but it's a newer tire, so not as much real world experience from reviewers yet.

I've always heard HD trucks eat tires faster than other vehicles. Is 30k miles normal life for an all terrain tire on an HD?
I have a 2007 Ram 5.9 Cummins. I rarely go offroad in mud. I'm getting these: https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/dura-grappler-highway-terrain-light-truck-tire/
I've been running Toyo At 35's forever but am looking for a quieter,more stable tire. A 285-75-17 has a whopping 129 rating.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I won't run At's Mt's or OEM fitting tires anymore.. I get well over 100k on my tires,,,I run commercial tires only!
Here is a picture of my rear tires at 108k... Yes, i pull too!

20200407_181915.jpg

20200407_181816.jpg

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Not including a set of BFG M/T KM2's that threw belts on 3 of the 4 tires starting at around 25,000 miles (all threw within 2k of each other), I got 50,000 plus miles on all the other sets of tires on my old Power Stroke Super Duty (5 other sets). I'm at 42,000 on my P/W's Duratracs; I expect to get around 50,000 out of them. I was/am pretty religious on tire pressures, rotating and replacing worn parts. I definitely look at the pressure/load charts for trying to determine my initial pressure settings, but at each rotation I take a look at the wear patterns and adjust accordingly (purely an educated guess on my part). The best riding tire I had so far, and the biggest I ran was a set of 35" Toyo A/Ts (I forget the metric equivalent it really was); they were quiet, smooth riding and wore excellent.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrains from Discount Tire on mine about 35,000 miles. I have about 71,000 now and they still have a fair amount of tread life left.

I do know when I was looking, there is a BFG All Terrain that is rated for heavier trucks. But I liked the look of the Ultraterrains and they are quiet for an all terrain tire. They are specific to Discount Tire though so not a lot of info on them.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have an appointment for tomorrow to have some Toyo open country at3’s put on. They have been great so far on the work trucks so I figured I would install them on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Stock firestone transjunk AT2 toast at 20K. Cooper AT3 XLT made it to 60K still had life in them(40K on tire). set # 3, AT3 XLT at 75 K.(15K on tire now) Size 275/70 -18 on all. 10 ply E rated at 60 ish PSI.
Live on gravel road, offroad some, tow a 6k boat, car hauler and 3500 lb travel trailer.
rotate and balance at 5k to 6k miles

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use to use Michelin LTX on my 1 ton dually and wold get about 150,000kms (90,000 miles) but they are not a all terrain tire.

I currently have Canadian Tire motor master ATs on my truck, they great on the highway (smooth and quite) but so so on ice.
My truck is used 99% on pavement, very little off road and only gravel or muddy resource service roads.

milage is yet to be seen as only 18,000 Kms (11,250 miles) on them (First time using these cheaply priced tires)

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use to use Michelin LTX on my 1 ton dually and wold get about 150,000kms (90,000 miles) but they are not a all terrain tire.

I currently have Canadian Tire motor master ATs on my truck, they great on the highway (smooth and quite) but so so on ice.
My truck is used 99% on pavement, very little off road and only gravel or muddy resource service roads.

milage is yet to be seen as only 18,000 Kms (11,250 miles) on them (First time using these cheaply priced tires)

The Michelin’s ltx are an excellent tire. That’s what I replaced with the Toyo’s. Were on my truck when I bought it so hard to say how many miles were put on them. No complaints at all other than no good off pavement. But that’s not what they are for. They still have some life left in them but I wanted something with more aggressive tread.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The Michelin’s ltx are an excellent tire. That’s what I replaced with the Toyo’s. Were on my truck when I bought it so hard to say how many miles were put on them. No complaints at all other than no good off pavement. But that’s not what they are for. They still have some life left in them but I wanted something with more aggressive tread.

They are what I ran on my old dually. They SUCK on anything but pavement or gravel, and required me to use 4wd to turn my toyhauler around in the yard. But that was 2% of what I used them for, so they were decent enough tires.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have to really pay attention to air pressure. With the stupid TPMS light setting everyone who's driving an empty 3/4 or 1 ton truck is driving around on overinflated tires. I really liked the feature on my old 2010 Ram 2500 that had a button for "light load" so you could run a lower a tire pressure without the TPMS light kicking on. When I bought my Power Wagon it didn't have the light load button.

Shortly after I got the PW I put some oversized Toyo AT2 tires on the truck but ran the "proper" 65psi in the tires so the TPMS light wouldn't trigger. Those tires were toast in 20k, wore the centers right down. I replaced them with the exact same tires and now run 40psi all the way around unless I'm hauling or towing. Yes my stupid TPMS light is always on but this set of tires is wearing perfectly and I'll easily get 40,000 out of them.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have to really pay attention to air pressure. With the stupid TPMS light setting everyone who's driving an empty 3/4 or 1 ton truck is driving around on overinflated tires. I really liked the feature on my old 2010 Ram 2500 that had a button for "light load" so you could run a lower a tire pressure without the TPMS light kicking on. When I bought my Power Wagon it didn't have the light load button.

Shortly after I got the PW I put some oversized Toyo AT2 tires on the truck but ran the "proper" 65psi in the tires so the TPMS light wouldn't trigger. Those tires were toast in 20k, wore the centers right down. I replaced them with the exact same tires and now run 40psi all the way around unless I'm hauling or towing. Yes my stupid TPMS light is always on but this set of tires is wearing perfectly and I'll easily get 40,000 out of them.

Yes I agree. I’m currently running 50 in front and 55 in rear. I’m thinking I may need to come down closer to the 40 mark.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the BFG KO-2's on my 2012 3500 and they will be replaced this fall. Not a really good tire great in the snow when new but once they start to wear they suck. I'm looking at the Maxxis Bravo- 771. Good looking tire 50K tread life for just under $200 a tire LT265/70/17's

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 60k out of my Ridge Grapplers and they still had tread left. I changed them early because I was pulling 11k pound trailer on a 3,000 mile trip but I’m quite sure I could have gotten 70-75 before hitting the bars and I tow.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Probably what I'll go back to next set
Good choice. So far they have held up well. I’ve put about 6k miles on them and don’t seem to be showing any wear. Curious to see how they do this winter in the snow.