All Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1bad65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi. All, I’m looking to replace my 20” Good Year Wrangler SR-A tires with all terrain tires (2016 Ram 1500 Laramie) Can anyone tell me if they’ll be noticeably louder when compared to all season tires? I’m not looking for anything that aggressive just looking for a good overall tire. Thanks in advance.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes. The real question is how much louder? There are still some real howlers out there, if that's your thing. If your more into contractor / DD mode like me, that's definitely not my thing. I went with General Grabber ATX - top rated tire and low howl.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Nitto Terra Grappler G2's were quiet on my half ton.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Need to know what tires you are considering, some are louder then others. A general rule of thumb though, the more aggressive the tread and the wider the lug spacing is the noisier they will be.
AT tire is kind of a catch all these days, pretty much covers everything between a highway tire and a mud tire so need to narrow down what you are looking for.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had procomp at sports in the stock size and they were great. Only had them for 8000 miles before going up to 35s but loved them. Have heard great things about wild peaks and toyos. My BIL has toyos and swears by them. He has a gmc Denali 2500 diesel

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My Toyo Open Country AT2's have been great, not particularly loud even as they age. Next set will likely be the Toyo OC AT3.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like you already made a decision so what would it matter? And a good decision indeed, AT's are the way to go imo. Most at's are nothing like mt's which is the real worry? Here is a poll into what ram forum members use most for tire replacements. Michelin and Toyo (non MT) have a reputation for their quietness, personally I like bfg, but ram forum members number one tire seams to be Cooper hands down.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Toyo Open Country AT2's have been great, not particularly loud even as they age. Next set will likely be the Toyo OC AT3.
I have had several sets of Toyo at2 and one set of Toyo at3's and for the most part the at3 are better, but I like the RT's better for almost everything. Only advantage the AT3 has over the RT is on really icy roads but the RT is not bad and in deeper snow the RT is better and strangly enough quieter which I know does not make sense. So many good tires these days to choose from can't hardly go wrong.

OP
OP

1bad65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the responses. I don't have my heart set on anything at this time, just looking for some insight from those who have AT tires. Have a great weekend.

OP
OP

1bad65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you already made a decision so what would it matter? And a good decision indeed, AT's are the way to go imo. Most at's are nothing like mt's which is the real worry? Here is a poll into what ram forum members use most for tire replacements. Michelin and Toyo (non MT) have a reputation for their quietness, personally I like bfg, but ram forum members number one tire seams to be Cooper hands down

ksonnen1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nitto Recon grapplers.
Just had a set of these installed, so far very nice ride and quiet.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I humbly disagree... I love BFG KO2s!
One of the best ATs ever made IMO.
But I wouldn't call them quiet.
I put them on my wife's Cherokee and they droned so bad that my wife wouldn't speak to me for a month!
(Or maybe I just couldn't hear her over the DRONE...)

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
FWIW-
We just replaced the stock tires on my wife's Grand Cherokee with a set of Kenda Klever AT2s.
Last weekend we took a trip to Chicago (4.5hrs away) to pick up a new Harley and we both remarked how
quiet they were on the highway even at 75mph on the interstate.
kenda-klever-at2-1.jpg

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've run a lot of different Ats over the years. Best all around traction for me hands down is the BFG especially if you're going to use them as double duty for snow. Not loud, but not as quiet as an all season type tire, but I would steer clear on HD trucks because the tread compound that makes them so good in snow also makes them melt away under a heavy truck. Best wear and lowest road noise was the toyo at2 and I will probably try the toyo at3 next set of tires. I have the nitto ridge grapplers on my truck now and when I first got them I was surprised at their noise/aggression ratio, but now that they're worn a little they're getting louder and of the 3 the worst in snow (by snow I mean icy conditions) I'm sure they're good in deep snow, but I run dedicated snows in the winter now so that doesn't matter to me. Haven't run the Falken wildpeak myself, but know a few running them now and they seem happy with them.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Burla

I found that poll very interesting. Up here, the odds on favourite for an all around/year round tire are Goodyear Duratracs. It is what virtually everyone runs on pickups if they spend a lot of time on gravel. If they work in the really heavy clay areas up north they run BFG Mud Terrains that have been siped by Kal Tire for better traction on ice. Never really thought about what tires would be the right choice for use mostly on paved roads. Tire noise isn't really one of the metrics anyone I know uses, it is all about traction and not getting flats that you have to change in the deep mud.

DJ Maresco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had a set of Thunderer Ranger A/Tr put on, nice ride with minimal road noise.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_105524.jpg
    IMG_20210917_105524.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211002_141003~2.jpg
    IMG_20211002_141003~2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 3