Almost over heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nickels123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 dodge ram 2500
Engine
I need to find the right after market sensor and gauge because I tryed one and it wouldn't work. I have considered after market radiator.

michael purcell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 ramcharger 1990 ramcharger 2003 ram 1500
Engine
318 -360 -3.7
2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7 v8.. I have this truck lifted 2 inches and road armor bumpers. This truck over heats or almost over heats when pulling, i pull a 6700 camper 29 ft. I've had dozens people looks at it and changed it all. I don't even know where to start... I've changed to elec fan. Changed the thermostat maybe a dozen times, new radar and system cleaned, new ecm, new dash custer. New timing cover, New water pumps 3 times, 1 blew up.new radiator caps sereval times. New cooling tubes. Tested block several times by firestone and other professionals. New belts new pulleys new transmission cooler. Ok so I can cruise and everything works not putting extra strain on motor being easy then all of a sudden the truck will say it's almost overheating i dont go over 3 to 4 k so all back off the throttle , as it cools down and then I get by for another 10-15 miles and nothing happens so then I'll keep going and 15 minutes later it'll say it's almost overheating or it is overheatin i pullover I check to see if it's boiling gurgling making any thing to confirm over heating. Nothing get back in truck restart and it's cooled down.. how? It's been 2 mins? I almost think maybe the lines to the radiator are getting pinched shut but is that possible.it's so erratic everytime I tell a mechanic or my mechanics nobody believes me everything checks out everything's fine until you put a load on it and put a load on it it says it's overheating I once was so sick of it I just kept driving I was going up 6% grades in Colorado I drove with it saying overheating for about a half an hour trying to blow the motor I'm just so sick of it I just kept going and going up grates.. over heating and i just keep going taking it easy as can and still says over heating I'm beginning to think that the trucks just lifted and the bully bumpers weight to much so maybe the truck just can't pull it but if that's the case then when it says it's overheating why isn't overheating or boiling.. what to check next? what you guys think? I've tested thermostats after I pull them out and noticed that most of them that I've tried have failed and went bad I've tried every company that makes them for this truck and just keep going bad what's going on?

Is it possible your coolant level was very low at one time and ended up with an air lock somewhere in the coolant system or possibly in your heater core? Maybe try a good reverse flush. And when filling up coolant level do so with front end jacked up to aid the release of trapped air. Something is restricting flow and/or an air trapped in system or clogged or almost clogged heater core could be the culprit. Thats all I can think of.

OP
OP
N

nickels123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 dodge ram 2500
Engine
I switched back to oem clutch fan after market elec p.o.s couldnt handle the heat when it was hot the after market wasnt kicking into high mode. I replaced the fan control module 3 times because it blew two times then I realized that it didn't have a high setting enough for this truck i guess. After i switched back to clutch it still did it but i realized the problem was the clutch fan was missing peaces, on the clutch it has ridges few were missing,seems to pull ok still gets hot when pulling but doesnt over heat.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your cooling system holding Pressure, Have you pressurized your cooling system to see if it holds pressure upper 20 psi is good what's the pressure of your radiator cap its stamped on the top or bottom, Ours is 21 psi for every 1lb of pressure its 3 degrees so say a 20lb cap thats 60 degrees to bring the coolant temp down if its holding pressure also do you have the right coolant in it and are you mixing it 50/50 water in the coolant is what dissipates heat, hope you find your problem dude.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched back to oem clutch fan after market elec p.o.s couldnt handle the heat when it was hot the after market wasnt kicking into high mode. I replaced the fan control module 3 times because it blew two times then I realized that it didn't have a high setting enough for this truck i guess. After i switched back to clutch it still did it but i realized the problem was the clutch fan was missing peaces, on the clutch it has ridges few were missing,seems to pull ok still gets hot when pulling but doesnt over heat.

Electric fans are nice. But most of the time if your gonna pull heavy loads. Our hemi's put out a lot of heat. Electric fans by themselves, in my opinion. Are not adequate enough. You could add an Electric fan, along with the clutch driven fan. But if I had to go with one. Clutch fan all the way. Yeah, you get some drag on the engine. But I would rather take drag then a blown head gasket. The CFMs just aren't there with most Electric fans. There are some that do work great. They cool just as good as the clutch fan does. When I tow, my temperature gauge jumps to the middle mark. It never passes that mark. When cruising around town, no load. Its just below that mark. Glad you found the problem man.