Alpha obd & Android phone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What’s the best phone to buy to use on the alpha obd?
Which scan tool should I buy?
I’m on a very limited budget so I need to get the best performance and lowest costs.

The Blue Mule

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Bluetooth module you can get from Amazon is OBDLink MX. as for the phone, you can use any android phone or tablet. The newer the better because the Bluetooth connection will be stronger. Just find a used one on Craigslist or on the Marketplace on Facebook. As long as it’s android it doesn’t matter.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I didn’t mention it but I also want it(Android phone)to work on my cheap ass factory RA3 5.0 radio.

The Blue Mule

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Bluetooth is Bluetooth. There are newer revisions of it on newer phones but they all are backwards compatible with older Bluetooth devices.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I have read anything with android kit kat or higher will work with alphaobd.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks men
I traded in my iPhone 8+ for the galaxy 10s. I'm actually wishing I had gotten the note 10+ just for the larger size.
Maybe I'll get the right scan tool and the alpha app for Christmas. Fingers crossed.

Blue Mule

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think all androids work as is. I charged up my last one from before I switched to Apple . Its a Samsung SGH-1997 , Some issue with the browser I think it said. I figure I will wait till my son gets home in Feb as he uses Samsung.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I have a Moto Z4 and it works great with AlphaOBD so far, no issues. It is running Android 9 PIE

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think all androids work as is. I charged up my last one from before I switched to Apple . Its a Samsung SGH-1997 , Some issue with the browser I think it said. I figure I will wait till my son gets home in Feb as he uses Samsung.

you have a Samsung Infuse first released in 2011, time to upgrade! If you never done upgrading then no it won’t work, it has Eclair OS and not compatible.

abbttb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a Samsung Note 8 running Android Pie and I haven't had any issues using Alphaobd with my OBDLink MX. I just recently upgraded my cluster to the 7" premium cluster and I didn't have any problem programming my mileage and engine/idle hours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I've been using a Amazon Kindle fire 7 and a Samsung galaxy note 5 with zero issues doing anything

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I have a Samsung Note 8 running Android Pie and I haven't had any issues using Alphaobd with my OBDLink MX. I just recently upgraded my cluster to the 7" premium cluster and I didn't have any problem programming my mileage and engine/idle hours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The 7" cluster is so nice, isn't it? I set everything myself too. Got the global windows down working just to try something else.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have a Samsung Infuse first released in 2011, time to upgrade! If you never done upgrading then no it won’t work, it has Eclair OS and not compatible.

I Gave up on the old Samsung Infuse as I seen no support available for it, don't know why I even have it anyway . I have a couple Kindles too and the one is a 6th gen 8" which is much nicer than a little phone with old eyes. I side loaded the Google app store in it and the Chrysler pin puller. I'm just waiting on the OBDLink MX+ and I will see if I can come up with a PIN # and go from their. ScanTool.com has 25% off this week for their black Friday sale for their MX+.

Edit : Received the MX+ Today and got a chance to play for a little bit. Took a while to get the Chrysler PIN puller to connect to the MX+. It kept trying to get me to connect to ELM327 instead. I don't know what I did but it finally connected bought some tokens and now have the PIN. Maybe after the Holiday I will down load ALFA OBD and see what else I can screw up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
I bought a cheap $25.00 android phone from Walmart that is all black so it would not stick as much as other phones. Runs the new version of android and works great. Could not beat $25.00.

It was able to program everything I wanted (drl, tpms, tire size, etc) with no issues as well.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you purchase the AlphaOBD app/program...Can you install it on multiple devices?

I've got an old cell that I would like to keep in my truck, but I have an 8" Kindle that would be easier on the eyes to use when I'm at the house

-DK

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When you purchase the AlphaOBD app/program...Can you install it on multiple devices?

I've got an old cell that I would like to keep in my truck, but I have an 8" Kindle that would be easier on the eyes to use when I'm at the house

-DK

Yes, but you have to pay for each device you put it on.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, but you have to pay for each device you put it on.
So in reality the answer is no unless you want to fork out $50 each. That sucks, most software allows you to do multiple devices. Microsoft office does.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What’s the best phone to buy to use on the alpha obd?
Which scan tool should I buy?
I’m on a very limited budget so I need to get the best performance and lowest costs.

The Blue Mule
Make sure you get the OBDLink MX, other devices may or may not work. And as I recall they have one version of it for android and another for Apple.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So in reality the answer is no unless you want to fork out $50 each. That sucks, most software allows you to do multiple devices. Microsoft office does.

Yes. I wasn’t sure exactly how to say it, but it kind of was a “yes” answer to some extent. Lol. I tried to swap devices but they wanted $50 more for the other device despite being willing to delete the app off of the first phone.