Alpha obd & Android phone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, but you have to pay for each device you put it on.
For the windows version, yes. Since the Android version is an app tied to your google account, you can install the app on multiple devices. I have three Android devices with the alfaobd app on them, all from the original $50 purchase.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For the windows version, yes. Since the Android version is an app tied to your google account, you can install the app on multiple devices. I have three Android devices with the alfaobd app on them, all from the original $50 purchase.

How did you get that on the different devices without being charged?? I tried with logging into it with the same account and it didn’t work.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This is what I needed to hear! Both my Kindle and phone would be android. If that is the case...I've got to do this.

-DK

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having a connection issue with AlphaOBD. I am using an Amazon Fire Tablet with an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter. I am able to connect to the adapter through Alpha OBD but the "Start" button on Alpha OBD app is always greyed out for some reason. I did notice that when i am connected to the adapter via Alpha OBD that it only says "Connected", after watching some youtube videos to further help understand I see the app should say connected to "instrument Cluster" etc which mine does not. Here are the troubleshooting steps I have performed:

-Reinstalled Alpha OBD App on Tablet
-Re-paired my Bluetooth adapter on tablet and within Alpha OBD App
-Bought a new Bluetooth Adapter (Wont even pair to the app or tablet)

I am lost at this point and am very frustrated as my friend has the same Bluetooth adapter minus the tablet and his works just fine so I am not sure what the issue is, I am leaning more towards the tablet being the issue but am not 100% sure. Any advice or help would be highly appreciated.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
OBDLink MX is the recommended BT dongle....I remember the ELM327 has had connection problems.

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you OC455. That's what I was thinking but the fact that my friend has the same BT Dongle and his works fine is odd (or I guess he is lucky). I was trying to keep it on the cheap as the mx adapter is like 90 bucks on amazon.

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you likes2build ! I will check it out, in the meantime my friend is shipping me his BT dongle. Question - what dongle should i be selecting in Alpha if I get the MX one? I dont see a specific option for that dongle.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thank you likes2build ! I will check it out, in the meantime my friend is shipping me his BT dongle. Question - what dongle should i be selecting in Alpha if I get the MX one? I dont see a specific option for that dongle.

In settings you don't have to change anything for the dongle. When you have it plugged in hit the small pairing button while you have alfaobd open. Select the bluetooth icon on the home screen in alfaobd and it should appear. Select pair device and you should be set. You may have to pair it to your phone first.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In settings you don't have to change anything for the dongle. When you have it plugged in hit the small pairing button while you have alfaobd open. Select the bluetooth icon on the home screen in alfaobd and it should appear. Select pair device and you should be set. You may have to pair it to your phone first.

Thank you for that information. I am using an Amazon Fire Tablet at the moment and dont know if that could have anything to do with the connection issues. However I do see others using the Fire Tablet without issue.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thank you for that information. I am using an Amazon Fire Tablet at the moment and dont know if that could have anything to do with the connection issues. However I do see others using the Fire Tablet without issue.

I use a kindle fire 7 tablet with no problems

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks to everyone who recommended the MX dongle, fixed the issue!

I am now trying to clear the "Service Electronic Braking System" message from my cluster. Tried re-initializing the ABS but it didnt work. I saw a youtube video on this stating you need to adjust the tire size as my truck now has 33" tires but was scared to do it since a bunch of errors occur when you adjust the size. I understand there is a procedure to clear those errors it causes from adjusting the tire size but didn't want to cause more issues from doing so. Has anyone else cleared this message using Alpha OBD successfully?

Sorry forgot to state initially that this occurred after i upgraded my cluster to the 7in one.

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks to everyone who recommended the MX dongle, fixed the issue!

I am now trying to clear the "Service Electronic Braking System" message from my cluster. Tried re-initializing the ABS but it didnt work. I saw a youtube video on this stating you need to adjust the tire size as my truck now has 33" tires but was scared to do it since a bunch of errors occur when you adjust the size. I understand there is a procedure to clear those errors it causes from adjusting the tire size but didn't want to cause more issues from doing so. Has anyone else cleared this message using Alpha OBD successfully?

Sorry forgot to state initially that this occurred after i upgraded my cluster to the 7in one.

Follow these

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xQvdHVTgRwKQRKSBh1K2rkCqg5dlpSi0

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn