alpha obd questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess this is just as good a place as any to post this but being that I just now found out that I can use my laptop with the alpha OBD and not have to buy a separate android device, what would be the preferred connection method from the laptop to the truck? Also, I’m assuming that since I have an apple MacBook Pro that is running Windows 11 through Boot Camp, that would still work, correct? And also, being that I have a 2018 model, where is a good place to find that security bypass module and hopefully it’s the type that you just have to hook up underneath the steering column and not the one that requires removing the radio and installing it back there or something. thanks.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I guess this is just as good a place as any to post this but being that I just now found out that I can use my laptop with the alpha OBD and not have to buy a separate android device, what would be the preferred connection method from the laptop to the truck? Also, I’m assuming that since I have an apple MacBook Pro that is running Windows 11 through Boot Camp, that would still work, correct? And also, being that I have a 2018 model, where is a good place to find that security bypass module and hopefully it’s the type that you just have to hook up underneath the steering column and not the one that requires removing the radio and installing it back there or something. thanks.
ALFA OBD info straight from ALFA OBD:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, you can run it via boot camp or fusion. I run it thru fusion on a Win10 VM. I use bluetooth via a USB dongle to connect, I could not get onboard bluetooth to connect thru fusion. OBD adapter is the OBDLink MX+. No issues at all with it. I would recomend double checking on Win11 compatability and don't forget to backup your base config before screwin around with it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you can run it via boot camp or fusion. I run it thru fusion on a Win10 VM. I use bluetooth via a USB dongle to connect, I could not get onboard bluetooth to connect thru fusion. OBD adapter is the OBDLink MX+. No issues at all with it. I would recomend double checking on Win11 compatability and don't forget to backup your base config before screwin around with it.
Shortly after I made this post, I decided to send an email to the people over at Alpha OBD and they did say that windows 11 will work just fine. They also recommended I use the OBDLink EX USB cable to connect my laptop to the truck. My Mac does have Bluetooth but I can’t say that I’ve ever checked to see if the windows 11 side of my laptop has access to Bluetooth but either way, I’d rather just have the USB cable anyway being that it’s almost $100 cheaper than the one that has the Bluetooth in it.

They also recommended I get this security module bypass from kaodtech but unfortunately that place is out of stock on those so I don’t know what I’m gonna do just yet because I’d really rather not use the bypass that requires removing the radio.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hope this isn't a hijack, but i've used various tuners over the years and read a lot of threads on alpha obd specifically but still have what feel like silly questions. my problem with a 21 is a lot of threads talk about earlier years which leave me with questions specific to new crap that's been added to our trucks like requiring the security bypass, which module is best for that (and in stock), etc.

my current quest is "simply" adjusting for larger tire size. i have a pulsar which can do that, but i'm not convinced it's the best way. was thinking of pulling out the pulsar and using alphaobd to make a few adjustments, then slap the pulsar back in. what got me questioning the pulsar or other simpler tuners was this video:

he goes through a lot "just" to adjust for tire size including abs adjustments i don't think the pulsar handles. i want to do it right and not just layer on some sort of speedometer hack. i don't have an android or a windows PC so would be buying a tablet or something to run this making it more of an investment. not a big deal if it's the best way and works, but not sure if it would interact with the pulsar at all or if the extra stuff alphaobd does is worth it or just satisfying my ocd tendencies.

anyone running alphaobd + pulsar?

thoughts on the video and abs/etc adjustments i don't think are handled by other tuners?

thanks in advance.