Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpha OBD Ram 2500 5th Gen Use Case: with OBDLink MX Bluetooth module

Discussion in '5th Gen DIY' started by djcwardog, Feb 17, 2020.

1. djcwardog

djcwardog Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 gas
    There is a superb post over in the 4th Gen forum about this topic. However, I wanted to see about adding something for folks with 5th Gen trucks as they are clear to indicate in red that their info is only good for trucks up to 2018. Mine is a 2019 RAM 2500 so some say it’s a “Gen 4.5” but it’s new to me in any regard! Perhaps some of the 4th Gen info is directly transferable to us here, but that’s for us to determine going forward. Maybe some of the key contributors on the 4th Gen forum will want to update us as well.

So, you want to do a few retrofits or enable a few features on your 5th Gen? For example, in my case I am dealing with two things right off. First, I added factory halogen fog lights to my Tradesman and now I want to enable them. Second, I bought a retrofit kit for a UAX 12” infotainment system and everything is great except for the climate controls. My truck came with the UAA 5” radio and manual temperature control (MTC). The 12” screen is touted as providing the automatic temp control (ATC) even if the truck didn’t come that way. Uh, not so much or at least not quite, yet... While I wait for my vendor to send me their solution I am going to see if I can simply return the truck to MTC and hope that the sliders in the radio screen will stay there to allow me to adjust the temp hotter or colder - just like the knobs did.

I’ll write a bit about how to get the coding part rolling next.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. djcwardog

djcwardog Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 gas
    Look at the 4th Gen post, this part is the same for sure.
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Follow their instructions for getting and installing the AlphaOBD software. I am using Windows 10 so that’s all I will be writing about. Here’s their linked Windows startup guide:

http://alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Help.pdf

We definitely need a way to bypass the Security Gateway Module before any coding can occur. If you don’t have a SGM Bypass module, then that same 4th Gen DIY thread quoted above shows a way to have one made for you.

So far so good. I already had the OBDLink MX Bluetooth module from previous coding of other cars (Ford for example using Forscan). If you don’t, then they also tell you how to find one.

As for the SGM Bypass, in my 2500 the thing is directly behind the cluster, not down by the knees and easily accessible like it apparently is for the 5th Gen 1500 crowd. However, 6x 7mm screws later and I had the cluster out and to the left long enough to reach back there and unplug its two harnesses and plug them into my SGM bypass module.

So off I went in trying to read and backup the initial BCM data in my truck... But:

Alpha OBD kept telling me that I had selected an invalid COM port. What? Windows 10 doesn’t easily give up the presence and attributes of COM ports under Device Manager - even after you click on “Show Hidden Devices.” Duh...the lesson: You need to install and run the program that OBDLink provides for free download to support its various devices.

So, go here: https://www.obdlink.com/setup-category/mxbt/#win-mxbt

Do everything up to Step 7 where it will tell you to download and install their own “OBDWiz” software that sets up what you need behind the scenes on your Windows 10 machine for it all to work.

EDITED:

Run that on your Win 10 machine and it sets up the port(s) needed for AlphaOBD to quit telling us that our “COM Port is invalid.” Be sure to close out of this program after you get it working and before you run the AlphaOBD program.

My next post shows the results after I got a coding session up and running inside the truck.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  3. djcwardog

djcwardog Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 gas
    Update: I did the steps above and got my fog light coding to work. Now I get the fog light indication to show in the cluster when I press the fog light portion of the buttons in the center of the headlight switch.

CD965C71-890A-46D2-A403-AD2A6A5E1A2F.jpeg
    Here you see what choice worked for my 2019 2500 truck. Our newest models have yet to appear as choices in AlphaOBD.

98D9CFA2-6D32-4437-9FB0-BBBD76544298.jpeg
    Here is the screen chosen to turn on the fog lights

By the way, as for my second issue...no joy yet on coding for MTC.
    D459A8E6-750D-458A-84B2-9D4332F2B8A0.jpeg
    Here was the screen where I tried to see if I could switch to MTC. No, trying MTC or single ATC resulted in my climate screen showing simply “off.” Oh well, now to see about connecting up my temperature sensor. All that is in a separate thread that I started, here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/use-case-getting-atc-to-work-on-an-mtc-5th-gen-truck.156975/

UPDATE - I noted on that thread that I am abandoning the MTC to ATC effort as my UAX 12" kit is going back to infortainment.com on their RMA.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Nutshell likes this.
  4. bigcitymike

bigcitymike Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Interested in following your efforts.

5. farmallboy

farmallboy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    I have a 2500 tradesman that I would like fog lights on. Where did your kit come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. djcwardog

djcwardog Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 gas