Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaerow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I’m turning to you guys in hope that maybe someone might know the answer to this issue I’m having with my new alpha ex headlights on my 4th gen truck.

just picked these up two days ago from Amazon and installed and swapped over my leds and I’m getting a weird light pattern and I’m not sure where the issue lies. I’m uploading some photos as to what it’s doing.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This would be the first time I’ve ever owned projector style headlights

Attachments

• 4DF55F01-6696-4406-9C0B-65256B6ABA00.jpeg
    4DF55F01-6696-4406-9C0B-65256B6ABA00.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 026FA422-6587-445D-9FC6-6B29DFBEC48D.jpeg
    026FA422-6587-445D-9FC6-6B29DFBEC48D.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 7CDFF177-5B12-47E5-8E57-D3249FE6CC01.jpeg
    7CDFF177-5B12-47E5-8E57-D3249FE6CC01.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
They might not be clocked correctly, that's what it looks like to me ... make sure the flat side of the bulbs when they are inserted are vertical and not horizontal ... then you still might have to adjust them a bit

OP
OP
J

Jaerow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They might not be clocked correctly, that's what it looks like to me ... make sure the flat side of the bulbs when they are inserted are vertical and not horizontal ... then you still might have to adjust them a bit
I definitely will be trying that first thing when I get a chance ! Thank you so much for this !

might have to post a YouTube video just in case someone else has this issue

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What bulbs did you swap over? Unless you previously had alpharex housings or another housing that took an h7, the ones you had will not fit. If you did install h7, you need to clock the bulb with the housing out until you get the best pattern. Just a fair warning, the high beams are going to suck regardless.

OP
OP
J

Jaerow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What bulbs did you swap over? Unless you previously had alpharex housings or another housing that took an h7, the ones you had will not fit. If you did install h7, you need to clock the bulb with the housing out until you get the best pattern. Just a fair warning, the high beams are going to suck regardless.
I swapped these over and I’ve tried rotating them and didn’t get much of a difference honestly. I still have that dark circle as if light is being blocked

Attachments

• 61F93B37-7AC9-42DC-A34E-3A3309932DF3.jpeg
    61F93B37-7AC9-42DC-A34E-3A3309932DF3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I understand LED's in projectors may not be the best combination. LED's work best in reflectors. HID's work best with projectors with only a few exceptions.

These are my LED's in my stock reflectors, clocked properly.

20210826_193843_HDR.jpg

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swapped these over and I’ve tried rotating them and didn’t get much of a difference honestly. I still have that dark circle as if light is being blocked
Not sure how you managed to fit or even plug in those bulbs since those are 9006 and alpharex uses h7 or h1 bulbs.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not clocked correctly. Turn them until you get best output then put them in.

LEDS work great in alpharex housings. I rocked them for years

OP
OP
J

Jaerow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you suing those for your low beams ? Just cause the Amazon listing page says it’s for fog lights ?
Looks like they all say foglight now, I wonder if they just did that so they show up in more Amazon searches or maybe a legal thing because of new headlight regulations that need certification if sold as such?

Important thing is just that you buy the right bulb size. For the aftermarket Alfarex ones, I'm pretty sure it was the weird H7 size.

But I also bought what I thought was best more than a year ago, and LED technology changes so not saying what I put in are the best anymore.

Hikari has new ones that may be better for example for 2021.

Acme-X: https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Acme-X-Brightness-Driving-Vision/dp/B08S34H8L9/
Prime-ZES: https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Ultra-Headlight-Conversion-12000lm/dp/B07VSF45ZM/

Heck, I might even look into their upgrade program. Supposedly they offer a discount on upgraded LEDs if you're a customer with their LEDs that are at least 1 year old.

In any case, Amazon should have free returns, so I would just order top three favorite ones, try them out, and return the other two you don't like (or all of them if they all suck).

If doing it again though, I'd probably not bother even upgrading my high beams, I never use them. The fogs + headlamps both upgraded to LED are so bright that highbeams are kind of pointless, and if you switch to full highbeams the fog lights turn off so it doesn't seem any brighter. I basically only use highbeams as a way to signal other drivers, which any cheapos or halogens would do just fine.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like they all say foglight now, I wonder if they just did that so they show up in more Amazon searches or maybe a legal thing because of new headlight regulations that need certification if sold as such?

Important thing is just that you buy the right bulb size. For the aftermarket Alfarex ones, I'm pretty sure it was the weird H7 size.

But I also bought what I thought was best more than a year ago, and LED technology changes so not saying what I put in are the best anymore.

Hikari has new ones that may be better for example for 2021.

Acme-X: https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Acme-X-Brightness-Driving-Vision/dp/B08S34H8L9/
Prime-ZES: https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Ultra-Headlight-Conversion-12000lm/dp/B07VSF45ZM/

Heck, I might even look into their upgrade program. Supposedly they offer a discount on upgraded LEDs if you're a customer with their LEDs that are at least 1 year old.

In any case, Amazon should have free returns, so I would just order top three favorite ones, try them out, and return the other two you don't like (or all of them if they all suck).

If doing it again though, I'd probably not bother even upgrading my high beams, I never use them. The fogs + headlamps both upgraded to LED are so bright that highbeams are kind of pointless, and if you switch to full highbeams the fog lights turn off so it doesn't seem any brighter. I basically only use highbeams as a way to signal other drivers, which any cheapos or halogens would do just fine.
Personally, I'd skip leds for the low beams and stick with hid. Hids still surpass leds in brightness and beam pattern. Now, that said, I don't know how you can say the high beams are pointless because the lows and fogs are so bright. The lows did ok lighting up right in front of the truck, fogs helped too, but I couldn't see anything in the distance thanks to the sharp cutoff. Now, that said, the alpharex housings that use the dual h7 projectors have an absolutely terrible high beam pattern, and is basically useless, but I'd still upgrade it so it matched the lows. Also, alfaobd can get rid of the fog light drop out in high beam...