AlphaOBD and DTE correction for 51 gal Tank Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Just looking at my log file which I saved before making any changes and I do not see any reference to fuel capacity in the ECU Config 4 section which is per your snapshot above.

Exactly. I think a lot of us thought it was a set it and forget it situation.

When new software code is introduced with new vehicles Alfaobd has to be able to make the necessary changes. When I updated the app per the Google play store request all of these new features were presented.

New comers to the software have been making changes in other areas than say 2 years ago for stuff like HID, LED, gas tank size etc.

Since Nov of 2019 you now have certain ECU flashing abilities to add as well. Nice feature!

It wasn't until new people started asking questions that I discovered all of these new features myself. I am no expert on the changes so I have been methodical on what I change and research the changes others have made both successfully and unsuccessfully.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Did you do the install yourself of have it done? After the install, did you change the capacity values in both locations per the comments above?

I had the tank installed by the vendor. I only made the change in the vehicle configuration module, didn’t note the second location before so will do the same in the ECU module tomorrow. I should point out that I wasn’t able to fill the tank (long story), so my reading of the gauge as being correct is a bit of a guesstimate for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram5thwheel

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I had the tank installed by the vendor. I only made the change in the vehicle configuration module, didn’t note the second location before so will do the same in the ECU module tomorrow. I should point out that I wasn’t able to fill the tank (long story), so my reading of the gauge as being correct is a bit of a guesstimate for now.

Not sure why could not fill tank. Interested if problem solved. If you can not fill to capacity, I would have to rethink making the change to the larger tank. Getting ready to get camper out once snow gone and have several long trips planned and want extra fuel capacity.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Not sure why could not fill tank. Interested if problem solved. If you can not fill to capacity, I would have to rethink making the change to the larger tank. Getting ready to get camper out once snow gone and have several long trips planned and want extra fuel capacity.

I initially thought the issue was a blocked air vent, and had the installer verify ok. The word from Titan is that their tanks don’t have baffles to prevent foam buildup, as the stock tanks do, which sometimes results in difficulty filling up. I’ve seen comments along those lines in this and other forums which suggests it’s a known issue. The only solution I’ve seen to date is a basically to continue pumping until the tank fills. I haven’t yet had the time to attempt. So far, the pump initially shuts off at around 40 gal, and I’ve had the patience to squeeze in another 3-4. S&B is another brand I’ve seen around the interwebs, I think you should check reviews on them before buying the Titan tank.

Does anyone know if it would help to fill up at truck pumps instead?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I initially thought the issue was a blocked air vent, and had the installer verify ok. The word from Titan is that their tanks don’t have baffles to prevent foam buildup, as the stock tanks do, which sometimes results in difficulty filling up. I’ve seen comments along those lines in this and other forums which suggests it’s a known issue. The only solution I’ve seen to date is a basically to continue pumping until the tank fills. I haven’t yet had the time to attempt. So far, the pump initially shuts off at around 40 gal, and I’ve had the patience to squeeze in another 3-4. S&B is another brand I’ve seen around the interwebs, I think you should check reviews on them before buying the Titan tank.

Does anyone know if it would help to fill up at truck pumps instead?

I bet it might help to fill on the slowest pump setting.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Walt Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I have previously adjusted the tank volume (I have the 50+ gallon Titan) and that "fixed" the DTE in the cluster, however the gauge itself is as reliable as a politician. When I first installed the tank and the FASS pump, the gauge only worked between 1/4 and just over 1/2 of a tank on the cluster. At a full tank I was reading just over 1/2. It would hang out there for a few hundred miles and then go screaming for 1/4, which is actually near empty. A few months later it started working all the way to E, from 1/2, and now a full tank shows just over 3/4 on the cluster and empty is E. I tried to change the percentages in the Configuration section of the Body Computer but they are fixed at 91% for full, 2% for Empty, and I think 8% for LFW. It's maddening and I have to keep using my trip set to guess my fuel level.

Any thoughts or guidance?

Last edited:

twhiteside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have previously adjusted the tank volume (I have the 50+ gallon Titan) and that "fixed" the DTE in the cluster, however the gauge itself is as reliable as a politician. When I first installed the tank and the FASS pump, the gauge only worked between 1/4 and just over 1/2 of a tank on the cluster. At a full tank I was reading just over 1/2. It would hang out there for a few hundred miles and then go screaming for 1/4, which is actually near empty. A few months later it started working all the way to E, from 1/2, and now a full tank shows just over 3/4 on the cluster and empty is E. I tried to change the percentages in the Configuration section of the Body Computer but they are fixed at 91% for full, 2% for Empty, and I think 8% for LFW. It's maddening and I have to keep using my trip set to guess my fuel level.

Any thoughts or guidance?
Walt - I installed the Titan 44 Gallon Tank in my 2018 Ram 3500. Using AlfaOBD, I changed the VehConfig 3: Fuel Capacity value from 121.000 to 194.000 based on some of the things I read. (My fuel tank is completely full) After making the Tank Capacity change, the fuel gauge dropped to slightly below 3/4. I also tried the change with ECUConfig 4: Fuel Capacity (it was by default 000.000) - I changed it to 194.000 also. No change.

I then changed the values back to stock and the fuel gauge went back to full.

It seems to me that there is a reset or something needed? Just changing the Tank Capacity value seems to cause the computer controlling the fuel gauge to think the same voltage from the fuel sender when it was 121.000L equates to slightly below 3/4 of a tank when the capacity is set to 194.000L.

I'm not sure what to try? Disconnecting the batteries after the change?

Sailing Santa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the S&B 52 gallon tank and since it was a new install, I put the Fleece pump in at the same time. Also put in the Black Market Performance fuel filter changeover kits in. Now that that has been done, I’ve got to tackle the programming. All the AlfaOBD stuff I see here looks like it was done on a phone app? I’ve got the Bluetooth plugin, but just a laptop and I’m having challenges finding the same things you’re pointing to. Is it different for the Windows laptop?

Sailing Santa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put in the S&B 52 gallon tank and the Fleece in tank pump. I also swapped to the Black Market Performance spin-on fuel filters/separators.

I’ve got a OBDLinkMX+ Bluetooth plug and hopefully it’ll work for programming.

nlbarber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I put in the S&B 52 gallon tank and the Fleece in tank pump. I also swapped to the Black Market Performance spin-on fuel filters/separators.

I believe you will also need to purchase a security module bypass that goes between your OBDLinkMX+ and computer. There are also some auxiliary wires to install. I have not yet done this but did purchase KAODtech SKU BY19HD for the task. I also had the S&B Tank installed last weekend and am looking forward to modifying the tank capacity.
Security Module Bypass
SKU: BY19HD
Model: RAM 2019+ 5th Gen HD (2500+)
Price: $55.00

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins

Have you try it yet I had a 52gals titan fuel install and I'm looking to change it?

18RamBH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Walt - I installed the Titan 44 Gallon Tank in my 2018 Ram 3500. Using AlfaOBD, I changed the VehConfig 3: Fuel Capacity value from 121.000 to 194.000 based on some of the things I read. (My fuel tank is completely full) After making the Tank Capacity change, the fuel gauge dropped to slightly below 3/4. I also tried the change with ECUConfig 4: Fuel Capacity (it was by default 000.000) - I changed it to 194.000 also. No change.

I then changed the values back to stock and the fuel gauge went back to full.

It seems to me that there is a reset or something needed? Just changing the Tank Capacity value seems to cause the computer controlling the fuel gauge to think the same voltage from the fuel sender when it was 121.000L equates to slightly below 3/4 of a tank when the capacity is set to 194.000L.

I'm not sure what to try? Disconnecting the batteries after the change?
Did you get this figured out? My truck is doing the same thing after setting the capacity in both places to 194L. Thanks

photo nomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Did you get this figured out? My truck is doing the same thing after setting the capacity in both places to 194L. Thanks
Has anyone solved this issue? Just put a Titan 52g in my 2018 Ram 2500, and when I change the tank volume to 194L mine also drops below 3/4 of a tank even though it is completely full.

Richierich84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Has anyone solved this issue? Just put a Titan 52g in my 2018 Ram 2500, and when I change the tank volume to 194L mine also drops below 3/4 of a tank even though it is completely full.
I also now have this issue and have seen others not experience it. Any help?

Cporche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I installed my s&b tank yesterday. after researching i had a feeling i wouldnt be able to get anywhere where the dte. I have the same issue aswell, literally any number over 121 liters and i start coming off of the full line. The DTE never changes. I will probably play around with it more this weekend and see if i can play with some of the level readings after increasing to the 194liter (from other forums this is the highest that can be used.)

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
I'm about to try this myself on my '22 2500 CCSB (but my expectations are very low). I installed the Titan 52 gallon tank last weekend.

On my first fill-up with the Titan installed I used HPTuners to read the fuel level sending unit voltage as I filled, taking readings every 5 gallons at the pump. At 40 gallons the sending unit voltage stopped changing. I believe it is at it's mechanical limit at that point. The Titan tank is significantly taller than the factory tank and the sending unit just isn't designed for that extra height.

I made this chart up to show the sending unit voltage as I filled and compare gauge readings to actual fuel level. Tank geometry really screws with the readings. Between 15-20 gallons gauge goes from 5/16 to 5/8 of a tank.

Screenshot_2023-05-25-22-44-48-706.jpeg

I would assume that this will be the same (or close) for anyone going from the 31 to 52 gallon tank. This picture shows the two tanks side by side, you can see how deep the sending unit is recessed in the new tank. I don't know of any way to make the gauge read correctly, all the programming in the world can't change the physical limitations of the sending unit.

IMG_2148.jpg

Last edited:

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
I thought I'd update my progress so far. I've had the 52 gallon Titan installed for about 6 weeks now and have run a couple of tanks through it. I filled up today and decided to give AlfaOBD a try.
I changed "VehConfig 3: Fuel Capacity (36-290L)" from 117 to 194 Liters. No other changes were made. DTE increased to 883 miles and the gauge stayed on Full. I'll run through this tank and see how the gauge responds, but I'm going to take the win on the DTE.
Screenshot_2023-07-11-17-24-55-967[4028].jpegIMG_2023-07-11-17-13-58-538[4027].jpg

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I installed my s&b tank yesterday. after researching i had a feeling i wouldnt be able to get anywhere where the dte. I have the same issue aswell, literally any number over 121 liters and i start coming off of the full line. The DTE never changes. I will probably play around with it more this weekend and see if i can play with some of the level readings after increasing to the 194liter (from other forums this is the highest that can be used.)

If you change the tank capacity to what it actually is the fuel level will drop. It's a function of the calculations. How far are you guys driving the trucks after making the change?

Realize we own adaptive computerized vehicles. The truck has to have time to learn the changes given just like we do. The magic number required is in the programming for adaptive capabilities to be complete

rtrthebear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I am new to the forum and have been reading through the pages here. I am wanting to upgrade my fuel tank to the S&B 52 gallon. I am wondering if anyone has figured out the AlfaOBD in correcting the DTE and does the fuel gauge read correctly? Should you keep the original diesel sending unit or by an aftermarket? Does that change correct the gauge? Thank you in advance for help. I hope I posted this in the correct place.