AlphaOBD bypass cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can anyone enlighten my on what this bypass cable is. I tried to have a local neighbour do the foglight drop out on the wifes 2019 Challenger,that's tuned utilizing HP's bypass cable,but he couldn't link to the car. Is the AlphaOBD bypass cable a specific cable,i was under the impression as long as you had a bypass cable in place,OBD would work on the newer vehicles,but apparenly i'm wrong.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It is not an "Alfaobd" bypass cable. It is a security module bypass cable for the truck. I do not know if the Challenger uses the same cable.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d go to kaodtech.com and email them to see if the challenger’s use the same security module and if the bypass cable they have for the Rams would work.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can anyone enlighten my on what this bypass cable is. I tried to have a local neighbour do the foglight drop out on the wifes 2019 Challenger,that's tuned utilizing HP's bypass cable,but he couldn't link to the car. Is the AlphaOBD bypass cable a specific cable,i was under the impression as long as you had a bypass cable in place,OBD would work on the newer vehicles,but apparenly i'm wrong.
You can buy the cable from Z Automotive. Cost me around $60 ca
If you have HP bypass cable, it should do the same thing.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was under the impression,a bypass cable was a bypass cable,but i'm apparently wrong aarrgghh,lol. I know the HP bypass cable is the same for the cars as the trucks,but he couldn't get his AlphaOBD to link to the car.It's not a big deal,as all i wanted was the foglight drop out done on the car,but it still kind of baffles me on why it wouldn't work,when the car has the HP cable in place and is tuned

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If HP works with bypass cable its got to be a AlphaOBD thing or the OBD device.

SB-SBP006.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Now i'm wondering. The HP cable doesn't plug into the obd port,it actually plugs in on the back side of the radio.
I think your barking up the right tree. The typical bypass "cable" is basically a jumper around the security gateway so devices can write to devices on the vehicle comm busses. That HP cable looks like it attaches on the comm buss behind the security gateway to allow direct communication on the comm bus.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think your barking up the right tree. The typical bypass "cable" is basically a jumper around the security gateway so devices can write to devices on the vehicle comm busses. That HP cable looks like it attaches on the comm buss behind the security gateway to allow direct communication on the comm bus.
I'll be the first to admit,i'm a bit baffled on why he couldn't link to the car. Computor stuff is out of my league,lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
History lesson:
Round about 2015 there was a (now famous) youtube video and Wired story, where hackers remotely took over a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was being driven around ...and documented it. They shut it down, locked the doors and some other things. Basically showed that someone could take over an owner's (maybe your) car. Suddenly, a stalker, criminal or foreign agent could basically take over your vehicle and even shut it down even at a place of their choosing (possibly), and even steer it into a berm (possibly). Think of that risk: You pay good money for a car and then it can be easily taken control of by a 14 year old in Russia?! Or N. Koreans. This was during a time when there were a number of high-profile corporate and govt hacker break-in's and massive personal data breaches by foreign groups/gov't's.

That sparked a lot of news and debate and spooked some people: It was in the news and all over the car magazines. Now your car isn't even safe! How to strike a balance between serviceability and security? FCA wanted to get ahead of the problem before getting a black eye. Some people may claim mfgrs are trying to monopolize service, but, they could have implemented service 'keys' years earlier. Anyway, here is more on the SGW:

Ultimately you can still service your vehicle -- it just takes a little more effort. Anyway, that's kind of how we get to today.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Now i'm wondering. The HP cable doesn't plug into the obd port,it actually plugs in on the back side of the radio.

Didn't realize HP bypass was different.......fairly certain you would need the bypass that works with OBD port for AlphaOBD.
OBD port bypass cable is what I use with Smartbox for programming key fobs

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

Minnichds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just purchased a bypass from ECRI. I don’t see where to plug it in. Does anyone have pictures and a good description?