AlphaOBD Hardware Preference

Android or PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I asked this in the alphaOBD thread...but with 100s of posts it is unlikely anyone sees it...so I figured I would make a clean/new thread:

Based on reading all through this: Android vs PC seems to be a personal preference?

I have an amazon Fire and a Windows Tablet (Microsoft Surface)....so I'm debating on if I should get the Android or PC version. Both are very portable and have WiFi for when I get the OBDLink MX and security cable.

Is it only personal preference then? I see some like one over the other; but I haven't read anything that is capability related.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run it on a Samsung A7. I preferred it ran on my iPhone X tho [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use both Android and PC with the OBDLink Bluetooth MX (connected via Bluetooth). I believe it is all personal preference. I find myself going back and forth between the two. My Android version is up to date with the newest release all the time and I usually stay back a version or two with the laptop.

OP
OP
Tankerpilot01

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I use both Android and PC with the OBDLink Bluetooth MX (connected via Bluetooth). I believe it is all personal preference. I find myself going back and forth between the two. My Android version is up to date with the newest release all the time and I usually stay back a version or two with the laptop.

You had to pay for both versions of software then in that case is that right?

I think I remember reading that on the alphaOBD website. I was thinking to save some money to just have it on either not both...mmm

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have it on my Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab E, Android 7.1) and my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 8.0). I find it far easier to bring the tablet or phone out to the truck than to lug one of my laptops out there. The tablet is my usual device for using AlphaOBD, the phone has it installed as a backup.

-K

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a Samsung Galaxy Android tablet. I like the bigger screen versus using a phone. It’s the first android anything I have ever owned but I really like it. I had been wanting a WiFi tablet to use around the house and the alfaobd just added another reason to buy one so I got it and have no regrets, heck I rarely sit behind a PC at home anymore aside from paying bills lol

Clay Routh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Deisel
I use a Dell 6520 laptop. I found the OBD2 adapter I had previously purchased for another application a while back worked fine, has both can bus circuits, etc. Haven't really gotten to do much more than see if it would connect due to available time, recently, but it connected fine on both my 2009 2500 Cummins, and my 2015 Challenger R/T. However, as everyone seemed to find the Android and MX combination preferable, I ordered the MX bluetooth yesterday. I have three Android phones (Motorola Razr HD rooted, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Samsung S8+) so I'll buy the software on one of those. Probably the S8+ since it is the one I presently use and has 250G (plus some) of storage. I would have bought the less expensive LX bluetooth device (a friend had one, it seemed to work fine with the laptop) but who knows what I might want to plug into in the future. To me, tools are tools, and if I'm going to buy a tool, I prefer to buy the most universally use tools I can find.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have three Android phones (Motorola Razr HD rooted, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Samsung S8+) so I'll buy the software on one of those. Probably the S8+ since it is the one I presently use and has 250G (plus some) of storage..

The AlphaOBD license is attached to your Google Play Store account, so as long as all three of the phones are on the same account, you will be able to install it on all three if you want. I keep it on both my phone and tablet and when new releases come out I install it on only one of them until it's confirmed there are no major bugs. :)

-K

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run it on a Samsung A7. I preferred it ran on my iPhone X tho [emoji24]

I just bought the Samsung tab a 7” just for this darned thing because I’ve got an iphone

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought the Samsung tab a 7” just for this darned thing because I’ve got an iphone

Why not the cheaper Amazon Fire (or Fire HD) tablet?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not the cheaper Amazon Fire (or Fire HD) tablet?
110$ from amazon free shipping plus I can do whatever else with it. Plus I didn’t even think about the Amazon tablet

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a "free" android 8" tablet from my cell provider and find the 8" tablet small enough to bne handy BUT large enough to actually use / see the information
have AE on the laptop and find taking the PC to the truck a pain in the *rse
++ android play store version is "portable" between devices and the PC is device locked ++ the store will ALWAYS have it unless ALPHAOBD does something to remove it or changes licencing ETC so if MY version is corrupted / lost ETC it is EZ to be back up and running