Alphaobd Mileage Correction Notes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please tell me there is a way to determine if the mileage has been changed! I can see a potential here for unscrupulous individuals lowering their mileage for resale value.

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Please tell me there is a way to determine if the mileage has been changed! I can see a potential here for unscrupulous individuals lowering their mileage for resale value.

Dealers have the ability to read where mileage is stored (other than the cluster).

There are plenty of 3rd party companies that offer mileage adjustment for our truck's especially 13+ from $75-300. So alfaobd is just another option. But alfaobd isn't guaranteed to work on a constant basis. It's been really hit or miss lately. Because it's designed to work with a majority of FCA vehicles and a lot share the same or similar parts when ever Alexey (the creator) makes adjustments for other models it seems to effect the rest. Seems mostly with mileage correction.

This topic has been discussed plenty of times when it was first learned that he was adding the option.

You can just buy a used cluster with less mileage and swap it in if you wanted.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck: 2019 Classic 1500 5.7
Trim: Tradesman
Original Radio: 2019 Uconnect 4 8.4"
Current radio: 2019 Uconnect 4 8.4"
Cluster: 2016 Ram 1500
Dongle: Obdlink MX +
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8
AlphaOBD: 2.1.9.5
Mileage: Error, not completed successfully, did not change mileage.
Hours: No error (finally), completed successfully, changed lifetime engine and idle hours after many unsuccessful attempts

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck: 2014 Ram 1500
Radio: ra2 5.0
Old cluster: 3.5"
New cluster: 7"
Dongle OBDLink MX +
Phone: Samsung S10
Alfa obd: 2.1.9.6

Millage/Vin/hours would not change.
Found someone near me with version 2.1.7.6

With 2167 I was able to successfully change the mileage and hours.

milage was off by 1.4 though

317 idle
2690 drive
3007 total

Idle reset worked but after powering down and restart the idle went to 318 drive 2689 total stayed at 3007.

Last edited:

G56Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turba Deeesil
Successful
I have a 2017 Ram 2500. I was able to program a cluster from a 2018 w/ OBDLink MX and ALFAOBD v. 2.1.9.5. It took on the first try and no issue. Never displayed the "Continental" logo. At the time this was done, my fire tablet, OBDLink, and AlfaOBD were not up to date.

Unsuccessful
I went to program a cluster from a 2014 for my dad's 2014 and it will not program. I have updated ALFA to 2.1.9.6, I have updated the OBDLink, I have updated my Fire tablet. Would not program in my 2017. I then drove to my dads and installed in his 2014 with the same response. It displays the Continental logo and at that point I know its a waste of time. I even tried selecting "3.5 cluster," to see if that would do it and sadly it does not. What is more disappointing is that I have emailed Alexey twice now and no response yet, but maybe due to the holidays. I've read a couple of guys who got the windows version and that worked. I'm open to any solutions or things to try.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck: 2014 Ram 1500
Radio: ra2 5.0
Old cluster: 3.5"
New cluster: 7"
Dongle OBDLink MX +
Phone: Samsung S10
Alfa obd: 2.1.9.6

Millage/Vin/hours would not change.
Found someone near me with version

With 2167 I was able to successfully change the mileage and hours.

milage was off by 1.4 though

317 idle
2690 drive
3007 total

Idle reset worked but after powering down and restart the idle went to 318 drive 2689 total stayed at 3007.

blue285k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the risk of being long winded I'm running out of options myself on getting the mileage correction to take on my 2017 2500 SLT Diesel. The donor cluster came from 2015 eco diesel Laramie. I had started with the last release of android app and the obd link+. The only thing I could do successfully with my android app was change my TPMS (I had previous gotten my PIN) but could not change engine hours, or mileage. (even updated the MX+ firmware) I had emailed Alexey and he graciously responded and sent me a link for the windows version which allowed me to change the idle hours and life time hours but disappointedly I still haven't been able to correct the mileage. (tried several gyrations of the procedure and deviations cycle the key and what not.) I also tried the VIN update to the IPC and it was a strange experience to say the least. The VIN write procedure after a few moments responded procedure failed and then the IPC appeared to just lock-up on the continental splash screen for several minutes (Even with the key off) then as I'm thinking I just made a brick out of my IPC finally powers off. The good news is the IPC powers back up and appears fine and when I look at the log it indicates it took my VIN. As I stated in my opening I can't get the mileage to update with either the android or windows version. Open for suggestions

Thanks

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I didn't see this thread before but lately I've been having issues with the mileage correction and the engine hours, also the vin write keeps telling me procedure failed, all that's changed from my end is that I also downloaded the app to my tablet, but didn't even get to use it since I don't carry the tablet everywhere like my phone.

Phone: Note 8
Obdlink Mx+
2014 big horn has had three different 2014 premium clusters, a 2018 and a 2013. No issues whatsoever.

Also:

2015 Express > 2014 7" cluster, took right away, even changed language no issues.

2018 Express > 2018 7" cluster but this one I programmed on my truck. Splash screen changed once installed on the 2018, weird.

2015 Express > 2014 7" cluster no issues whatsoever.

2014 Bighorn > 2015 7" cluster no issues.

2015 Bighorn > 2016 7" cluster no issues

2015 Express > 2017 7" cluster no issues, this one was also programmed in my truck but everything worked perfectly once installed on the Express, even splash screen.

2018 Tradesman > 2014 7" cluster, tried with the bypass module, everything connected just the same but the mileage correction wouldn't take, same with hours and vin. Ended up programming in my truck only after multiple attempts was the cluster finally programmed.

Tip for 2018+ Rams, get the bypass harness, the module has to go behind radio and it is not an easy to reach spot :D

2017 2500 Tradesman > 2014 7" ecodiesel cluster, only took mileage after selecting the 3.5" option when correcting odometer. Hours would not take, played around with the interface request timeout times and would not make any difference. Def Gauge would not read accurately, at all.

Same 2017 2500 Tradesman > 2015 7" ecodiesel cluster, same thing as with the 2014 one. But Def gauge worked correctly.

On alfaobd I've also done:

LED high beams
LED low beams
led fog lights
led reverse lights
Side mirrors signal lights
puddle lights
Global window down
Power folding mirrors present
Power folding door modules present
Side mirrors tilt in reverse
Disabled park assist system

I may be forgetting something, but that's all I remember at the time of this post :D

From what I read here I do notice the 2017+ years being the ones getting more issues with lower year clusters, specially the 2 above this post being 2017 2500 diesels, I know the feeling guys lol

Ps. Sorry for the long ass post haha

RonanF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to this forum. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and recently got alphaobd and was curious what body computer I should use for making changes to the configuration.

RebeLord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2014 ram 1500 express
3.5 cluster to 7 inch premium cluster

got the premium cluster and had it all hooked up and tried to change the miles and hours to no avail and the "P" for park on the cluster was blinking (that normal for these clusters?) Running app on a note 20, have the obdlink mx+ and I did update it to current version and it seems to work OK and to be communicating. But every time I try to reset the miles and hours it fails saying no data recieved from ecm/interface or data corrupted. I tried it about 10 different times and still nothing. About 3 hours of trying. I've read some of what I could find in the forum but nothing has worked. Anyone with more alfa experience got some advice or ideas for me to try that will work?

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
New to this forum. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and recently got alphaobd and was curious what body computer I should use for making changes to the configuration.
since its a 2019 you'll need the security bypass module or harness. i do have the brand new module from infotainment. I don't need it since my ram is a 2014

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
2014 ram 1500 express
3.5 cluster to 7 inch premium cluster

got the premium cluster and had it all hooked up and tried to change the miles and hours to no avail and the "P" for park on the cluster was blinking (that normal for these clusters?) Running app on a note 20, have the obdlink mx+ and I did update it to current version and it seems to work OK and to be communicating. But every time I try to reset the miles and hours it fails saying no data recieved from ecm/interface or data corrupted. I tried it about 10 different times and still nothing. About 3 hours of trying. I've read some of what I could find in the forum but nothing has worked. Anyone with more alfa experience got some advice or ideas for me to try that will work?
I've had the exact same issue, for me when updating mileage and selecting the 3.5 option on alfaobd has worked for mileage, hours have been trickier and like you I've spent hours attempting this without resolve, though I've read of people contacting the app creator and getting the windows version of the app and resolving this.

RebeLord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had the exact same issue, for me when updating mileage and selecting the 3.5 option on alfaobd has worked for mileage, hours have been trickier and like you I've spent hours attempting this without resolve, though I've read of people contacting the app creator and getting the windows version of the app and resolving this.
I tried the 3.5 selection as well and it said that it completed but didn't change right away. I'll see if it does after resting for a day. But I'm not sure if it will from what I was seeing it do. I have emailed the creator but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully they do get back to me soon.

Mike_White

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
At the risk of being long winded I'm running out of options myself on getting the mileage correction to take on my 2017 2500 SLT Diesel. The donor cluster came from 2015 eco diesel Laramie. I had started with the last release of android app and the obd link+. The only thing I could do successfully with my android app was change my TPMS (I had previous gotten my PIN) but could not change engine hours, or mileage. (even updated the MX+ firmware) I had emailed Alexey and he graciously responded and sent me a link for the windows version which allowed me to change the idle hours and life time hours but disappointedly I still haven't been able to correct the mileage. (tried several gyrations of the procedure and deviations cycle the key and what not.) I also tried the VIN update to the IPC and it was a strange experience to say the least. The VIN write procedure after a few moments responded procedure failed and then the IPC appeared to just lock-up on the continental splash screen for several minutes (Even with the key off) then as I'm thinking I just made a brick out of my IPC finally powers off. The good news is the IPC powers back up and appears fine and when I look at the log it indicates it took my VIN. As I stated in my opening I can't get the mileage to update with either the android or windows version. Open for suggestions

Thanks
Same thing happen to me. I just upgraded 3.5" cluster to the 7" in my 2018 2500. I'm using AlphaOBD ver 2.2.0.0 on my android tablet. After couple tries... I was able to change the odometer with correct mileage, but can't get the Lifetime Idle and Engine Hours to take. Also, tried to add VIN write and done same thing as you described. I thought the damn thing was toast because the Continental screen stayed on for long time - with the key fob completely removed. Eventually, it turned off and came back ok. How can I get in touch with app creator to see about getting Windows app? Did you have to pay same price for Windows version?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can Anyone help and give us a valid answer? I was told on another thread we could match up the mileage with the miles written to the PCM using AlfaOBD, we replaced a broken 3.5" odometer with a 7" and could only guess the actual mileage because we never wrote it down. How do we look at the PCM mileage in AlfaOBD to set it exact? We haven't heard back yet and we wanted to set it properly this weekend. My buddy is freaking out because his mileage might not be exact so he wants the exact mileage on the new odometer so he doesn't run into issues if it needs to go to the dealer at a later date.
Connect to the engine module, and read the system status. You will find four odometer locations- 0,1,2,3. These are the mileages stored from each wheel speed sensor. For reference, my locations are showing:
0- 49020.93
1- 49029.12
2- 49037.31
3- 49045.50
My odometer in the EVIC shows 49043.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To add to my above post. Another way you could determine the mileage, if the truck hasn’t been driven since the swap:
Reinstall the 3.5 cluster, connect to the instrument panel and go through the steps of changing the mileage by entering any number. Press start, and it will inform you of what the current mileage is set to on that 3.5 cluster.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Connect to the engine module, and read the system status. You will find four odometer locations- 0,1,2,3. These are the mileages stored from each wheel speed sensor. For reference, my locations are showing:
0- 49020.93
1- 49029.12
2- 49037.31
3- 49045.50
My odometer in the EVIC shows 49043.
Can you be more specific on where to do this in Alfa?, newbie to AlfaOBD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To add to my above post. Another way you could determine the mileage, if the truck hasn’t been driven since the swap:
Reinstall the 3.5 cluster, connect to the instrument panel and go through the steps of changing the mileage by entering any number. Press start, and it will inform you of what the current mileage is set to on that 3.5 cluster.
3.5 cluster is dead and gone :( not to mention he has to drive it so has been driving it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio