AlphaOBD2 / regen & monitors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chopperman1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Parked my truck for a month, battery went dead and tripped all my monitors. Truck needs to go through 2 regen cycles to clear the last 3 through regular process. That’s gonna cost about $1k in fuel LOL.

anyway to clear the monitors or force a regen manually / stationary?

I have AlphaOBD2 software and have used it a few times for basic stuff, but this one is over my head. I’ve read it can be done, but have yet to see any documented procedures or general guidelines.

any and all help is appreciated.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What I’m hearing, the battery replacements have set all your IM Readiness monitors as not ready. If that’s the case, not actual CEL codes, you’ll need to drive your truck in stop and go traffic for awhile and a few runs to 50mph, they should set in a few hundred miles.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Parked my truck for a month, battery went dead and tripped all my monitors. Truck needs to go through 2 regen cycles to clear the last 3 through regular process. That’s gonna cost about $1k in fuel LOL.

anyway to clear the monitors or force a regen manually / stationary?

I have AlphaOBD2 software and have used it a few times for basic stuff, but this one is over my head. I’ve read it can be done, but have yet to see any documented procedures or general guidelines.

any and all help is appreciated.
Here are my notes for an Ecodiesel Alfa regen. I've never tried it so cannot say it works. Hope it helps you.

AlfaODB will show a soot level of 100-140% before and 9% after, takes about 25 minutes.

a) Start the truck and drive around or let it idle until the coolant temperature > 142 F
b) Plug in and pair the bluetooth adapter in AlfaODB, select your vehicle year/model/etc. (This example is a 2017 and AlfaODB report it as a 2015 Bosch EDC17 ECU).
c) With the key/ignition in the on position but truck not started use the AlfaODB Faults screen to read all faults then clear faults.
d) Turn the ignition completely off, open and shut driver door, wait a moment, then back to ignition on/not started
e) Select "DPF Regeneration Enabling" from the AlfaODB Active Diagnostics screen
f) Start the truck, then -- with no pedals pressed -- immediately select "Particulate filter regeneration" from the AlfaODB Active Diagnostics screen. Note: If the truck is not up to temp, pedals are pressed, codes are present or the DPF Regeneration Enabling trigger is not set this step will fail.
g)When the "Particular filter regeneration" starts, the truck's idle will raise to around 2500 rpms. 20-25 minutes later the truck will drop back to a normal idle and the dash errors (Service Required, See Dealer, etc) will go away when it finishes.

Forum posters say there are two options:
1 - 'DPF Regeneration Enabling' performs a moving regen during next drive cycle,(you have to shut the ignition off and open the door)
2 - 'Particulate Filter Regeneration' performs a parked regen when coolant is over 140f

Flanagan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 longhorn and have tried using AlphaOBD to initiate a DPF regeneration process using either a Veepeak VP01 or BLE+ plug in. It will read all of the monitors and clear all of the faults but when I try and get it to initiate the regen, it says no communication with the ECU, do I have to have a bypass cable or some other trick to get this to work?