Alpharex lighting upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I had the alpharex g2 pros on my 19 classic. Had similar issues with the bulb out warning. It's correctable with resistors if alfaobd can't eliminate the errors. That said, I am currently running a set of alpharex made oem style projectors with hid low beams, led highs and have zero issues. I've changed all my bulb settings to led/hid and set my turn signals to function as the drl. The beam pattern is pretty good, highs are very functional (something I really didn't like about the g2 pros was the poor high beam pattern). The lights fit and function great and are well worth the money, especially if you like the look of the oem projector setups. Either way, you'll want to get the kaodtech security bypass harness, alfaobd and a blue obd2 adapter so that you can change the settings. I'd also recommend hid for low beam projectors to get the best pattern and output. FYI, none of my bulbs are canbus compatible nor am I using resistors or capacitors or other modules to make things work.

View attachment 248944

View attachment 248945

Those look good. Which LED bulbs did you go with?

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the Alpharex Novas. No codes. Couldn't be happier.

From the AlphaRex site, NOVA SKU 880541 specifically, "Dodge Ram is well-known as a very tricky car to modify, its computer will reset almost anything that is an add-on and lead to error-code or flickering. We have spent a good amount of time to figure out how to solve the problem. "

I have not seen that same info on the LUXX series pages, not even on all of the NOVA ones, so maybe they didn't bother figuring out what went wrong and applied it to the LUXX, just the NOVAs.

From using Alpharex, I strongly agree stay away from Alpharex.

What are your specific issues?

It's pretty much what I expected because my turn signals were LED from the factory, so no turn signal code.

I wonder if that is where some of the issues that people have been having.

Yes, I realize this is almost a year since the last post, but I am interested in hearing people's specific experiences regarding AlphaRex lights, and others. More specific information as well, like what style headlights did your truck (or other vehicle) have stock from the factory, and what you replaced it with? Like, did you have stock projector headlights in your 2021 Ram 1500 Classic, with factory LED tail lights (my truck, for 1 example)? I am looking at the AlphaRex, because I like the looks of some of their replacement headlights.

But, if someone has a problem with a specific manufacturer, "don't get Brand X because they suck" without specifics is not very helpful.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
From the AlphaRex site, NOVA SKU 880541 specifically, "Dodge Ram is well-known as a very tricky car to modify, its computer will reset almost anything that is an add-on and lead to error-code or flickering. We have spent a good amount of time to figure out how to solve the problem. "

I have not seen that same info on the LUXX series pages, not even on all of the NOVA ones, so maybe they didn't bother figuring out what went wrong and applied it to the LUXX, just the NOVAs.

I'm sure that's part of some people's issues. The computer expects to see a lower wattage load for the turn signals so when I changed out the factory projectors to Alpharex, there was a nominal (if any) change, so I had no codes. My Nova install was straightforward and without issue.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running the G2s in for almost 2 years now. I did have the parking light issue. Alfaobd couldn't correct it but the resistors did. Alpharex sent me a set but I didn't use them. Took the advice of someone on this forum and got a plug and play set so I didn't have to splice into the stock wiring. I did run into an issue where DRLs on 1 light would come on then go off when temps were under freezing when using remote start. Would start working again when truck was started. Alpharex sent me a new headlight and it's been working great since.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck has (stock) halogen projectors in the front, LEDs on the back tail lights/signals, and I am not sure if the front signal lights are LED or standard bulb. But from my understanding, the AlphaRex lights I am considering use LEDs all the way around, so that could be just changing the headlights portion, or everything to LED on the front.

Another thing as well is, I am not sure that my truck has the ability (without turning it on by way of dealer service call, or AlphaOBD type) for DRLs, so getting those to work might need some "adjustment". Does anyone happen to know if turning that on by way of AlphaOBD would keep them operating after that was removed? The truck is still under warranty and if I need to take it to the dealer for stuff, I would or at least should remove that stuff before they see it, and try to claim I voided the warranty.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure that's part of some people's issues. The computer expects to see a lower wattage load for the turn signals so when I changed out the factory projectors to Alpharex, there was a nominal (if any) change, so I had no codes. My Nova install was straightforward and without issue.

Have you done any other lighting upgrades? Like your rear signal lights, for example? And if so, what have you changed, and what has been your experience(s) so far?

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has (stock) halogen projectors in the front, LEDs on the back tail lights/signals, and I am not sure if the front signal lights are LED or standard bulb. But from my understanding, the AlphaRex lights I am considering use LEDs all the way around, so that could be just changing the headlights portion, or everything to LED on the front.

Another thing as well is, I am not sure that my truck has the ability (without turning it on by way of dealer service call, or AlphaOBD type) for DRLs, so getting those to work might need some "adjustment". Does anyone happen to know if turning that on by way of AlphaOBD would keep them operating after that was removed? The truck is still under warranty and if I need to take it to the dealer for stuff, I would or at least should remove that stuff before they see it, and try to claim I voided the warranty.
You don't have to have preset DRL to use Alpharex lights. They provide the wiring to tap into the f66 fuse if you want the DRL to come on any time the truck is turned on.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Have you done any other lighting upgrades? Like your rear signal lights, for example? And if so, what have you changed, and what has been your experience(s) so far?
Nothing else for lighting, my truck came stock with LED tails.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did some further research, and I strongly suspect my front turn signals (stock) are already LEDs.

I also donated some money to alpharex, and in appreciation of this, they are sending me a set of those Alpha Black 880541 headlights. Hopefully they are at least most of the things I want them for, looks being up there.

@rule18 I also have the LED tail lights stock. I wanted to get a set from alpharex that look cool, except for 1 small detail. The ones I really want to get are for the DT, not my DS Warlock. Those have the amber/orange tail light turn signals that I still don't know why so many of the vehicle manufacturers got away from for so long here in the US. My runner up set has one small detail that I don't like at all. The angle pieces in it are white, instead of appearing totally blacked out like the ones on the DT set.