Alpharex luxx 2500 5th gen review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm contemplating ordering a set of these 2500 5th gen style lights, have watched reviews on YouTube and haven't found much pertaining to these exact lights. I'm currently running knock off OEM projectors, and they're ok, the projector isn't the greatest so the spread isn't the widest. I know there may be issues with the parking light errors and I know I'll probably have to work through them. I'm looking to see if anyone has any output shots of these lights against a wall, both highs and lows. Not really interested in the pro version, but they may give me an idea of what the highs will look like. Screenshot_20230203-063931.png

So I ordered these and will be turning this thread into a review thread for part number 880520.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I ordered them and they should be here today. I'm waiting on a set of turn signal sockets since I no longer have my OEM headlights. Will update the post with a review, pics and comparison shots between my current housings and the new ones.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wish these lights all came with replaceable hid/led projectors in which they could be pulled from the back cover. Id hate for them to start going after 2 years and no warranty left. My $150 9005 leds are starting to go.
I keep looking at these, morimotos and anzo's.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Mine are the pro version, a non-replaceable led is a no-go for me.

55w hid lows
Fahren highs

Low only
C0065775-F12A-458F-9343-A62FE7363BB6.jpeg

Low
E6F1F635-494F-4619-81E6-530049A3C656.jpeg

Low/fog
D3D3C7B2-6EDF-40E6-BE7A-7DC2B3EDCBCA.jpeg

Low/fog/high
A94D4E91-B767-4AE7-9671-D19E8F13428B.jpeg

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
dash cam video from last night.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Came in today, got them installed in under 30 minutes. Wiring is a little tight for the turn signal socket adapter, so had a bit of a struggle to get them to lock in. So far, they appear very bright, had one parking light error but even after multiple attempts to recreate it, it hasn't occured again.
As for the pro versions, had a set of the pro housings (dual projector) and did not care for them at all, sold them off. No matter what bulb or hid kit I used, I couldn't get satisfactory results. Full LED projectors have been around for a while and I don't see a ton of people posting up led projector failures from alpharex housings. I'll update with some pictures when it gets dark.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some updates, first night driving had a low beam out warning when using high beams. All bulbs were still illuminated. Upon start up, I get a parking light out errors, but only on start up. It doesn't come on any other time. Output wise, these are pretty good for the money. The cut off is pretty sharp, though it does tend to wash out in the distance, but it still has a solid cutoff line. They are very bright, brighter than my old knock off projector with 50w hid. Good width, good distance. Now that they are aimed pretty decent, the high beam is good. Here are a few pictures of their output on a wall and on the street.
Lows on the street
PXL_20230214_033054119.jpg
Highs on the street
PXL_20230214_033058071.jpg
Lows only (no fogs)
PXL_20230214_035249584.jpg
Highs only
PXL_20230214_035254735.jpg

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are the cutoff lines nice and straight, no. You're definitely seeing a flare in the cutoff that kicks off high to the passenger side. And kind of tapers down on the driver side. Not exactly the worst thing in the world, but could be annoying if you're OCD and want them to be as straight as possible. The high beam shot seems a bit washed out exposure-wise, it's definitely brighter than what the image is showing. It should be the same as low beam, perhaps a bit brighter since I don't believe these illuminate any other led chips when the highs are engaged.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Few more night drives on these, I started getting some bulb out lights, parking lights and left low beam when I hit the high beams. I'm making changes via alfaobd to try and eliminate most if not all the fault codes. My truck originally was equipped with the quad housings and changed it to have the drl enabled, and enabled via the radio. I also set the drl to the turn signals. Plus, all bulbs have been set to LED and hid enabled. The headlamps were also set to quad enabled (from the factory) and I also enabled bi-xenon headlamps. I disabled both settings since this housing only has one "bulb" per side, so that when I trigger the high beams, it's not looking for any activity from the lows. I've also reverted all the DRL settings back to OEM to try and work on the parking lamp out issues. So far, from a quick drive, lows and highs seem to be sorted out. Parking lamps are still TBD.
Output wise, still happy with these. Only thing is, I wish the highs were a bit brighter. I may augment the highs with a set of auxiliary pods behind the grille to give me more distance.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick update. The lights have been working fantastic, my only issue has been the parking light out warning whenever the headlights (low beams were clicked on/activated the first time or when the truck first started up. Wasn't a big deal since it only chimed once, and never during the use of the turn signals or brake lamps. They've been wired up using the alpharex DRL module and harness that came with them. The other day I ordered the drl wires from @Mpgrimm2 to use the OEM dedicated drl wiring. I had to add these wires and pins to the OEM connector under the fuse box, then run the leads to the housings. The wires were spot on on and labeled, made adding them super easy. Once this was done, I went into alfaobd and changed the drl settings so that they were set to dedicated, led, enabled the left and right dedicated drl, the customer menu, etc. I figured by removing the alpharex harness, I'd lose the startup sequence of the lights, but seems it still functions, at least it does when you remote start at night. I've cleared all the codes that were stored in the BCM and let it rest and reset. Took a few driving cycles for the 8.4 to update and show the setting for the drl. But, on my way to work this evening, everything was updated and it appears the parking light error has gone away. I'm not celebrating 100% yet, but if it truly has disappeared after this modification, I'll be extremely happy. So, this might be an option for those of you running alpharex lights who are plagued with the parking light out errors, and haven't been able to get rid of them. The dedicated drl wires plug right into the bullet connectors on the alpharex housings with drls. Instead of using their harness that draws off the battery, you enable the dedicated drl option via alfaobd.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Confirmed after checking and verifying a few times, no more parking light out errors. Might be just the ticket for anyone with alpharex lights and parking light errors.