Alpharex NOVA headlights installed and review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Way too many issues with the alpharex headlights that I am seeing all around the internet lol ...

Where? I can count on one hand the unresolved complaints I have read about Alpharex headlights in Dodge Rams. I have read dozens of complaints about Morimoto. The Alpharex complaints I have seen were strictly issues related to lamp out messages. The Morimoto complaints were all about actual damage to the housings from melting and broken adjustment hardware.

I’m curius is to read about all the complaints you saw. What site was it?

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF, on our 2018 and 2019 Classic, the bulb out error is a one time thing and does not appear every time the directionals are use, I can live with that.

Just to reiterate, I never had any turn signal errors (lamp out or hyper flash) on my 18’. Ever. The issue was for the parking lamps only and it’s resolved.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Where? I can count on one hand the unresolved complaints I have read about Alpharex headlights in Dodge Rams. I have read dozens of complaints about Morimoto. The Alpharex complaints I have seen were strictly issues related to lamp out messages. The Morimoto complaints were all about actual damage to the housings from melting and broken adjustment hardware.

I will have to find the posts ... but reading that you had the issues fixed is a huge plus .... their office is just down the street from here... might have to get in touch with them again....

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

I just posted on another thread from last year ... the other posts are in the other forum i believe

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The DRL’s have a control box that connects to the + battery terminal, the. - terminal (or chassis) and a single wire to fuse box to a circuit that is energized with the ignition. They recommend and I used F66. Just used a fuse tap. Then from the box it comes with a harness that plugs into each headlight. Takes about 15 minutes to do.

Yes, I saw how it connects. The question is it necessary to do this if you run in auto mode? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes, I saw how it connects. The question is it necessary to do this if you run in auto mode?
Using the DRL "module" that comes with the headlights will turn the DRL lights on any time the truck is started/turned on, irregardless of the headlight switch position.
If you want the DRLs to turn themselves on/off when in gear then you need to wire them individually to the truck. Trucks with factory projectors have the DRL circuits, trucks with Quads they'll need to be added.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I will have to find the posts ... but reading that you had the issues fixed is a huge plus .... their office is just down the street from here... might have to get in touch with them again....

The issue isn't strictly alpharex related. It's our trucks and led's. Some have no problems and need no resistors or programming and others do. 09-12 are more forgiving then 13+. I ran canbus compatible switchbacks in my quads and without alfaobd would get turn/park errors. Ran unmodified alpharex projectors with zero issues after programming. Completely Retrofitted them and every once and a while get a turn out and hyper flash. It goes away after 5-10 seconds. But the switchback strips aren't canbus compatible. That's the issue a lot of people are having with the g2's. The switchbacks used aren't canbus compatible and even with programming or resistors sometimes will still get errors. It's our trucks being picky. Granted they could install canbus compatible led's but the cost of the headlights would increase.

Alpharex and other brand headlight/led manufacturer's can list them as plug and play because technically they are, just not for every year. These companies aren't going to test them on every year truck, that's how they keep the cost down.

2015 seems to be the worst year for led compatibility. FCA did something different that year.

My 2010 I ran a bunch of cheap ebay/Amazon led's with zero issues. No adapters. Couldn't keep morimoto hid's for more then a week without a problem. My 2015 ran ddm tuning 35w hid's and canbus adapters with no issues. Used retroshops v2 projector adapters and tyc projectors with no problems. My 2018 with the help of alfaobd, other than the switchbacks I used in my retrofitted alpharex projectors, have had zero issues with 4 different led brand's in low's/highs and 35w/55w Innovited hid's and 55w Morimoto hid's that I'm currently running. I've had them in for 4-5 month's now.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using the DRL "module" that comes with the headlights will turn the DRL lights on any time the truck is started/turned on, irregardless of the headlight switch position.
If you want the DRLs to turn themselves on/off when in gear then you need to wire them individually to the truck. Trucks with factory projectors have the DRL circuits, trucks with Quads they'll need to be added.

Yes It’s a single wire that acts as the relay trigger for the DRL module. You can connect it to anything you choose. If you have factory DRL’s then you can tap the source.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They are super great on the phone. I have a question about how to aim them so I called customer service and left a message. A tech called me on his cell phone that morning on a Saturday and answered all my questions. He even sent me the step by step AlfaOBD settings to change for the parking lights.

The fact their office is down the street is amazing. You should definitely go with them if you can just drive on over if you have an issue

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are super great on the phone. I have a question about how to aim them so I called customer service and left a message. A tech called me on his cell phone that morning on a Saturday and answered all my questions. He even sent me the step by step AlfaOBD settings to change for the parking lights.

The fact their office is down the street is amazing. You should definitely go with them if you can just drive on over if you have an issue
AE5548, would you post their step-by-step AlfaOBD settings?

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
These the two settings they said to change. I have since switched my turn signals back to LED no and I get no lamp out messages.

View attachment 214246

Can you post step by step on what you did.. I’m going to try it.. I’m getting front park lights out message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can you post step by step on what you did.. I’m going to try it.. I’m getting front park lights out message.

Here's a video: It's for changing the front marker lights to LED bulbs so ignore that part, he walks through the steps on changing the settings with AlfaOBD

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks good with the blue streak!

Thanks! Spent the last few weeks enjoying all the tings i never could see driving at night till this upgrade.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2258883f22d884307980501761f0c74a.jpg
What am I missing? Still getting still getting park light out?

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What am I missing? Still getting still getting park light out?

1) A android device to run AlphaOBD on
2) A copy of AlphaOBD
3) Installing your OBD security bypass cable for the OBD port on your 2018+ Ram ?

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1) A android device to run AlphaOBD on
2) A copy of AlphaOBD
3) Installing your OBD security bypass cable for the OBD port on your 2018+ Ram ?

I did all that and still didn’t work.. park light out still appears.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
9a07fe19c6691de4bec4b244276ce058.jpg
I have a 2018 big horn. Is my 2018 powernet the best one to use?