Alpharex NOVA headlights installed and review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dwight,

Did you go into alpha, and pair your device with the OBDLink MX ?
Is your key in the RUN position when using Alpha? The truck should be in run position but not actually running. If you have push button start, then I don't know how you get it to the run position while the engine is not running. But those with keyless either already know or can comment.
In Alpha you select RAM, then the Body Computer (BCM) then select the correct year (or the closest year if your year is not listed) and Connect to the BCM. Along the bottom of the screen you see some icons, key etc. Select the icon with the hood up and you will get a list of procedures to perform, Go to the bottom of the list of procedures to do, second from the bottom is change car config. Once in there scroll way down the new drop down list of items (2/3rds or so down all the options) where you will find all the LED settings for the various different lights, find the setting for the Front Stop Lamps LED and select it, then under that procedure there is a drop down for enabled/disabled, set it to enabled and then push the start button. The first time you push the start button, it will actually ask the BCM what the current setting is and display it to you near the top of the screen, the second time you hit start it will change the setting to what you choose... enabled in this case. If you hit it for a third time, it will query the setting and show the current setting (at the top of the screen) this let's you validate that it is set.

Once done, just back out of the app and you should be ready to go. This setting on my 2015 is immediate and no need to reboot, at least on my 2015. To do a quick boot your have the key in the run position, then turn it off for ten seconds then turn it back to run. If a quick boot does not work, then a full reboot is required and the easiest way is to remove both battery terminals and zip tie battery connectors together (not touching the battery posts!!) and leave it for twenty minutes. This let's everything electrical "drain", then hook the terminals back up to the battery (positive first when connecting both and negative first when disconnecting both battery terminals) This 20 minute full reboot I've found has only been necessary when changing settings that affect things that show up in the radio. The radio itself needs to be disconnected from power for twenty minutes before it will fully reboot and pick up new BCM settings.

Test using your headlights on (force headlights on and not auto headlights) then hit the left and right turn signal. You should get a parking light out message once for a left and once for a right turn, and then if all worked well... and your ram acts like mine it will not happen any more. When you get used to Alpha, you do things like check and/or clear faults in the vaarious modules. Or use the list of procedures to test your lights. It's nice for me to check my lights front and back, without trying to get one of my kids to sit in the truck and not run me over, you can use the procedures to try stuff when you are working on your truck all alone. You can see stats and all sorts of things. It's the most comprehensive OBD scanner I've had, and I've had several pricier ones before.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dwight,

Is your key in the RUN position when using Alpha? The truck should be in run position but not actually running. If you have push button start, then I don't know how you get it to the run position while the engine is not running. But those with keyless either already know or can comment.
In Alpha you select RAM, then the Body Computer (BCM) then select the correct year (or the closest year if your year is not listed) and Connect to the BCM. Along the bottom of the screen you see some icons, key etc. Select the icon with the hood up and you will get a list of procedures to perform, Go to the bottom of the list of procedures to do, second from the bottom is change car config. Once in there scroll way down the new drop down list of items (2/3rds or so down all the options) where you will find all the LED settings for the various different lights, find the setting for the Front Stop Lamps LED and select it, then under that procedure there is a drop down for enabled/disabled, set it to enabled and then push the start button. The first time you push the start button, it will actually ask the BCM what the current setting is and display it to you near the top of the screen, the second time you hit start it will change the setting to what you choose... enabled in this case. If you hit it for a third time, it will query the setting and show the current setting (at the top of the screen) this let's you validate that it is set.

Once done, just back out of the app and you should be ready to go. This setting on my 2015 is immediate and no need to reboot, at least on my 2015. To do a quick boot your have the key in the run position, then turn it off for ten seconds then turn it back to run. If a quick boot does not work, then a full reboot is required and the easiest way is to remove both battery terminals and zip tie battery connectors together (not touching the battery posts!!) and leave it for twenty minutes. This let's everything electrical "drain", then hook the terminals back up to the battery (positive first when connecting both and negative first when disconnecting both battery terminals) This 20 minute full reboot I've found has only been necessary when changing settings that affect things that show up in the radio. The radio itself needs to be disconnected from power for twenty minutes before it will fully reboot and pick up new BCM settings.

Test using your headlights on (force headlights on and not auto headlights) then hit the left and right turn signal. You should get a parking light out message once for a left and once for a right turn, and then if all worked well... and your ram acts like mine it will not happen any more. When you get used to Alpha, you do things like check and/or clear faults in the vaarious modules. Or use the list of procedures to test your lights. It's nice for me to check my lights front and back, without trying to get one of my kids to sit in the truck and not run me over, you can use the procedures to try stuff when you are working on your truck all alone. You can see stats and all sorts of things. It's the most comprehensive OBD scanner I've had, and I've had several pricier ones before.

I really appreciate this.. I’m going to try it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A word of caution for those of you new to AlphaOBD.

1) Look at post 1 of the AplhaOBD thread in the DIY forum, and backup your body computer config. Make sure you go to the oscilloscope icon and get the Status before you backup, then backup the config and check the file on Google Drive and ensure it exists and has the settings in it.
2) Do NOT change settings you are not 100% sure of. The backup mechanism keeps track of what settings you change and what you changed them to. Which makes it easy to figure out if you changed the wrong thing, and makes it easy if your truck gets reflashed at the dealer to put your changes back to what you want them to be later.
I've made 50 or so upgrades to my truck and have likely changed more settings than most people, and I live by those 2 rules. Do your homework on the forum before you make setting changes.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I finally grew tired of the terrible visibility the factory headlights offered so it was time to upgrade. I looked into HID or LED bulbs in the stock housings (I had Quad headlights, not projectors). Using the cheap Ebay stuff was out of the question for reliability reasons. And using good quality stuff would cost $400-$500 and still potentially blind other motorists which i wasn't happy about. So then i looked into buying projector housings as well as HID's and LED's and now i was pushing $1,000 to do it with good quality stuff plus turn signal upgrades. So at that point i started looking at dedicated replacements. I went right to Morimoto since they are so highly regarded but the amount of complaints about their XB Ram replacements was immediately troubling. Lots of melted housings, broken alignment linkages, "they're not very bright" complaints and customer service complaints. Then i saw side by side comparisons of them next to the Alpharex Nova units including drone footage on one YouTube review and i was sold with these. It's not like "these are a little brighter" then the Morimotos. They are easily twice as bright. And they were cheaper too. I paid $1,085 shipped. I couldn't even find Morimotos for less than $1,300.

The install was simple. No wires to cut. The stock headlight plug connects to the wire harness on the new headlights. The turn signal bulb socket is installed into the new housing the same way as stock but you snap a wire connector into the socket. The fit into the socket was snug, so i chose to file down the turn signal bulb connector on the new lights to make it easier. Took about 5 minutes.

The only "wiring" you need to do is the DRL kit. But it's simple. It comes with a harness that plugs into each new headlight housing and then into a control box. You then have three wires to hook up. + on the battery, - on the battery (or chassis) and single wire you connect to a source that comes on with the ignition. I used fuse F66 with a fuse tap.

That's it. I got no error codes for the headlights. But i am getting a "Front parking lamp out" message at startup. Despite changing the Parking lights and Front turn signals to LED on the AlfaOBD app the message continues. Not sure why but ill deal with that soon.

The headlights are SUPER bright. So are the DRL's. In fact the DRL's light up my entire driveway. The DRL's are top and bottom and the bottom switches to yellow sequential turn signals. And when you start the truck, the sequential "dance" is pretty cool.

They fit great, looks great and were simple to install. My only complaints were the DRL connections should have been weatherpak style, not bullet connectors. And the install video on their website should go into detail on aiming them. You use a #2 Phillips but that's not obvious by looking at them.

Pics to follow. Definitely check out JW Montoya's drone footage of them.

Have you figured out the part light error code yet?

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an 18’ Ram and have never had any hyper flash issues with the turn signals or lamp out message with the turn signals. None. Even before I changed my turn signals to “LED Yes”. In fact, I have since switched my turn signals back to “LED No” and I still have no issues with the turn signals.

The only issue I ever had was at start up I would get a “Front marker lamp out” message. And then it would go away. Even if I turned my parking lights on and off the message would not return. It was ONLY at startup. I have since cleared the message using AlfaOBD and it has not come back.

Can you provide a step by step on how you resolved that? I have a 18 ram also and I’m getting the park light out error.. I have the Alpaobd. Nothing else has worked?

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to reiterate, I never had any turn signal errors (lamp out or hyper flash) on my 18’. Ever. The issue was for the parking lamps only and it’s resolved.

How? Need some guidance? I have a 18 also. Have park light out message

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1) A android device to run AlphaOBD on
2) A copy of AlphaOBD
3) Installing your OBD security bypass cable for the OBD port on your 2018+ Ram ?

I did all that and still the park light out error .

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dwight,

I checked to and I’m not seeing a front stop lamp.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dwight, see post #72 in this thread, the proper name is "LED Front Park/Marker Lamps Present". If yes/No choose Yes. Do NOT do "LED Front Turn Lamps Present"

I did that and it didn’t work.. stilling getting the park light out code

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your getting the "code"... do you get a message on the Cluster "Parking Light Out" each time you use the turn signal? or do you just get the code as a fault code in the BCM?

If you get the message on the cluster each time you use the turn signal, then I'm sorry I don't have an answer. When I set the LED Front Marker lamps to Yes, I get a code in the BCM and that code stays in the BCM, but I only get the Parking Light Out on the cluster once the first time I use the left turn signal and the first time I use the right turn signal, 2nd and subsequent uses don't display on my cluster (EVIC) but the code does remain in the BCM fault code list.

Did you truck come with LED headlights or the Quad headlights? Mine came with the Quads originally.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Your getting the "code"... do you get a message on the Cluster "Parking Light Out" each time you use the turn signal? or do you just get the code as a fault code in the BCM?

If you get the message on the cluster each time you use the turn signal, then I'm sorry I don't have an answer. When I set the LED Front Marker lamps to Yes, I get a code in the BCM and that code stays in the BCM, but I only get the Parking Light Out on the cluster once the first time I use the left turn signal and the first time I use the right turn signal, 2nd and subsequent uses don't display on my cluster (EVIC) but the code does remain in the BCM fault code list.

Did you truck come with LED headlights or the Quad headlights? Mine came with the Quads originally.

Ok.. mines came with quads and the message only shows when I turn the head lights on or on some rare occasions when i start the truck up.. it doesn’t show again but the message is stored in the BCM..

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok.. mines came with quads and the message only shows when I turn the head lights on or on some rare occasions when i start the truck up.. it doesn’t show again but the message is stored in the BCM..

It’s stored on the cluster in messages.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dwight, mine also has the codes in the BCM, but I've been driving several times since I did the change myself, and I've not had the message on the EVIC since the first occurance. If I clear the BCM codes then yes the message comes back once for a left and once for a right, the codes are set in the BCM but I get no further messages on the EVIC. So for me, I can live with that, 'cause I love the lights.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dwight, mine also has the codes in the BCM, but I've been driving several times since I did the change myself, and I've not had the message on the EVIC since the first occurance. If I clear the BCM codes then yes the message comes back once for a left and once for a right, the codes are set in the BCM but I get no further messages on the EVIC. So for me, I can live with that, 'cause I love the lights.

Ok.. man I appreciate you.. you’ve been so helpful.. thank a lot.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ah I see... must be a 2018 thing. The message is not coming up as a "stored message" when I turn my truck on.

Yes.. that’s the only time it’s shows up or if I turn my head lamps on.. the it comes up park light out and then disappears and is stored in the messages..

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@AE5548 when installing the fuse tap to f66 did you just put 2, 10 amp fuses in the tap?