Alpine audio speaker upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I know I know, but Rockville makes a 8 channel amp. Yes Rockville is not top brand, but reviews have been positive and comes with 1 year warranty. Can be configured for 8,6,4 channel and is $149, plus it is cea rated at 65 watt x 8 at 4 ohm, 95 watt at 2 ohm and can be bridged to run sub or just 4 channels at 190 watts @ 4 ohm. Also can do 6.1 or 4.2. Seen a bunch of dyno tests on YouTube and these amps do rated power and are small enough for under seat. For someone on a budget would be good to run dash, front doors, rear doors, ceiling, off the amp or just dash, doors and a small sub. Also is marine quality and water resistant.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wanted to go 8 channel, but most of the dsp's are 8 channel and it's a big jump to go 9. Still might go 11 if I'm not happy. Nice thing about the 8 channel is I have 2 ohm rear speakers so 100X2 is lots. Probably only 60X2 to the tweeters since they're 6ohm, but that should be tons of power with them in the dash and I bridged the other 4 channels to 200X2for the front door midbass drivers where I can use it. That rockville might be a good option to do what I've done on a budget.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d only consider Rockville if my budgeting made instant ramen the equivalent of lobster.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man.... this thread took off. There is way more information than I know what to do with. :33:

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what's the difference between wattage on the Infinity's and the JBL's? I mean, what does that get me? Listing says Infinity's are 75 watts and the JBL are 150... does that mean the JBL can handle more power, are they louder, what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The wattage on them is power handling. The efficiency is how much volume you'll get out of them. Higher efficiency is generally louder. A speaker with the same efficiency, but higher power handling should be just as loud at the same power, but be able to get louder with more power.

Slevin

Reaction score
Reviving this thread. I have the Alpine 9 speaker system in my 2018 and want to replace all the speakers. So far I have replaced all three dash speakers with Infinity Reference 3032cfx 3.5". So far, sounds good.

My next step is to replace the rear doors with infinity reference 9633ix 6x9 3-ways since they get the full-range signal.

My question is, would it be okay to use the Infinity Reference 3032 2-ways in the front doors since it only receives mid-range frequencies? I don't know much about JBL, do they have better bass quality in a 6x9?

PS: what a pain in the ass the center dash speaker was. I had the hardest time reconnecting the light sensor.

PPS: does anyone know where to get a replacement Alpine badge on the center dash speaker? Or some kind of badge to replace it? Mine was off-center from the factory and I ripped it off. That was a sad choice.

IMG_20190913_220611.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is, would it be okay to use the Infinity Reference 3032 2-ways in the front doors since it only receives mid-range frequencies? I don't know much about JBL, do they have better bass quality in a 6x9?
I personally wouldn’t mess with the front door “subs”. I know they’re not subs but, they are just primarily bass. Unless you can match them with something better, you’re probably just gonna get decreased results if you change them and, if you’re looking to increase bass, look at upgrading your rear under-seat sub.

I don’t know if you want that much bass, but I just left front door speakers alone and replaced my rear sub with a much, MUCH better replacement from JL Audio.

Which by the way to the rest of the thread- sounds awesome still today!!

PS: what a pain in the ass the center dash speaker was. I had the hardest time reconnecting the light sensor.

PPS: does anyone know where to get a replacement Alpine badge on the center dash speaker? Or some kind of badge to replace it? Mine was off-center from the factory and I ripped it off. That was a sad choice.

View attachment 180070

That one did suck the most but all three dash speakers sucked. lol.

But how exactly does that Alpine badge stick to the speaker grille? Mine’s actually a little bit crooked as well but I’ve just never messed with it yet. I figured it was just stuck on there with double-sided tape and even if it’s not, use a strip of that grey, red tape-backed 3M **** they sell at parts stores- as far as double-sided tape goes, it don’t get no better than that stuff. That’s the **** they use on those stick-on window visors, and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slevin

Reaction score
But how exactly does that Alpine badge stick to the speaker grille? Mine’s actually a little bit crooked as well but I’ve just never messed with it yet. I figured it was just stuck on there with double-sided tape and even if it’s not, use a strip of that grey, red tape-backed 3M **** they sell at parts stores- as far as double-sided tape goes, it don’t get no better than that stuff. That’s the **** they use on those stick-on window visors, and such.
The badge is glued to a black plastic piece with three "pegs" that snap into the trim piece. It would be very difficult to peel off the badge without bending it. I should have just lived with it being off-center.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The badge is glued to a black plastic piece with three "pegs" that snap into the trim piece. It would be very difficult to peel off the badge without bending it. I should have just lived with it being off-center.

Do you have a dremel tool, or something to remove the pegs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slevin

Reaction score
I just used a utility knife. But I did this all with the trim piece removed from the truck.

Slevin

Reaction score
So you were able to restick it?
Oh no no not at all. I thought it was just like any other badge; light adhesive backing able to be warmed up and peeled. It stuck to the black plastic piece so well that I started destroying that. So I ripped that out too.

Now I have 3 small holes where my Alpine badge used to be (from the pegs holding the black plastic piece to the trim). I figure I'll find something to stick there and cover it up eventually.