Alpine system - Headliner speaker replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody replace the speakers in the headliner yet? I'm getting ready to swap out the dash speakers and figured I would do the headliner speakers also. According to Crutchfield, the headliner has to come out to get to them. I went outside and tried to pry the covers off and could not get them to pop out. I was afraid to apply too much pressure. Anybody?

Planning on using JBL GX302s as they are 2.3 ohm speakers, about as close to the stock 2 ohm as you can get.

Geoman15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced mine. The covers will come off but are super hard to get off.
I used the plastic trim removal tool from harbor freight and pulled them off.
Got one out and used brute strength to pop the others out. Seemed the left one's came out easier and the pulled the rights out.
One of the clips came off the cover and had to put it back on the cover, but no biggie.
Rear fill was much better with the new speakers.

Good luck with yours.
George

OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced mine. The covers will come off but are super hard to get off.
I used the plastic trim removal tool from harbor freight and pulled them off.
Got one out and used brute strength to pop the others out. Seemed the left one's came out easier and the pulled the rights out.
One of the clips came off the cover and had to put it back on the cover, but no biggie.
Rear fill was much better with the new speakers.

Good luck with yours.
George

Glad to hear they do indeed come off after Crutchfield saying they won't. I'll get the trim tool this weekend. I was just using my fingers more than anything. Didn't want to take a flathead to it and tear it up. I guess I will call Crutchfield back today and order the set for the rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Geoman15 Time to replace the headliner speakers. Got the grills off, they are on tight! Did you have trouble mounting your replacements? It seems like anything other than the factory will not fit very well. The plastic housing that holds them will not let me rotate the speaker to get to the screwholes. Did you have to fab something up or did you just make new holes?

Geoman15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new speakers fit and screw holes lined up easily.
My tweeters protruded a little too much so the covers aren’t 100 percent flush, but’s close enough for government work.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I am a JBL guy going all the way back to my 1976 L100 studio monitors in the house and all JBL 7.1 surround system for our main tv area but am curious if you guys found any other rear headliner speakers besides the JBL GX-302 that will work. they are pretty cheap. are they the best replacement option. also, what has been found for the front doors?

OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a JBL guy going all the way back to my 1976 L100 studio monitors in the house and all JBL 7.1 surround system for our main tv area but am curious if you guys found any other rear headliner speakers besides the JBL GX-302 that will work. they are pretty cheap. are they the best replacement option. also, what has been found for the front doors?

Other speakers will work. The JBLs are not a direct drop in for the headliner, but I can rig up something to make them work. For a direct drop in, you need something where the speaker mounts are to the side, with the terminal connections dead in the center between them, instead of closer to one side or the other. I believe @Geoman15 used a different speaker than I did or he would have ran into the same issues.

For the front doors, they are bass only in the Alpine system so 2-ways and 3-ways are overkill as the tweeter will not get anything. That being said, I will still be dropping the GX963s in the front when I get the chance, just because that is what I put in the rear and I got a good price on them. They are also 2.3 ohm while the stock Alpines are 2 ohm, so nearly a perfect match. CDT has some 2 ohm 6x9s that would probably be much better, but I am not looking to splurge at the moment, just wanting to clean things up a little. The JBLs will accomplish that just fine.

Geoman15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Other speakers will work. The JBLs are not a direct drop in for the headliner, but I can rig up something to make them work. For a direct drop in, you need something where the speaker mounts are to the side, with the terminal connections dead in the center between them, instead of closer to one side or the other. I believe @Geoman15 used a different speaker than I did or he would have ran into the same issues.

For the front doors, they are bass only in the Alpine system so 2-ways and 3-ways are overkill as the tweeter will not get anything. That being said, I will still be dropping the GX963s in the front when I get the chance, just because that is what I put in the rear and I got a good price on them. They are also 2.3 ohm while the stock Alpines are 2 ohm, so nearly a perfect match. CDT has some 2 ohm 6x9s that would probably be much better, but I am not looking to splurge at the moment, just wanting to clean things up a little. The JBLs will accomplish that just fine.

These are the speakers I use. They mounted up perfectly. Only issue was the covers for back a little proud.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_69258_NVX-NSP35.html

George

chrisboy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing this too. Did you find a speaker harness that fits? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks
Chris

OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Buy them from Crutchfield and the proper harness is included. Fitment was the bigger issue. I had to turn them a bit and drill new screwholes and all is good.

Eric-H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L diesel
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone tried enlarginging hole and putting larger speakers up there?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I thought the premium system was Hk, Is the Alpine system the 9speaker system with subwoofer?
Thanks

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have the Alpine 9 spkr setup and am wondering which Alpine spkrs they use so as to compare possible upgrades. The NVX spkrs mentioned above are really low price..are they really very good..just looking at as many options as I can before starting this project.

toejam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I used Hertz Energy ET 26.5 tweets in the headliner and custom a-pillar pods, but I have a total custom setup.