Alternative to lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thought I’d post this here and see if I get any opinions from the Rebel guys:
I have a 2016 Rebel with air suspension. I’ve been wanting to lift with the BDS 4” kit. I live in IL (SW Chicago area suburbs). Quotes for kit and install from a few shops have come back at 3600-4200 based on the shop (that’s lift kit with the Fox rear shocks, install, alignment)
My truck is my daily driver. Don’t tow frequently at this point. My off roading is hunting land and some light wooded areas around deer hunting area. Otherwise wood and house projects are my uses.

What I’ve been considering more and more is front Level links to get about an 1” to 1.5” lift/level, then 3” body lift by performance accessories. That combo would net me 4 to 4.5 of increased height. Then with 35s closer to 5 or 5.5” of height increase over stock. I know I would loose tow hooks up front. And while this wouldn’t give me more suspension travel or much more ground clearance (about 3” less than actual lift kit) it may fit my needs and with a Price of those 400-500 all in the savings are significant....

Thoughts/Input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I’d post this here and see if I get any opinions from the Rebel guys:
I have a 2016 Rebel I’ve been wanting to lift with the BDS 4” kit. I live in IL (SW Chicago area suburbs). Quotes for kit and install from a few shops have come back at 3600-4200 based on the shop (that’s lift kit with the Fox rear shocks, install, alignment)
My truck is my daily driver. Don’t tow frequently at this point. My off roading is hunting land and some light wooded areas around deer hunting area. Otherwise wood and house projects are my uses.

What I’ve been considering more and more is front Level links to get about an 1” to 1.5” lift/level, then 3” body lift by performance accessories. That combo would net me 4 to 4.5 of increased height. Then with 35s closer to 5 or 5.5” of height increase over stock. I know I would loose tow hooks up front. And while this wouldn’t give me more suspension travel or much more ground clearance (about 3” less than actual lift kit) it may fit my needs and with a Price of those 400-500 all in the savings are significant....

Thoughts/Input?

@bfill - I have very close to the same questions regarding the lift (6' version though) as well as leveling, but mine is a Sport. So, I'll be watching this thread for input as I've see quite a of chatter about body lift option as well. I prefer the suspension option, but am also open for suggestions. Thank you for starting this thread.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Bilstein

Get the adjustable shocks. You wont get a big lift out of it but if I remember right you can get around 2” max i think

IMO a body lift looks goofy. But everyone is different

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstein

Get the adjustable shocks. You wont get a big lift out of it but if I remember right you can get around 2” max i think

IMO a body lift looks goofy. But everyone is different

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have air suspension. So my options are very limited.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Body lifts don’t look goofy on rams since they’re frames are already tucked up in unlike chevys. If you get all the bumper relocating brackets which I think they all come with now they look just fine. I already have the leveling links and the value of a body lift I wouldn’t be afraid to do it.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Body lifts don’t look goofy on rams since they’re frames are already tucked up in unlike chevys. If you get all the bumper relocating brackets which I think they all come with now they look just fine. I already have the leveling links and the value of a body lift I wouldn’t be afraid to do it.

Thanks for the insight.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Higher means a higher center of gravity more body roll and poorer off road handling and reduced reliability with the drivetrain. Poor fuel economy as well so expect it and don't whine when it happens.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Either lift kit method is going to raise my center of gravity. I’m not against lift kits (have had em in the past) just on the Rebel and for my uses it’s hard to justify to myself the cost based on quotes I’ve received. Most people I’ve asked privately on this and other forums say unlike lifts on other trucks the Rebel lift is likely best installed by professionals/authorized dealers.

With links and a body kit I also will not have very minimal to no changes/altered steering and suspension geometry.

As for gas mileage and such... I’m not naive to think I can put heavier tires on a not have more wear and tear. All things I’m aware of and will go accept. Won’t be any whining here

Simply wanting to gather information to make an informed decision. Also to see if I can anything more above the “body kits suck, just lift it” or “don’t get a body lift, you loose your tow hooks”.

Adam Golden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Revel Performance makes an air suspension link level/lift kit. They say you can adjust it to gain an extra 2.5”. Couple that with some new shocks and and possibly bigger tires (I don’t know if that would be enough to fit 35’s or not) I’d say that could be a cheaper solution for a quick and easy lift. Plus, for your purposes it should be enough to get where you need to go

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Revel Performance makes an air suspension link level/lift kit. They say you can adjust it to gain an extra 2.5”. Couple that with some new shocks and and possibly bigger tires (I don’t know if that would be enough to fit 35’s or not) I’d say that could be a cheaper solution for a quick and easy lift. Plus, for your purposes it should be enough to get where you need to go

Yea the Revel kit on my Rebel if I adjusted to 2.5” I believe would max out my air suspension and make my truck drive like a cement truck.

Plenty of rebels seem to fit 35s with 1” level links or even stock based on wheel offset.

Def the way I’m leaning. Even if I don’t commit to the body lift right away. Def links and 35s to start.... time will tell.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
doesn’t rough country make a 2” level for like $30 for the air ride? Might be worth a look. And don’t have any concerns about a body lift. I have the zone 1.5” with bils at 2.8 and nothing changed with the ride. Can’t answer for gas mileage though, as it’s a truck not a car. With 35,s I range 11-13 mpg around town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
doesn’t rough country make a 2” level for like $30 for the air ride? Might be worth a look. And don’t have any concerns about a body lift. I have the zone 1.5” with bils at 2.8 and nothing changed with the ride. Can’t answer for gas mileage though, as it’s a truck not a car. With 35,s I range 11-13 mpg around town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for body lift input. I didn’t see anything for air suspension for my truck at rough country. I emailed them to make sure. Also asked about their 5” kit they have for the 5th gen to see if any plans to make it for 4th gen. It’s about 500-600 cheaper than bds.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My fault. Thought you had a 5th gen. I’ve been looking at them so much I guess I just assumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
most guys on the Facebook rebel pages are using links plus leveling pucks. Getting 2-2.5” and with the picks. It’s not maxing out the air bags. With that setup. You can run 35’s

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
most guys on the Facebook rebel pages are using links plus leveling pucks. Getting 2-2.5” and with the picks. It’s not maxing out the air bags. With that setup. You can run 35’s

Yea I’ve considered that. My only concern is I have the lifetime warranty (air suspension concerns being one of main reasons I got it). If I ever had an issue with the suspension I can just pop the links off. If I had the pucks plus links it would likely be a reason for them to deny work. Especially as you have to disconnect and reconnect the air line. That’s my only pause. But I do like that it keeps the idea and not maxing our the bags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado