Alternator Output Too High?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The alternator on my 06 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi gives a reading of 15 V at idle. What is the normal range of voltage output for an alternator? I also have an issue with battery drain, could the battery drain and the voltage output of the alternator be related? Thanks.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
What is the outside temp. With temperature compensated charging 15v isn't high at 20 degrees.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If the battery has a shorted plate internally, it will "drain" and will also cause the alternator output to be too high. Install a new battery and test the charging system. DO NOT test the system with the existing battery as your readings will not be correct.

OP
OP
C

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outside temps are low 40's during the day and above freezing at night. I did the testing late mornings and early afternoon. I'm working with my second new battery. All fuses and lightbulbs are good.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Check for a Bad Ground Also... (specifically ground points and Neg battery cable). Feel the cables (both) and see if U feel any really warm/hot spots. A bad cable cause that issue also.................U could also besides feeling cable run a probe and see if U get any readings on cable (12V tester)