Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just quickly read this subject

The only thing that you can almost trust is the fuel gauge

The miles Until Empty can not be trusted
for instance if it reads 30 miles until empty & you break over the top of a steep hill, the reading will change to 99.
If you are on flat ground & doing 80 miles per hour & then you bring your speed up to 90, the calculator that figures out the miles until empty, that reading will drop or raise with speed & rpm
IT is only guesstimated

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One other issue to consider is what's at the bottom of the fuel tank that eventually will get into the fuel injectors.............I never let my fuel get below 1/4. At that point my "go til empty" guage says about 200 miles. When I fill up I usually never get more than 24 gallons into my 33 gallon tank which gives me enough margin to not worry about sediment that may be lying at the bottom.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another reason I run mine low, the truck sits for months on end at times without running - so when I do use it (usually for longer runs) I fill up with fresh fuel and run that tank low to get rid of the older gas. Gas w/ethanol ( almost all that is available here) goes bad and attracts water in a fairly short period.
I am not positive, but the fuel in the tank right now might be from late summer.
Not unusual for me to have a tank of summer fuel in the spring and winter fuel at the start of summer.
Do yourself a favor. Pick up a small bottle of Stabil or Startron fuel stabilizer and dump it in your tank. Fuel will stay fresh, system will stay clean, and you don’t have to worry about running the tank near empty. Too much else in this world to worry about besides running out of gas.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Clearly you misunderstood my post, but no worries, not worth bantering about it. Besides, how long it takes to put gas in my truck is real low on my priority list of things to get worked up over.
I'd say we probably misunderstood each other. Or just have different views on life.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just quickly read this subject

The only thing that you can almost trust is the fuel gauge

The miles Until Empty can not be trusted
for instance if it reads 30 miles until empty & you break over the top of a steep hill, the reading will change to 99.
If you are on flat ground & doing 80 miles per hour & then you bring your speed up to 90, the calculator that figures out the miles until empty, that reading will drop or raise with speed & rpm
IT is only guesstimated
On the one hand, duh. All the computer can do is analyze what has already happened, and makes projections based on them not changing.

Unless you have a Tesla, and a route programmed into the GPS, there is no way to know what the future holds.

On the other hand, I have NEVER seen my DTE go from 30 to 99. Or anywhere near that. In fact, I never remember it going up at all, just stops going down for a while.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe i should have used different terminology
My MPG jumps from 26 MPG to 99 Mpg when i top a hill & start down the other side.
That affects the Miles Until Empty, just as surely as taking my foot off the pedal

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clearly you misunderstood my post, but no worries, not worth bantering about it. Besides, how long it takes to put gas in my truck is real low on my priority list of things to get worked up over.
JAWS2: NJ thang, roflmao (FYI, I am a shore kid), roflmao. Definitely, this topic not sumthing to get worked up over. There is so much more to be dis-satisfied about. My big thought is: Is there a cure for Cancer out there somewhere that has not been deployed due to the profits involved in treatment? Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
How much fuel has to be in the tank, to allow fuel to spill into the cup

1642994833938.png

There is a little strainer, about the size of a pencil eraser on the bottom of the cup
I see no other holes

ktischler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Eco-diesel
Get the GasBuddy app. Then you'll know where all the gas stations are and the gas prices at each. If you get their GasBuddy card (free) you can even get discounts on gas. I use ours to plan fuel stops at the cheapest stations as we drive cross country with our travel trailer I have the app set to show diesel prices as the default.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do yourself a favor. Pick up a small bottle of Stabil or Startron fuel stabilizer and dump it in your tank. Fuel will stay fresh, system will stay clean, and you don’t have to worry about running the tank near empty. Too much else in this world to worry about besides running out of gas.
Running it near empty doesn't hurt anything. Shortened fuel pump life is an urban myth.

It would take a full large bottle to treat 32 gallons of fuel and even then the shelf life isn't that long before the gas starts to lose octane and degrade. 2020 I think I only put 500 miles on the truck that year, 21 we only went on 1 vacation trip so may 3000-4000 miles last year.
Towing with a full tank of winter fuel in the hot summer might not be a good idea due to detonation.

When towing, I carry a spare 5 gallons anyways ( I use the can to fill the boat ) so I don't worry about running low then.

Other times, if it's too close I do a quick splash n go to get to the planned stop. Pre planning helps - whether it be for trips OR upcoming weather events, it's not like either sneak up on you.