Amazing truck with no problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Am I in a minority of owners since I have had no issues with my truck? I have owned my 2010 Ram 1500 ST with a 5.7 HEMI since it was brand new. It now has over 206,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear and tear I have only had to replace 2 brake calipers a left front wheel hub and an idler pully. Most of it was covered by my lifetime warranty. The first 180,000 miles were run on conventional oil. Oil gets changed when the truck says to change it.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
No, I don't think you're in the minority.
I think most people come on these forums to vent or find info on an issue they are having but it's only a small sampling of the Dodge/Ram owners over all...
I had a 2008 1500 Bighorn that needed a wheel bearing replaced at 75K but other than that I've had no real issues with any of mine...
Certainly not any tranny issues that (non Ram) people still seem to think Rams are plagued with.

Last edited:

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is great to hear! I hope I have this much luck. I've had to replace the exhaust manifolds So far. Also seem to have a problem with the electric power steering that may need replacement.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As @Fatbob Frank said, people tend to make bigger issues than what they are at face value. Or are impossible to make happy. There's definitely things I don't like about my truck. But as far as "issues" go, my 2016 with 108K miles has been great overall. My air ride isn't happy in the winter. But the only repairs my truck has had were wear items or upgrades.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I in a minority of owners since I have had no issues with my truck? I have owned my 2010 Ram 1500 ST with a 5.7 HEMI since it was brand new. It now has over 206,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear and tear I have only had to replace 2 brake calipers a left front wheel hub and an idler pully. Most of it was covered by my lifetime warranty. The first 180,000 miles were run on conventional oil. Oil gets changed when the truck says to change it.
What oil do you use? Since it seems like the earlier Eagle Hemis tend to have more cam/lifter failures, I’m sure quite a few here would be interested to know!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Am I in a minority of owners since I have had no issues with my truck?
Hard to tell since folks come to internet forums to complain.

My 2015 has been nearly issue free, a few recalls and the rear air suspension pump was replaced (MaxCare). My 2022, after over a year of ownership has been free of all issues including squeaks and rattles.

As I think back I've had few issues with vehicles outside of a couple, both were Fords and I think the issues were amplified by the dealer service department's lack of quality work.

The longest-owned vehicle I've had was a 2003 Tahoe Z71, I racked up just under 300,000 miles. Front hubs were replaced once, replaced the transfer case, and one tranny rebuild. Sold it and bought a 2013 RAM 1500 HEMI, kept it for 9 years, and traded it for the 2022.

We don't have access to the warranty claims so it is hard to tell the percentage of "real" claims. I worked in automotive and some of the warranty issues I saw were, well an example, a lady complained of a clucking noise, and the service tech discovered a couple of cast iron skillets in the rear of the vehicle under a blanket. Another leading cause was the installation of aftermarket products like stereos, remote starters, and lighting. Installers would create shorts that eventually set a DTC and the BCM disabled the circuit. Once I had to evaluate return under warranty electronic models, 99.9% were not broken but the victim of a parts cannon being fired.

My wife is interested in a new Bronco but I'm not too thrilled because of my past experiences with Ford and its dealers. Anyone have a Bronco?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I have only had to replace 2 brake calipers a left front wheel hub and an idler pully.

IDLER PULLEY!!!! You should have dumped it and got a Toyota! :D

Just kidding. Your pic looks like a nice truck and that's a great longevity story. Always good to hear pos feedback. You're doing the right thing to fix each item asap. Conventional oil huh? Interesting. Mine's been real reliable too, but have used Synthetic.

The longer you hang onto it the greater chances things will fail. But yer truck's done well, parts don't last forever. Treat er well ...and hopefully you'll get many more miles from it. How long to you think you'll hang onto it?

Last edited:

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, I don't think you're in the minority.
I think most people come on these forums to vent or find info on an issue they are having but it's only a small sampling of the Dodge/Ram owners over all...
I wish more people could see that. They lack perspective. Search pretty much any forum for any make / model, and you will find a very small minority venting. Ford, Chevy, Tundra, whatever. I do feel for those who are misfortunate to get a problem plagued vehicle, but the vast majority of owners who are generally happy with their vehicles never speak up.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
In 2016, I bought a brandy new F150...Aluminum body. Nice truck. At 5k miles, every light on the dash lit up, it went into limp mode (on a fast moving bridge) and damn near got me killed. Towed it to the dealer...ECM had 24 fault codes. Ford aid it was the throttle body, so they replaced it and away I went. At just over 10K miles, it did the same thing and Ford repaired the same thing. At 13K miles, on my way to Key West for vacation, it did the same thing. I took it back to the house and cleared the codes and called Ford, demanding a Lemon Law replacement. All said and done, Ford offered one with depreciation (which is allowed). It would cost me $4k difference for a new one. I said no thanks...Traded it in on a Toyota and never looked back. So, from my perspective, Ram doesn't have issues......Yes, they tell me not to park it too close to the house as it may catch on fire....And the tailgate will suppossedly open for no reason...Mehhh....The thing runs fine and does what it's suppossed to do, and has never had to limp it's way off a bridge, so life in Ram-land ain't so bad.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As most have said... more times than not people take to the internet to vent and complain, not to tell stories of how great things are going. Typically if things are going great they're out of sight and out of mind.

I was a life-long Ford fan until my 6.4L Powerstroke. I switched to Ram and have now owned 3 and only dumped the previous two because of lifestyle changes. I had a 2012 2500 that ran perfectly. I traded it for a 2016 3500 because I needed a bigger truck. I sold that for my current 1500 because we sold the camper and are waiting for the kids to get out of college before buying another. I have been impressed enough by the Ram platform to stick with it.

Are they perfect? No.. but what mechanical thing is? Are they great trucks? My personal experiences with them say yes, and until/unless those change I'll stick with that mentality.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just happy with my truck overall. 3 recalls done and I do have an E Fan issue, and a Star case or 2, but great ride, goes Vroom, Starts up, has heat, AC and radio with round tires. Hey works for dis BOIRD.

OPINION: Sometimes think luck of the draw sometimes and also proper Maintenance and Upkeep helps also.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes you think you can come on here and say how good your truck has been? Standard operating procedure is to b***h & whine about a problem, that your max care warranty is not helpful and that the dealership is out to screw you!! Congratulations on your experience with your truck! I only hope to mimic your success!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been great as well. 158k on here now. I am having a few very minor issues, but knock on wood it has never given me any major issues!
Good to see U back, hope all is well with U n Family.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Other than the POS HCU thing, my 2018 2500 has been great and I expect it to last forever if I don't wreck it.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2015 1500 has been fantastic, a couple hiccups, but mostly normal maintenance stuff.

165,000 on her. Looking forward to 165,000 more.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought my 2016 used with 32k back in 2019, 63k now and has been trouble free, just regular maintenance.
As others said most come to forums to vent.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
To the OP, you are fortunate that all is well with your truck, and that's a good thing. Might want to check your manual to see what it says about recommended oil. Mine calls for synthetic.

Is there a chance you are running conventional oil and letting the computer select an oil change interval of around 8k depending on driving speeds?

If so, that's way beyond the recommended interval for most conventional oil. Did anyine a hear tic, tic, tic?

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
No problems at all on the 2013 and 2017. No complaints.