Amazon Direct Fit Muffler: Colt/Northeastern Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After listening to what seemed like hundreds of exhaust clips and finding that many of the direct fit mufflers were on back order, I decided to take a shot on an inexpensive one that I kept coming across. I bought mine on Amazon, but found it on eBay after as well. It’s described as an “aggressive” sound, and looked a lot like a carven to me. The listing said colt exhaust but the stickers on it say Northeastern, neither of which I have ever heard of before. On my prior vehicles, I’ve typically gone with flowmaster or magnaflow - but wanted to go for a different tone this time. For $150, I figured why not take a chance?

Shipping was super fast, and quality seems good, especially for the price. It did not come with exhaust clamps, so had to order those separately (note: one 3” and two 2.25” - some of the reviews said 2.5” but those were too big). Anyway, longest part by far was pulling the old muffler off, I was surprised how stuck it was. In a newer truck, or with two sets of hands, I’m thinking the project would have taken half the time. Once the old one was out, the new one went right into place, SUPER easy...it was a great fit! It was a nice surprise. I didn’t have any issues with lining up the tailpipes on the bumper, some of the reviews said it was an issue, but I didn’t experience that at all.

It’s loud, like louder than I expected and videos don’t seem to do it justice. Cold starts especially, I think I’d feel bad for my neighbors if I didn’t have a garage. You can hear it in the cab for sure, until the MDS kicks in, and then you don’t hear much. When you get on the pedal, it really roars. It’s definitely a deeper rumble type sound, but not raspy at all. Haven’t noticed much too much drone, there is some there at certain RPMs, but really not much.

It’s only been on for a couple days, so no highway driving yet. Overall, I really like it though, especially for the price! If you want to get some big sound, but not spend $300+ (or wait 3+ weeks for shipping...I blame COVID impacts) this may be a good option.

I learned a lot on this one, install would go much faster if I did it again (feel like I say that with all of my projects)...I can do a full write up if people are interested, but thought I’d at least give an initial review!

Here is the Amazon link for anyone that is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YQ8C2CZ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_MBW41CT30SSC01HRX1S2

Also, I do have a video clip - if someone wants to recommend the best way to share/post, I’ll definitely do that. Still new to the forum and didn’t know if they had to be hosted elsewhere - also didn’t see a how-to for videos (could have missed it!)

072cc84d4c95261e6c9a53f002ba7837.jpg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I got a free account with Vimeo and upload my videos there. Then you can embed them in your post by clicking the filmstrip icon.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Nice!
Put some 5" or 6" tips on it to get it deeper.
Sounds almost like mine (no muffler, 6" tips)

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I got a free account with Vimeo and upload my videos there. Then you can embed them in your post by clicking the filmstrip icon.
Been wondering how people been doing that! Thanks man!!

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MickeyGreene

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a Carven competitor copy if ive ever seen one lol. Sounds great! I have the progressive on mine, theyre good stuff.

Yeah, no doubt - I thought the same...I really wanted to go with a carven progressive, I was just too impatient to wait for the shipping or deal with unknown delays. I’ve read a lot of really good feedback about the carvens though. This looked close enough to give a try, and glad I did!

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its basically a straight pipe. Hardly anything to be different over the CArven brand. I think you made a wise choice.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Agreed on looking like a carven. Hangers, muffler shape, pipe setup....everything. Whether it's rebranded or knockoff, donno. Had I known about this a few months ago, I might have taken a shot at it. In the end, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

versicolor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there. I'm thinking about picking up this muffler for my ram. Any updates you can share? How are you feeling about it after having it installed for awhile? What about cabin drone? I have a more expensive muffler on the way from American trucks but the more I watch videos of it the more I think it might not be quite enough change in loudness And tone to be worth it. Where's this in definitely has the tone and volume, but I'm worried it might be too much. That price though.....

versicolor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put one on my 2016 months ago love the sound and price!
Hey can you share a more detailed description and your thoughts on it? I'm about to possibly pick one of these up but I'm hoping to get a little more of people's opinions before I make a final decision. Thanks!

OP
OP
MickeyGreene

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there. I'm thinking about picking up this muffler for my ram. Any updates you can share? How are you feeling about it after having it installed for awhile? What about cabin drone? I have a more expensive muffler on the way from American trucks but the more I watch videos of it the more I think it might not be quite enough change in loudness And tone to be worth it. Where's this in definitely has the tone and volume, but I'm worried it might be too much. That price though.....
Hey - I still really like the muffler. It’s definitely a loud, aggressive sound. After having it for a bit, I do notice some drone with the MDS at certain speeds. I try to turn it off to mitigate when I can, but to me it’s not bad on the highway and stuff. I’ll be the first to admit, I do have a pretty high drone tolerance though. I had dual flow master 40s on my old fox body, and never bothered me!! The only thing that I sometimes feel bad about are the cold starts. It’s really loud for a few seconds. So if I’m leaving somewhere late night or early morning, I know the neighbors are hearing it. I just try starting it in my garage when I can, but not everybody has a garage, so wanted to mention it! Overall still very happy, especially considering the price.