Amber LED DRLS for 13+ Projectors...FINALLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Canadian brother brguzz on the "other" ram forum finally found a DRL module
that will enable Rams that came stock with quads and swapped in new Projector Ram heads ...to function the same as 13+ Rams in Canada with amber LED DRLS.

So this has taken me over a year of trying to figure out how to wire my 2012 ram so that the AMBER LED DRL from the new rams with oem projectors will work as DRL. But I've finally figured it out. This will work with both older rams wishing to use the new projectors as well as the new rams that did not come with DRL and whose dealers cannot turn them on.

Heres the link of them working. Sorry for the audio and walking back and forth. I will post instructions on how to do it in a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afMaIt0o_w&feature=youtu.be

Step 1:
-if you wish to have the high beam on low as DRL deactivated your dealership can shut this off for about 30 bucks. Mine did it for free so this will vary.

Step 2 You will need the following:

-2013+ Sport Projector Headlight
-DRL Module (Contact me for purchase info as there is only one that will work. I've tried multiple with no success)
-Electrical tape
-Solder
-Self tapping screw for ground.
-Relay with inline fuse (optional if you do not want to tap into truck wires as power source)

Step 3: Identify the pins on new harness see photo below

Pin 2: Parking lamp
Pin 4: DRL Factory (Omit You Will NOT use this pin)
Pin 12: Turn Signal
Pin 9: Ground (I grounded mine to frame not pin 9 but either will work)

Step 4: Wire in the DRL module as seen below

Green→ self-tapping screw in body
Yellow→ to ignition source supplying 15 amps
min ( or additional relay)
Blue→ Parking lights Drive side (pin 2)
Red→ Drive side Turn (Vehicle side) (pin 12)
Brown→ Driver Side Turn (Bulb Side) (pin 12)
Violet→ Passenger Side Turn (Bulb Side) (pin 12)
Pink→ Passenger Side Turn (Vehicle side) (pin 12)

Step 5: Optional (using relay)
-If you choose not to tap into a 15amp ignition source you can use a relay to eliminate any extra draw on factory system.

1pinout1_zps5saz1deh.jpg

DRL1_Diagram_zpsgkdiw1ze.jpg

DRL=1 Module required

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html

Last edited:

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a good project when weather gets warmer, I miss having these...never will understand Rams thinking on this item....

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Pffft, amber DRLS. All the 'cool' kids have white DRLS and amber turn signals, lol. This is an awesome thing for people doing the swap, I know that I built 4 different harnesses trying to get this to work properly and I finally had to concede defeat. I'm glad someone finally put something together because I knew it was going to take a chip board to control the LED boards but I don't have the electronics knowledge to build one.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Nice!! Thanks for the post! I'm having Jeremy build me a set of '13 projectors for my truck with the switchbacks and colour morph halosLED strips. I plan on using the halos/LED strips as DRLs but was wondering exactly how I could wire them up to function properly as DRL's. I'll definitely look into all the stuff mentioned in this post to get it working the way I want.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My only disappointment with my 13+ projector heads was the LED's
are only half as bright as 13+ Rams that came with them factory.

...Plus I had mine murdered out by JJ
and the tinted LED lens made them even darker...

FXRMurdered_zpsx9nesaue.png

97ccee52-e3df-4bda-b42c-5fe284508215_zps62a666ce.jpg

Adding Amber Demon Eyes helped a little but still not bright enough
unless its totally dark out, but then I need my low beams on.

IMG-20141122-01725_zps3c9062bb.jpg

From the looks of brguzz's video the LED's go to full flash brightness as DRLS
At first I thought I could just run my park lamps to get the same thing...but not to be...

1bright%20LED_zpspnr2inar.jpg

my park lamps in about the same lighting conditions
IMG-20141112-01663_zps2e704e33.jpg

When its brighter out they are barely visible

parklight_zpsb48cf127.jpg

I desperately needed a fix, right now my DRLS are my high beam bulb at half power
(for my canuck ram's DRLS) and looks dumb so I just turn my low beam HID's on ALL the time.

DTRL_zps172f3d66.jpg

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'm actually going to be working with the guys at Diode (Where I get my boards made) for this to be a bit easier......

All in time.......as its hard right now to get the boards - just time consuming, and they are flying outta here faster than I can get them.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Cant you achieve the same thing by getting the LM5 sales code enabled?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yup! just added that as an option, working with the supplier to get that on their site too ;)

WLDFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so my truck came with the quad lights and I bought the factory projector headlights off ebay.. . Being from canada the amber's need to be bright for the DRL I see the vid.. however I would like the link to his youtube step by step to convert over...thanks in advance...
What forum is he on ?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumping an old thread here, but has anyone used this module with the new V2.0 quad-projector harness? I just picked up the new harness and it doesn't work (not sure if I fried the electronic module on the new adapters or something). Yes I should've tried them first before wiring in the DRL module *facepalm*. The module worked fine for a few years with the first style of adapters that were released...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio