Ambient temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new 1500 sport night edition ambient temp sensor has been consistently 5 or more degrees off. Does anyone know where the sensor is located so i can check it against a calibrated sensor? Wondering if its an inaccurate sensor or bad placement which is picking up engine heat. Thanks for any info.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drivers side mirror, look up underneath the mirror arm from the front of the truck. Mine is usually off some if it's sitting out in the sun all day til I get in and drive a few blocks.

IMG_0076.JPG

OP
OP
William Hastings

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man, that's not the auto dimming mirror sensor? How would that tell me outside air temp? Sorry stimp im confused. New to Rams

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ambient temp sensor needs to see run time and compass changes when first starting out to be accurate.

Gsabat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had Mine replaced 3 times already by the dealership. Is there a way to install a new one Myself. I have the Check eng. Lamp on again. I have a gut feeling that moisture is getting into the connector. Thanks.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had Mine replaced 3 times already by the dealership. Is there a way to install a new one Myself. I have the Check eng. Lamp on again. I have a gut feeling that moisture is getting into the connector. Thanks.

Yeah, it just pops out and then you can remove the sensor and replace it.

step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

OP
OP
William Hastings

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stimpy, i apologize, i saw mirror, and overlooked the drivers side part. Quick look i thought it was the rear view. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
If dealers are replacing these sensors with no change, than its the system thats off. I work with instrumentation, most times sensors are good and the error comes from the card or whatever its inputting too