Amp guage problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
1985 Dodge Prospector Royal SE W150 4x4. Problem the amp gauge quit working. Meaning the needle does not move. The alternator IS working. I have power everywhere. For awhile the gauge had odd reading, then it quit working . When you load test the charging system the gauge will move a bit, take the load test away and the gauge does not show the system is charging. When starting the truck, the gauge does not move. This is the factory amp gauge not a light, and not a volt meter.
Any ideas?
Thanks Ed

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
After 35 years of high amperage running through it, it was bound to die eventually. That being said, if it is the gauge thats at fault, all that amperage could bleed off and fry other components like the radio or other gauges.

You could just bypass it, run a 8ish gauge wire from the alternator output directly to the battery and throw in a fusable link. Than disconnect the wires from the alternator and the battery that goes to the amp gauge. Boom done

Or just replace the gauge. But do one or the other soon.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
Nick_rp,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you. Just thought I would check in to see if others had any different thoughts. I have been looking for a gauge for awhile. This truck is very factory correct, I want to keep it that way. Any suggestions on finding a gauge? I know a used one is a crap shoot, NOS would be my ideal way to go.
Ed