AMP Power Steps for 2500 Diesel Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I want to pull the trigger on these but keep hearing about the dreaded pinch weld issues. It seems like walking/bouncing on the steps cures most of the issues if done correctly.

I see conflicting information on when exactly in the process I need to do this. The instructions mention when to do it, but also refer to a youtube video that seems contradictory.

It looks like if its done too late, your screwed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Mount the hinge arms first. Do not install the rivets or the motor. Install the step onto the arms. Manually move the step up and down to check for any clearance issues. If you have minor rubbing on the pinch weld, loosen the bolts on the arms a little and then put your weight on the steps. bounce lightly if needed. Check for clearance and then tighten bolts. Check for clearance again. I didn't have any issues on my 2500, but i did have to do some filing on a 1500 that I had. I did not install the rivets on either truck. I just don't see the need, and have not had any issues.

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mount the hinge arms first. Do not install the rivets or the motor. Install the step onto the arms. Manually move the step up and down to check for any clearance issues. If you have minor rubbing on the pinch weld, loosen the bolts on the arms a little and then put your weight on the steps. bounce lightly if needed. Check for clearance and then tighten bolts. Check for clearance again. I didn't have any issues on my 2500, but i did have to do some filing on a 1500 that I had. I did not install the rivets on either truck. I just don't see the need, and have not had any issues.
This is where I am confused. Don't I have to use the single rivot and install the "riv nuts" prior to putting on the hinge arms?

You also say loosen the bolts. There are two bolts that face the outside and two bolts (installed in the riv nuts) that face the inside. Which ones do I loosesn?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
"If" it happens to hit the pinch weld it's not that big a deal to fix. There are literally thousands and thousands of these out there working just fine. I had one tiny area where mine had a slight bit of drag and a quick hit with a mallet on the pinch weld and it was fixed, again not a big deal.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
This is where I am confused. Don't I have to use the single rivot and install the "riv nuts" prior to putting on the hinge arms?

You also say loosen the bolts. There are two bolts that face the outside and two bolts (installed in the riv nuts) that face the inside. Which ones do I loosesn?
Yes, you have to install the rivnuts first ( unless they're already installed from the factory). Loosen the arm bolts and the pinch weld bolts slightly. You want the arms to move down when you put your weight on the step.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Wait for the RBP Stealth Power Running boards, they are now taking pre-orders for them and should be in stock within the next few weeks ...

The RBPs are way better quality and don't have fitment issues like the AMPs ... check them out ..

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wait for the RBP Stealth Power Running boards, they are now taking pre-orders for them and should be in stock within the next few weeks ...

The RBPs are way better quality and don't have fitment issues like the AMPs ... check them out ..
I've looked at these. Unfortunately they arent hidden as well and their logo is way too large. I have enough issue with the AMP logo when the boards are deployed.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I've looked at these. Unfortunately they arent hidden as well and their logo is way too large. I have enough issue with the AMP logo when the boards are deployed.
When they are deployed you can't even see the logo and even when they are in you still see very little of the logos ...

Mine are pretty hidden, more than the AMPs ..... but to each their own ...

xSHIFTNASTYx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I added 2 stainless steel washers in between the pinch weld and the bottom of the linkage arms that use the smaller screws through the pinch weld. This pushed my clearance back a little bit and I now have about a 1/4" gap in between the AMP board and the pinch weld when fully retracted. Honestly, I don't think I even needed the washers. This was a suggestion I found somewhere else online and I just didn't want to add extra time dealing with the pinch welds.

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I added 2 stainless steel washers in between the pinch weld and the bottom of the linkage arms that use the smaller screws through the pinch weld. This pushed my clearance back a little bit and I now have about a 1/4" gap in between the AMP board and the pinch weld when fully retracted. Honestly, I don't think I even needed the washers. This was a suggestion I found somewhere else online and I just didn't want to add extra time dealing with the pinch welds.
No issue with the bolts being long enough to clear the washers?