Amp Research PowerSteps - anyone else feel like the quality is a little lacking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed Amp Research Powersteps on my truck today and I have to say for the price of the kit I am a little disappointed. I mean they work fine and I’m sure I will love them, but it just seems like the quality of the kit was a little lacking for what they charge. A few things that bugged me…

1. Having to cut down the steps yourself for a mega cab or regular cab. Not the biggest deal, I have a portaband, but it just seems for a $1700 set of steps that should happen at the factory.

2. The written instructions are horrible with a capital H. If it weren’t for YouTube I don’t know if I would have gotten the things installed, as some things simply do not work as they say in the instructions. For one, the bracket they give you to relocate the module on the driver side simply cannot mount where they tell you it goes and clear the motor for the step on that side.. had to bolt it on with one of three bolts and it is still jammed up so tightly against the step motor that you couldn’t slide a piece of paper between them. And why is the second page of the instructions a diagram showing how to mount the motor to the step linkage when you you aren’t supposed to put the motors on until like page twenty. I realize there is a note at the top of the page saying the motors will be attached in step twenty seven, but then why put the instructions to do so on page two? Also, why provide torque specs for bolts that can only be reached with a thin end wrench? And why show installing the plate for the linkage as a separate step where you could use a torque wrench when they come already assembled as one unit?

I‘m not sure I would really recommend this product. It’s ok, but it felt like the quality level was about half the price. Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck came with them. I am not happy with them. But I keep them for my wife.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion the build quality of the product itself is fine.

I do agree the instructions suck. And the design of the brackets makes accessing some of the bolts a PITA.

On mine I had excess wire to the driver’s side motor, and I needed to extend the passenger side. Controller is exactly where they suggested it be placed.

So yeah, I’d agree that for the premium price they should do better.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely love mine. No issues installing, never had to cut mine down so not sure what that is about? (2016 mega cab), no issues with quality either. Put them on the wifes jeep as well and got bonus points for that! Lol.

Mine were ~$1200 when I put them on ~2 years ago, but like Everything right now I'm sure the prices are way up. It's really hard to justify the price of anything right now, from eggs to power steps....

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
As far as the instructions go, they may have changed Chinese suppliers a time or two but never bothered to update the instruction manual.

zrock

Reaction score
That would be the day i spent $1700 and had to cut them down to fit... Not a chance..

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That would be the day i spent $1700 and had to cut them down to fit... Not a chance..

You only have to trim them if you own a regular cab because they don't make a specific model for those due to the low number of them out there. He's full of crap saying you have to cut them for a mega cab

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You only have to trim them if you own a regular cab because they don't make a specific model for those due to the low number of them out there. He's full of crap saying you have to cut them for a mega cab

D797EC4C-2AE1-46EA-ABC5-0A988B237DB2.jpeg215FE779-438B-4CBE-8120-80F9E55C985F.jpeg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Like I said, MEGA cab does NOT require trimming.

Here I'll quote you incase you forgot but thanks for confirming you were wrong..

". Having to cut down the steps yourself for a mega cab or regular cab. Not the biggest deal, I have a portaband, but it just seems for a $1700 set of steps that should happen at the factory."

OP
OP
bretthays

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said, MEGA cab does NOT require trimming.

Here I'll quote you incase you forgot but thanks for confirming you were wrong..

". Having to cut down the steps yourself for a mega cab or regular cab. Not the biggest deal, I have a portaband, but it just seems for a $1700 set of steps that should happen at the factory."
Ok, quad cab. Feel victorious? Have a great Monday!