Amp Research Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DDH67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are the amp research running boards still having issues with the pinch welds on the 2018 RAM 2500. I really don’t want to modify my pinch welds to accommodate these running boards. I am willing to modify the running boards though. Anyone else know of any fixes without modifying the pinch welds? I know RBP has a set of running boards but I don’t like the magnet concept they have.

Thanks

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Are the amp research running boards still having issues with the pinch welds on the 2018 RAM 2500. I really don’t want to modify my pinch welds to accommodate these running boards. I am willing to modify the running boards though. Anyone else know of any fixes without modifying the pinch welds? I know RBP has a set of running boards but I don’t like the magnet concept they have.

Thanks
Every Truck is different. Nothing better than amp steps though. the rbp hang down. Get the Amp XL series if you dont want to risk having to trim

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I put them on my 2018 Ram 2500. I had an issue on my passenger side. It went up no problem, but got hung up trying to extend. After I got it back to the extended position, I loosened up the mounting bolts a little and basically really put my weight up and down on the running board. I then snugged up all the bolts again and then it worked perfectly.
When it 1st happened, I thought I would have to trim the pinch weld. Drivers side gave no trouble at all. Oh, and I did put my weight on both sides initially.
My truck is stock height, and the boards are extended just about perfect. Getting the XLs, which I think extend 3” more, may be kinda awkwardly low.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I heard install them, and when down, pretty much jump up and down on them, you get the pinch weld straight. Most Ram/Amp are that way, from my local dealer that does all the Ram upfitting for local dealer.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've installed 4 sets on 4th gen 1500's and have never had to trim the pinch weld. I had one that pretty much cleared with a little adjustment and the other three took a little more work lightly bouncing ( without actually having your feet leave the step) but they all eventually settled in. Ironically my truck was the most stubborn.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DDH67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for the replies! I think I’m going to go ahead and order them. Worse case I return them.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You will love em!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As stated, Install them but dont full snug them up and stand on the steps, even lightly bounce on them. Then snug them up and it should be fine. Let us know if you would like a quote on them. We stock them and offer great pricing. Just send me a message if interested