Amsoil Severe Gear Diff oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to be changing the front/rear diff's and T-case oils soon, and before I do, I am wanting to know if I need to have the Amsoil friction modifier with the Severe Gear 75w140 gear oil on my 2014 RAM1500 Sport with the anti spin rear diff and 3.92 gears?

On the back of the quart, it states "Use in standard ad limited-slip differentials" then below that it also states "For applications that require additional limted-slip fricion modifier, add Amsoil Slip Lock".

I would preferably add it at the change if need be, not after the fact.

Appreciate any information from those who have experience with the Amsoil.

Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Amsoil words it like that as helical gear LSD do not require a friction modifier. The 1500s use a clutch type LSD and require the additive, the 2500/3500 trucks do not.

OP
OP
viclava

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
crash68, forgive me, but I'm still not clear. With the Amsoil and my particular RAM setup, I still need the friction modifier? This seems to be somewhat of a pain. I just want to change the fluids, but if I can't get a concrete answer about whether or not to use friction modifier with Amsoil, I will just return the oil and get the OEM and go that route maybe.. Sheesh.
Thanks for the reponse

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@viclava I spelled it out exactly, your 1500 has a clutch type LSD and requires a friction modifier.
2500/3500 that have a LSD, but it is a helical gear style that does not require the modifier. That is why Amsoil states it's compatible for use with all LSD but to use a friction modifier when required.
If still don't understand that answer, then waste your time returning the Amsoil along with the LubeGard and go buy the Mopar or Redline 75W-140 (which I have waiting to go in mine).

Last edited:
OP
OP
viclava

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
maybe I wasn't clear with my confusion.. The issue I'm having is the fact that I understood the Amsoil to have the friction modifier already in the bags of oil, so I could not understand if/why I needed the additional Amsoil friction modifier.

Thanks for the responses.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
"For applications that require additional limted-slip fricion modifier, add Amsoil Slip Lock".

You have to add the friction modifier because your truck uses friction clutches to make the limited slip differential work. Just add the friction modifier when changing the differential fluid.

The Amsoil you are using does not have the friction modifier in it for the clutch type limited slip you have. It says that the gear oil is compatible with most limited slip differentials but the clutch type LSD's need the friction modifier.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-140/?code=SVOPK-EA

This is needed:
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock/?code=ADATB-EA