AmsOil Signature vs Penns Oil Platinum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alright, this weekend was vehicle weekend! Changed my wife's oil, cleaned and detailed her car. As a side note, i swaped her car to Royal Purple (they didnt have PUP) and its amazing how much quieter the engine is with good (decent) oil...as opposed to crap.

Now on the the beast! the change is done! Redline in the sump, finally got the k and n drop in air filter cleaned out, ags (mostly) delete, and replaced the mechanical fan clutch.

Ill report back with the results of the switch. It may be wishful thinking, but I could swear the ticking is down a touch. I'll know more this coming week, after some work commuting. In addition to that, I replaced the oil pan drain bolt with an EZ Drain valve plug. This should let me pull a sample inafew thousand miles and send off for a uoa... without having to commit to a full change.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just a quick follow up question on switching to Redline. Since it is a bit thicker oil (for the weight), have you noticed slightly elevated oil temps? Or not really?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It usually increases oil psi by 2 over shelf 5w20, which usually doesnt raise oil temps. However, the most likely culprit of high oil temp is outside ambient temp. Do you think you have an issue? Report your engine oil temp and coolant temp after 1/2 hour trip.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Burla here's that video I promised

Don't let the people here drive you nuts.

Do you want to hear your engine purr? Try these - I use them:

Miracle Mystery Oil in gas

Lubegard 40902 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - Next oil change.​

There are some well intentioned people here who see the world throug the eyes of the Hemi tick - e.g. everything is a Hemi tick.

The 'Tick' would be more pronounced on startup not when warm.

I do not hear anything that sounds like a HEMI TICK.

Healthy sound:

Quick info.

Here is the "HEMI TICK "- caused by exhause manifold bolts issue:

Here is someone who knows what they are talking about:

Last edited:

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It usually increases oil psi by 2 over shelf 5w20, which usually doesnt raise oil temps. However, the most likely culprit of high oil temp is outside ambient temp. Do you think you have an issue? Report your engine oil temp and coolant temp after 1/2 hour trip.
Yeah, I did notice the slight oil pressure increase, but was expecting that. The temps that I'm seeing are not alarming at all, almost back to what I was experiencing before my fan clutch decided to take a walk. But again, nobody knows a truck better than a an owner who pays attention ... so while my temps are WELL within normal range, even when they were "hotter" - they werent normal for this truck.

Changing AGS delete, and fan hub swap seems to have brought them back pretty dang close to where I was at before.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't let the people here drive you nuts.

There are some well intentioned people here who see the world throug the eyes of the Hemi tick - e.g. everything is a Hemi tick.

The 'Tick' would be more pronounced on startup not when warm.

I do not hear anything that sounds like a HEMI TICK
First of all, I certainly appreciate the advice and the time it took to respond and send those links.

However, as I mentioned earlier, no one knows YOUR particular truck like YOU do, and as time goes on, and symptoms increase, in my personal situation it would be irresponsible of me to simply ignore them. Using a preventative maintenance strategy that is fairly well tested (with or without a tick) is never a bad thing...and Im quite grateful for guys like @Burla and others for the time, wisdom and effort they put in here.

I have seen those videos you referenced quite some time ago, and while helpful, provide only a partial view of someone's individual situation. My perspective is this: I'm not going out swapping the cam and lifters and spending tons of money chasing ghosts... but there is literally no downside to upgrading my lubrication strategy to something that has a relatively proven track record at mitigating potential issues.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all, I certainly appreciate the advice and the time it took to respond and send those links.

However, as I mentioned earlier, no one knows YOUR particular truck like YOU do, and as time goes on, and symptoms increase, in my personal situation it would be irresponsible of me to simply ignore them. Using a preventative maintenance strategy that is fairly well tested (with or without a tick) is never a bad thing...and Im quite grateful for guys like @Burla and others for the time, wisdom and effort they put in here.

I have seen those videos you referenced quite some time ago, and while helpful, provide only a partial view of someone's individual situation. My perspective is this: I'm not going out swapping the cam and lifters and spending tons of money chasing ghosts... but there is literally no downside to upgrading my lubrication strategy to something that has a relatively proven track record at mitigating potential issues.

" but there is literally no downside to upgrading my lubrication strategy to something that has a relatively proven track record at mitigating potential issues."

I never said there was.

And I do suggest you try the products I mentioned.

There are many well intentioned people here that will have you chasing ghosts.

Mr. Bula is one of those people. He never heard an engine sound that isn't a hemi tick. Hell, if someone posted a video of an engine turned off; he would say it had the hemi tick.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So just for clarification.. what is your intent here? To offer advice, or discredit another member of this forum? After multiple thread conversations with Burla and others, I can say that your earlier statement of always diagnosing something as a tick is categorically false....and Im pretty sure you haven't read all 21,000 of his posts to know that.

The last thing I want to do, is turn this thread (which has been very helpful until now) into a personal bash on anyone. After all, I did seek out his advice specifically. So, in light of that, thanks for the product recommendations, but I consider your contribution to this conversation closed.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just for clarification.. what is your intent here? To offer advice, or discredit another member of this forum? After multiple thread conversations with Burla and others, I can say that your earlier statement of always diagnosing something as a tick is categorically false....and Im pretty sure you haven't read all 21,000 of his posts to know that.

The last thing I want to do, is turn this thread (which has been very helpful until now) into a personal bash on anyone. After all, I did seek out his advice specifically. So, in light of that, thanks for the product recommendations, but I consider your contribution to this conversation closed.
"So just for clarification.. what is your intent here?"

1.I wrote - reread my first post to you.

2. Quote people so they know you responded to them.

3. Enjoy chasing Mr. Burla' ghosts.

Jay_ramble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if everyone has seen this, but I love this guy's work. I understand that this testing isn't completely relevant to engine operation, but there's some really good info near the end from oil analysis of a bunch of stuff

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if everyone has seen this, but I love this guy's work. I understand that this testing isn't completely relevant to engine operation, but there's some really good info near the end from oil analysis of a bunch of stuff

I enjoy his stuff. But you have to test for the right things.

One of things he can't test for is the additives and long term use in an engine. Additives is what one thing that can distinguish one oil from another e.g. cleaning properities.

Jay_ramble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I enjoy his stuff. But you have to test for the right things.

One of things he can't test for is the additives and long term use in an engine. Additives is what one thing that can distinguish one oil from another e.g. cleaning properities.

This video has comparisons of all the tested oils various packages starting around the 6.5 minute mark from sending them off for analysis. It helps to see how stuff like mobile 1 is a complete rip off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606-120631.png
    Screenshot_20230606-120631.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 11

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This video has comparisons of all the tested oils various packages starting around the 6.5 minute mark from sending them off for analysis. It helps to see how stuff like mobile 1 is a complete rip off

Yea, I have a 6.4L 2500 and use PUP 0w40 and change my own oil. I think a lot of people use Mobl1 0w40 because they can find it at Walmart and they don't understand why it isn't recommended for a truck like mine.

I've used Amsoil before; including their gear oil. It isn't worth the ording process or cost to me.

I use PUP 0w40 and Lubegard.

I like Project Farm.