Another AlphaRex Headlight Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Morales how do you have your drl's ser up? Did you do alphaobd setup or the dedicated fuse tap? If one does the aplhaobd set up, is the dedicated line even needed or does alpha rework the drls just using the main harness? I have a '16 sport (not sure if that makes a difference)

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
@Morales how do you have your drl's ser up? Did you do alphaobd setup or the dedicated fuse tap? If one does the aplhaobd set up, is the dedicated line even needed or does alpha rework the drls just using the main harness? I have a '16 sport (not sure if that makes a difference)

When you buy the headlights you'll select that you have oem projectors for the adapter harness. It appears they've added the dedicated drl feed into the harness so everything is plug and play. No tapping for the dedicated drl's. You simply plug the red wires coming out of the headlights into the projector adapter harness and you are all set. You shouldn't need alfaobd

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

OP
OP
cmorales30

cmorales30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi

So I used the DRL relay harness that AlphaRex provided. I just used a fuse tap into F66 I believe. Then the back of the headlights have male ends that you just plug into the harness, which was pretty straight forward. d26beafec13b73f50a5f3b7fca1b6300.jpg
The DRL’s on the headlights light up white and then switchback to orange for the turns/ hazards. I didn’t go the AlfaOBD route since I don’t have the program yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you buy the headlights you'll select that you have oem projectors for the adapter harness. It appears they've added the dedicated drl feed into the harness so everything is plug and play. No tapping for the dedicated drl's. You simply plug the red wires coming out of the headlights into the projector adapter harness and you are all set. You shouldn't need alfaobd

I purchased mine more than a year ago. I'll have to check if my harness is set up that way. Ultimately what I want is to be able to add the DRL on/off to my radio screen. I'd rather not have any fuse taps at all so if alpha allows for that possibility (everything done at the headlight/ harness AND I can switch it on and off at the radio I'd be Golden!!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I purchased mine more than a year ago. I'll have to check if my harness is set up that way. Ultimately what I want is to be able to add the DRL on/off to my radio screen. I'd rather not have any fuse taps at all so if alpha allows for that possibility (everything done at the headlight/ harness AND I can switch it on and off at the radio I'd be Golden!!

Yes alfaobd can give you that option. I'm not sure how long ago alpharex added in the dedicated drl wire to the projector adapter harness

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait so if you have Alfa go don’t need the tap? Does it matter if I have wild headlights as last I knew these are easier to setup and do t need adapter like you would for sport projectors.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait so if you have Alfa go don’t need the tap? Does it matter if I have wild headlights as last I knew these are easier to setup and do t need adapter like you would for sport projectors.
If you had oem projectors, no. If you had anything else, you'll need the tap unless you want to add the extra oem drl harness and activate it via alfaobd. The fuse tap is stupid easy and only takes about 5 minutes to connect.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had oem projectors, no. If you had anything else, you'll need the tap unless you want to add the extra oem drl harness and activate it via alfaobd. The fuse tap is stupid easy and only takes about 5 minutes to connect.
I was reading on one of the models that they changed the wiring and I could do it with Alfa. Debating if I just go xbs maybe the actual led chip I better than me putting something in plus five year warranty.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I was reading on one of the models that they changed the wiring and I could do it with Alfa. Debating if I just go xbs maybe the actual led chip I better than me putting something in plus five year warranty.
The anything with a dedicated led projector setup is better than putting led in a halogen projector. The morimoto may still need you to do the fuse tap for the drl. Like I said, if you didn't have oem projectors, then you don't physically have the drl wiring in your truck unless you add it yourself. If you add it, you'll then need alfaobd to enable it.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m lost so quads don’t have drls but projectors do? So now I’d need to get the mod2 wiring and pin it ect?