Another cruise control issue... (sorry guys)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ceasar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 4x4
Hi volks,

i am having some trouble with my cruise control. Here is what happens...

If standing still, pressing the cruise control button, it turns on by showing "cruise control" on display.
When i start driving around 2mph, it turns off.
Ofcourse I tried to turn it on when above 30 miles, but nothing worked.

So, i looked under my truck and i found a sensor on the rear differential which seemed to be the abs sensor (or speed sensor).
Even though abs is working fine, i bought a new sensor and istalled it. Problems still the same.

Furthermore i saw on my left front wheel a sensor as well. At least i can see two cables going into the breakes. 1 ofcourse is for the breaks. The other one seems to be a sensor as well. I think that it is part-no 5083204AA, 5083204AB at RockAuto.

Ofcourse i could order this part as well and switch it in order to see if it works. But i don't wand to waste money (its about 90USD until it arrives in germany) in case the error is somewhere else.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix this?

Oh, please note that 2 month ago i checked the system and it showed following error codes, which seem to be related to my problem:

-P0585
-P1501

Back than i just deleted them and they didn't came back. Cruise control was not working back than as well.

I already appreciate your assistance and sorry for my low level english!

Rgds from good'ol germany

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The front left wheel a sensor is abs sensor and is possible your issue and the info below came from obd.com and the multi function switch could be another thing to check

When a code P0585 is stored, it means that the powertrain control module has detected a discrepancy between correlating voltage inputs of the cruise control multi-function switch. Input A/B (or A and B) references a specific but separate set of input circuits. Consult a reliable source of vehicle information to determine exactly which circuits are indicated with this code. The cruise control (or speed control) system is controlled by the PCM, using inputs from the multi-function switch. The multi-function switch is so called because it controls functions in multiple systems. For instance, it may provide input signals for the cruise control system, the turn signals, and the windshield wiper system. Typically, it only acts as a lever for the turn signals but may also house the actual turn signal switch. The driver provides manual inputs using the multi-function switch. These input signals are forwarded to the PCM, which applies the appropriate voltage signal to a cruise control servo motor. These inputs include a command to maintain current vehicle speed, resume a previously maintained vehicle speed, accelerate to increase vehicle speed, or disengage acceleration in order to coast and decrease vehicle speed. Of course, depressing the brake pedal should disengage the cruise control system. Cruise control systems do not generally become active until vehicle speed exceeds 35 mph. The PCM adjusts cruise control servo motor voltage to achieve the appropriate throttle position for maintaining the desired vehicle speed. If the PCM detects an input voltage signal that is not within programmed specifications, or if the vehicle speed cannot be maintained using the cruise control system, a code P0585 will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated. Multiple drive cycles with a failure may be required for MIL illumination.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0585
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

OP
OP
C

Ceasar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 4x4
Hi Terry,
many thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately i do not know what to do exactly.
Ofcourse i can bring it to a oficial garage and they fix it... But this would be too easy. (And will costs probably around 250-400Euros).

So, if you have an applicable advise for me, i would appreciate it very much :drool:

I am not the best mechanic, as i am new to this. BUT i am absolutely willed to learn!
So, what should be my next step? Just buy the piece i mentioned in my first post and see what happens? Or is there anything else i should do first?

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Inoperative Dodge cruise control can be a result of several factors.
As stated in the answer to the previous question, the first and most common problem could be of a cracked or loose vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the cruise control servo.
If this checks out fine, it should be disconnected at the cruise control servo to verify if vacuum is present.

Cruise control is also overridden when the brake switch input to the PCM indicates that the brake is being applied.
This is probably due to the switch becoming misaligned.
To counter this, while driving over 35mph, you need to reach under the brake pedal and attempt to set speed control. If it engages, a new switch is required. These switches self-adjust when installed and need not be reset.

Apart from this, the other factors which can cause Dodge cruise control problems is a stop lamp switch, clock spring under the steering wheel, wiring issues or a problematic PCM. Problems with the switch, PCM may be diagnosed using a scan tool such as “SnapOn”. Alternatively auto part stores can allow free connection of scan tools for diagnosis. Once connected you need to look specifically for cruise control switch inputs, brake switch operation and other cruise control related codes.

OP
OP
C

Ceasar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 4x4
Hi Ramrocker,

i think my 2004 has no vacuum pump for the cruise control. It works all electric.

I will try to do the counter to brake pedal when over 35mph. Maybe or hopefully it is a damaged switch. That would be easy.

Will keep you guys informed.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had same problem. I reset the computer and it went away for a while. Replaced driver side hub and it went away. Abs sensor was bad. But I had abs light and brake warning light illuminated on dash.

OP
OP
C

Ceasar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 4x4
oh okay.
When you say "driver side hub", what do you mean? Do you mean the sensor on the wheel?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The complete hub/ wheel bearing assembly with the sensor.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for getting back with the results! Glad it was easy fix.

BOOMGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2004 1500 QC 5.7

I have exactly the same symptoms, turns on at a stop but turns off as soon as I move. Here’s the difference for me, I have rear wheel abs only, no front abs sensor to change. No abs or brake lights flashing.
It has done this exact thing since my first test drive, it has never stayed on once I started moving.
I’ve scanned it and a shop scanned it, no codes at all after replacing an O2 sensor.

Other guesses now that the front abs/hub option is eliminated?

BOOMGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has that been an issue for anyone else? That’s a new one to me.
Hmmmm...
Tough replacement I assume because it is sealed inside of the axle housing?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No it’s the sensor on top of the rear diff. Look for the wires going to it. It is easy to change.

BOOMGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oh wait! You said the sensor, I thought you were guessing that it was the ring.
No abs codes, still a possibility do you think?