Another Ecodiesel hits 400,000 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Ye ole Ecodiesel hits 400,000 miles yesterday coming home. Talked to fellow transporter James his is at 428,000 miles. Ye ol girl took a 6,500 pound 27" floorplan Airstream from Ohio to Cali. This time I was coming home empty so I was babying her as usual. For those that don't know the original motor pushed a head gasket at 371,000 miles due to low coolant from a leaking EGR cooler. So always keep tabs on the coolant level in your degas tank or get a tune and an EGR cooler delete kit. Also the original odometer stopped working as they all due at 1 million kilometers or 621,371.9 miles.

This motor has been tuned from day one (risking the precious warranty oh the horrors) so no emissions or emissions cooler problems. Not that this is anything super special. Lots of Cummins do the same only that this is not a heavy duty industrial grade engine but rather the soft riding 1500 with the quiet smooth light duty fuel sipper diesel.

A7BD2C3D-1B45-4982-BC18-B33E79FFB104.jpeg

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Oh, it is MPH, not KMH!!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Impressive! I see these things blowing up at 100k ish all the time guess your lucky as hell!! locally i seen plenty with blown Eco diesels for sale unless they fixed them in a certain year?

OP
OP
VernDiesel

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Tidefan, No the transmission had a simple solenoid go bad at 700k. Unfortunately in this trans its built into a board and was cost prohibitive to fix. I bought a 70k mile used for $1,260 and it’s worked flawlessly for the another 70k so far. Yes still use Valvoline max life. I changed it when installed the used tranny and once again since then to put my trans pan on it. The original trans still worked flawlessly until the solenoid failure.

jws123, People that baby them around at just over idle and don’t invest in a tune often eventually suffer harmonics derived crank failure or so is my belief. Dirty soot filled oil passages from government detune can’t help either. Poor lubrication & cooling from clogged oil to crank & bearing surfaces can’t help.

This is the same for 2014 through 2020 gen 2 EDs in the 4th gen body. New emissions systems and redesigned engine in gen 3 EDs in the gen 5 body should not have to contend with this. If you have a gen 2 ED motor I suggest investing in an aftermarket tune and not letting the motor lug in a tall gear. Cruising or towing I prefer 2k and often use the gear selector button if travel is going to keep me much below that for long. No claims just saying its seem to work for well for me for 770k.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well done Vern.

I whole heartedly agree with you regarding letting your ED spin 2000+ rpm. I use the slap stick in my 5.7 truck all the time, to keep it above 2000 rpm. In the long run, I think you’re better off.

I have often wondered how many cams in the Hemis prematurely bit the dust because of tall gearing, lugging, and lack of lubrication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VernDiesel

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I agree low rpm is good to a point. Low rpm lug in 8th up a grade not so much IMO. Low oil pressure / flow volume at a time of high load. Any engine really but some as in the Hemi cams and ED low rpm crank harmonics really suffer. You should be able to "feel" lug in your truck but I know many are oblivious to it and just think its normal. And to a point it is but that does not mean that you should allow or even make it operate there anymore than you can avoid. Lol tone deaf to it so to speak.

Edit thinking about my any engine comment. I'll walk it back a bit. Some large especially in line 6 diesels (semi truck engines, Cummins 6.7) you can find or feel no such place or feeling.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This motor has been tuned from day one (risking the precious warranty oh the horrors) so no emissions or emissions cooler problems. Not that this is anything super special. Lots of Cummins do the same only that this is not a heavy duty industrial grade engine but rather the soft riding 1500 with the quiet smooth light duty fuel sipper diesel.

View attachment 238174

Have you done anything besides regular maintenance? Does it burn oil?
It may not be industrial grade but that's very impressive for a spaghetti diesel.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ram should use your truck in a commercial.
But I would guess the tune would squash that idea, they wouldn't want that part in any commercials.:deal:
Oh well.
:cheers:

OP
OP
VernDiesel

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
T6 and 10k rated oil filter every 10k. Mopar fuel filter water separator unit every 30k per original warranty. Valvoline max life full synthetic Transmission fluid every 100k. Rear differential Wallmart full synthetic fluid 140/75 every 50k ish. But finger dip test it periodically. Thats the main stuff.

The last two oil changes I've added a total of a quart each oil change. Rural Kind "All Fleet" HD 5/40 conventional diesel oil is like 7.93 a gallon I use that to top it off. No frothing. Rural king has 2.5 gallon jugs on special through the end of the month. Normally 49.99 for 2.5 gallon jug which is what the 14-20 ED takes per oil change.

9B8F9226-9B45-49C7-86D0-483F909C0185.jpeg