Another extended warranty question. Who do I go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. My 2019 Bighorn is about to pass 10,000 miles and I’m seriously thinking of getting an 8year/125k extended warranty with the $100 deductible. I’m not completely sold on buying one but I’m starting to wonder if it just might be worth it with expensive high mileage repairs.

Who to go with? Ziegler or Chrysler Warranty Direct? Ziegler is around $100 more ($2940) vs Chrysler Warranty Direct ($2825).

Anyone deal with either of these companies, and are you satisfied with the extended warranty? (I.e. are they really covering everything other than wear and tear.) I’d hate to spend the money only to find that they won’t repair something under the warranty for whatever reason.

Thx and Happy 4th!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've covered 4 MOPAR vehicles with Chrysler Warranty Direct MaxCare extended warranties.

I'd suggest you read the warranty terms to understand what is covered, what isn't covered, length of coverage, deductible amounts and exclusions to coverage.

In my experience the coverage is excellent, the deductible is low and there was never a problem processing a claim for warranty service which was handled by my Ram dealer.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you pay thesse warranties outright or monthly payments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A lot of folks buy them when they purchase the vehicle.

I got the one for my 2007 MegaCab directly on a monthly payment plan. But that was some time ago. They might still offer such a plan.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This guy took great care of me and will beat anyone's price:

Jason Edmonson
Mopar Service Contracts
CR Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - Official Dealer
[email protected]
Warranty Office

2000 Curtis Road
Adrian, MI 49221

(517)662-0400 - Direct Line

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. My 2019 Bighorn is about to pass 10,000 miles and I’m seriously thinking of getting an 8year/125k extended warranty with the $100 deductible. I’m not completely sold on buying one but I’m starting to wonder if it just might be worth it with expensive high mileage repairs.

Who to go with? Ziegler or Chrysler Warranty Direct? Ziegler is around $100 more ($2940) vs Chrysler Warranty Direct ($2825).

Anyone deal with either of these companies, and are you satisfied with the extended warranty? (I.e. are they really covering everything other than wear and tear.) I’d hate to spend the money only to find that they won’t repair something under the warranty for whatever reason.

Thx and Happy 4th!
Extended warranties are risky business. I would advise not too.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The Chrysler Mopar policy is excellent.
Ziegler or Chrysler Warranty Direct are selling the exact same policy, buy the best deal.

I have purchased from Chrysler Warranty Direct because they always had the best price. Been very satisfied.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You'd be silly not to finance it for 0% if the cash and finance price is the same.

I still wouldn't discount aftermarket warranties, especially if it's through a dealer network you like using. If they recommend one it's because they like dealing with them.

$3K is a tough pill to swallow for something that's not even going to come into play for another ~3yrs/50K miles for you for powertrain and another 2/26 for everything else.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I purchase my extended warranties through the dealer where I buy my vehicles. I’ll find my best price online and have them meet or beat the price. Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather hand my money to a live person than some Internet site.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the 3 grand in the bank. Add a bit to it occasionally. Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money, hence, they can't pay for repairs and the truck note, insurance, and genral costs of vehicle ownership. In the big picture of ownership, it is not generally good to pay additional insurance for the inevitable..... car repairs. Sadly, too many folks budget by how much they can pay per month, and do not consider future inevitability of mechanical breakage. Never finance for over 48 months. That will generally get you past the factory warranty before anything begins to cause problems such that you have the disposable income to pay repair costs before it is needed.

There are books written on this subject and they are very educational. Remeber this, too.... If the vehicle is old enough when an extended warranty claim is made, and the book value on the vehicle is low enough, the Warranty Company (Insurance Company) Can total the vehicle and will if the estimate exceeds the book value. I've seen it several times through the years.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I went with Clay Robbins because they had the best price at the time for the Maxcare unlimited warranty. If Ziegler and Chrysler Warranty Direct is the Maxcare warranty, I would go with the best price.

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Put the 3 grand in the bank. Add a bit to it occasionally. Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money, hence, they can't pay for repairs and the truck note, insurance, and genral costs of vehicle ownership. In the big picture of ownership, it is not generally good to pay additional insurance for the inevitable..... car repairs. Sadly, too many folks budget by how much they can pay per month, and do not consider future inevitability of mechanical breakage. Never finance for over 48 months. That will generally get you past the factory warranty before anything begins to cause problems such that you have the disposable income to pay repair costs before it is needed.

There are books written on this subject and they are very educational. Remeber this, too.... If the vehicle is old enough when an extended warranty claim is made, and the book value on the vehicle is low enough, the Warranty Company (Insurance Company) Can total the vehicle and will if the estimate exceeds the book value. I've seen it several times through the years.

Thanks for that, Sherman Bird. Exactly which way I’m leaning.
I’m a huge Dave Ramsey fan and he pretty much states the same exact thing.
I do appreciate all the info on this thread, all of these opinions helped me form my plan of action , which is to forego the warranty and save my $$$ instead.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money,

825 credit score, own my truck, 3 company vehicles, a 35K RV and my house outright. Also have 2 vacation rental properties and a very successful business. I'm 48, have no college degree and had very poor parents. Drop me a PM if you'd like to talk about how I manage my money.

Yes, I have an extended warranty and your view of it is ignorant and short sighted. The warranty is a way to manage costs and not have to trade in ever 3 years.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
825 credit score, own my truck, 3 company vehicles, a 35K RV and my house outright. Also have 2 vacation rental properties and a very successful business. I'm 48, have no college degree and had very poor parents. Drop me a PM if you'd like to talk about how I manage my money.

Yes, I have an extended warranty and your view of it is ignorant and short sighted. The warranty is a way to manage costs and not have to trade in ever 3 years.[/QUOT

Yes, I have an extended warranty and your view of it is ignorant and short sighted. The warranty is a way to manage costs and not have to trade in ever 3 years.

Bully for you! If the extended warranty gives you peace of mind... then wonderful! Be careful what you ass/u/me about that which is inferred by what someone says on a forum. I think you have done great in life! I've been a millionaire and stone broke more than once! Broke isn't any fun! Now, I'm happily comfy.

As a professional automotive person, I am neither ignorant nor short sighted. Pragmatic is more accurate! Warranties are a very poor money management tool; they make the insurance company rich....

I never knew anyone who bragged about lack of education before! 'Murica!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Bully for you! If the extended warranty gives you peace of mind... then wonderful! Be careful what you ass/u/me about that which is inferred by what someone says on a forum. I think you have done great in life! I've been a millionaire and stone broke more than once! Broke isn't any fun! Now, I'm happily comfy.

As a professional automotive person, I am neither ignorant nor short sighted. Pragmatic is more accurate! Warranties are a very poor money management tool; they make the insurance company rich....

I never knew anyone who bragged about lack of education before! 'Murica!

I'm with mtofell on this. If you are such a professional automotive person you should know that the $3000.00 saved doesn't buy you much on a repair of today's diesel trucks. IMO very poor advice.

And to say, "Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money" is offensive, arrogant and absurd.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm with mtofell on this. If you are such a professional automotive person you should know that the $3000.00 saved doesn't buy you much on a repair of today's diesel trucks. IMO very poor advice.

And to say, "Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money" is offensive, arrogant and absurd.[/

Taken out of context, of course.... and to attack me personally and professionally. Maybe I hit a nerve. You say in your self narrative that you are not politically correct and tell it like it is. I will be nice here. I like obtuse folk who say in like it is when they weigh the context against the overall message. I'm sorry for your thin skin.

Yes, 3 grand will cover a lot of repairs... but not at the stealership. I worked in those stealerships for many years and took one nugget of value from it..... second to none world class training. It made me a very good diagnostician which is glaringly absent in aftermarket training. After reading some of these posts, the current state of affairs in the stealerships regarding diagnostics hasn't done so well since I left them once and for all 18 years ago.

I also embrace the lifetime estate management technique which was taught by the late Jonathon Pond, Dave Ramsey's predecessor. He taught folks to keep a car/truck for 10 years back in those days... Warranties were 12 month, 12 thousand miles, and a fully equipped Silverado could be had for about 4 grand. I go for 20 years these days. I have a customer base of very financially successful people who see that light. I've taught them to take their financial eyes off the "book value" which is a tool of Madison Avenue and the financial sharks out there who are keenly aware of the malady where folks get trapped in the vicious circle of monthly payments perpetually. That estate draining trick is exacerbated by adding extended warranties to further add insult to financial doldrum.

My newest vehicle is a 2007 with 211 thousand miles on the clock. I haven't had a car payment in decades. My home is paid for. I too have had unforeseen major car trouble that I couldn't fix myself. 5 Years ago, I underwent major surgery and had an expensive problem with my 2002 Sequoia which I had repaired by someone else. Because the vehicle was/is paid for long past, and by saving my otherwise car payment money, I had plenty in the bank to pay to get it fixed. Many of my customers drive well maintained vehicles with way north of 200 thousand miles.... and these folks routinely drive these vehicles in Houston's traffic grid every day and go across country on vacations each year without problems.

I clearly stated to add to the 3 grand. After the payments are completed, one should keep making the payments into the account that the 3 grand was deposited... So, in the event a 4500 dollar repair comes up in year 6 or 7, a person has the money for repairs.

Lastly, I honor extended warranty coverage for those of my customers who feel "safe" because they have it. I merely give them the information and respect their own decisions regarding paying big money for "coverage".....and that brings me to the point that really clinches my negative spin on such expensive insurance product.... These extended warranty folks generally decline many common repairs. They routinely try to cram ****** low quality aftermarket parts down my throat in order for the insurance company to keep their money when they do authorize the high dollar jobs, thereby undermining my standards of repair excellence by letting the cost of parts be the benchmark of the repair job. I don't play that game.
I had one try to undermine my already low profit margin by "sourcing" an A/C compressor and they were going to ship this used part to my facility. I prevailed using a high quality new part after spending an inordinate amount of my valuable time debating with the idiot adjuster over the phone. I eventually sicked the customer on him so he could explain why a 2 day shop visit had expanded to over a week. That did the trick. Keep in mind, who is really looking out for your best interests with your vehicle. It sure isn't some aftermarket insurance extended warranty.

I've seen 3 really nice late model cars get totaled out by the expense of repairs by extended warranty companies. They actually took possession of these cars from the facility! (this was in my stealership days; I would never allow another entity to remove a customer's vehicle from my premises due to Texas' Care, Custody, Control laws on the books.

Last edited:
OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
here is what Dave Ramsey says about bragging about a great credit score:

“Around here, we like to say a credit score is just an “I love debt score.” Think about it. A credit score doesn’t reflect your salary increases, the amount of money in your savings account, or how well you budget each month.

If someone in your family was to pass away and leave you a million dollars, your credit score wouldn’t change one single point. Your net worth would skyrocket, but your credit score wouldn’t budge. Seems fishy, doesn’t it?

In other words, a credit score has nothing to do with how well you handle your money. But it does show how well you play around with debt. Your credit score is solely built on how much debt you have, what kind of debt you have, how long you’ve had it, and how you’ve paid on it.

That’s all.”