Another extended warranty question. Who do I go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I completely understand folks in here who purchase extended warranties, and the thought process. It’s a tough choice. Me personally, I’ve decided to not spend the $3k on one simply because I’m gambling that my saved money will grow and net me even more money to put away for future repairs that may, may not, or exceed the money I’d spend on a warranty.

it is a gamble, no more no less. My 2019 is only a year old and 10k miles so why would I spend money on something that won’t even kick in for two more years/26k more miles? To me that is a waste.

To each their own. However I will NEVER criticize anyone who buys one.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
here is what Dave Ramsey says about bragging about a great credit score:

“Around here, we like to say a credit score is just an “I love debt score.” Think about it. A credit score doesn’t reflect your salary increases, the amount of money in your savings account, or how well you budget each month.

If someone in your family was to pass away and leave you a million dollars, your credit score wouldn’t change one single point. Your net worth would skyrocket, but your credit score wouldn’t budge. Seems fishy, doesn’t it?

In other words, a credit score has nothing to do with how well you handle your money. But it does show how well you play around with debt. Your credit score is solely built on how much debt you have, what kind of debt you have, how long you’ve had it, and how you’ve paid on it.

That’s all.”

I'm with you, but if someone needs Dave Ramsey to explain that to you, you're got other things you may wanna address.

The term "credit score" starts with with word "credit". That's what it's all about. Your history and ability to pay back your loan debt. Nothing more.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here is what Dave Ramsey says about bragging about a great credit score:

“Around here, we like to say a credit score is just an “I love debt score.” Think about it. A credit score doesn’t reflect your salary increases, the amount of money in your savings account, or how well you budget each month.

If someone in your family was to pass away and leave you a million dollars, your credit score wouldn’t change one single point. Your net worth would skyrocket, but your credit score wouldn’t budge. Seems fishy, doesn’t it?

In other words, a credit score has nothing to do with how well you handle your money. But it does show how well you play around with debt. Your credit score is solely built on how much debt you have, what kind of debt you have, how long you’ve had it, and how you’ve paid on it.

That’s all.”

Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door"..... and what you say is in that book! Yay for you seeing that very on point!

Years ago, in a Ford dealer where I was employed as a mechanic, I worked on an old well worn Econoline 150. The silver haired and bearded man who owned it wore khaki work clothes, donned a straw hat, and had on regular oxford work shoes. He would hang around while I worked on his van and we had many great conversations. He was like the neighbors I'd grown up in the midst of. Down to Earth.

This simple man was named "Sterling McCall Sr." He was one of the wealthiest men in Houston. He financed his son's extremely successful Toyota and Lexus Dealerships!

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm with you, but if someone needs Dave Ramsey to explain that to you, you're got other things you may wanna address.

The term "credit score" starts with with word "credit". That's what it's all about. Your history and ability to pay back your loan debt. Nothing more.

No need for anyone to explain to me.. I was just quoting one of the most successful debt free investors in the world

You mentioned “loan debt.” That is exactly what Ramsey tries to explain regarding credit scores. Mortgage aside, unless it is an emergency, we need to get into the mind set that if we can’t pay cash we shouldn’t be buying it. Or finance it initially and pay it off quickly thereafter.Easy debt is what America is built on unfortunately... and why so many folks today find themselves buried in credit card debt, car loans, etc... hey, yeah, sure you can afford it! So they kept up with the Jones’es and have really nice things, and a great credit rating...but at what cost? Being a ***** to debt.

So back to the topic... an extended warranty is a gamble. I’m not willing to spend the money - it’s a lot of money, $3k! - upfront on a “what if”. Especially when my truck still has two years and 26k miles to go.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Taken out of context, of course.... and to attack me personally and professionally. Maybe I hit a nerve. You say in your self narrative that you are not politically correct and tell it like it is. I will be nice here. I like obtuse folk who say in like it is when they weigh the context against the overall message. I'm sorry for your thin skin.

Yes, 3 grand will cover a lot of repairs... but not at the stealership. I worked in those stealerships for many years and took one nugget of value from it..... second to none world class training. It made me a very good diagnostician which is glaringly absent in aftermarket training. After reading some of these posts, the current state of affairs in the stealerships regarding diagnostics hasn't done so well since I left them once and for all 18 years ago.

I also embrace the lifetime estate management technique which was taught by the late Jonathon Pond, Dave Ramsey's predecessor. He taught folks to keep a car/truck for 10 years back in those days... Warranties were 12 month, 12 thousand miles, and a fully equipped Silverado could be had for about 4 grand. I go for 20 years these days. I have a customer base of very financially successful people who see that light. I've taught them to take their financial eyes off the "book value" which is a tool of Madison Avenue and the financial sharks out there who are keenly aware of the malady where folks get trapped in the vicious circle of monthly payments perpetually. That estate draining trick is exacerbated by adding extended warranties to further add insult to financial doldrum.

My newest vehicle is a 2007 with 211 thousand miles on the clock. I haven't had a car payment in decades. My home is paid for. I too have had unforeseen major car trouble that I couldn't fix myself. 5 Years ago, I underwent major surgery and had an expensive problem with my 2002 Sequoia which I had repaired by someone else. Because the vehicle was/is paid for long past, and by saving my otherwise car payment money, I had plenty in the bank to pay to get it fixed. Many of my customers drive well maintained vehicles with way north of 200 thousand miles.... and these folks routinely drive these vehicles in Houston's traffic grid every day and go across country on vacations each year without problems.

I clearly stated to add to the 3 grand. After the payments are completed, one should keep making the payments into the account that the 3 grand was deposited... So, in the event a 4500 dollar repair comes up in year 6 or 7, a person has the money for repairs.

Lastly, I honor extended warranty coverage for those of my customers who feel "safe" because they have it. I merely give them the information and respect their own decisions regarding paying big money for "coverage".....and that brings me to the point that really clinches my negative spin on such expensive insurance product.... These extended warranty folks generally decline many common repairs. They routinely try to cram ****** low quality aftermarket parts down my throat in order for the insurance company to keep their money when they do authorize the high dollar jobs, thereby undermining my standards of repair excellence by letting the cost of parts be the benchmark of the repair job. I don't play that game.
I had one try to undermine my already low profit margin by "sourcing" an A/C compressor and they were going to ship this used part to my facility. I prevailed using a high quality new part after spending an inordinate amount of my valuable time debating with the idiot adjuster over the phone. I eventually sicked the customer on him so he could explain why a 2 day shop visit had expanded to over a week. That did the trick. Keep in mind, who is really looking out for your best interests with your vehicle. It sure isn't some aftermarket insurance extended warranty.

I've seen 3 really nice late model cars get totaled out by the expense of repairs by extended warranty companies. They actually took possession of these cars from the facility! (this was in my stealership days; I would never allow another entity to remove a customer's vehicle from my premises due to Texas' Care, Custody, Control laws on the books.

Bla, bla, bla --

It wasn't an attack on you I was merely giving my opinion about what you said. Including your, "Extended warranties are for folks who can't or won't manage their money" being out of line.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you had say, 50 grand in the bank after driving home your brand new Ram..... would you buy the extended warranty? If so, why?

I paid cash for my 19 Laramie (well I took the FCA cash and paid the loan off in one month), have a lot more than $50K in the bank and bought an extended warranty for the same reason I carry an umbrella policy, high limits on my auto insurance and don't carry life insurance. I'm investing my money in comfortable amounts to guarantee that I'm not hit with large, unexpected expenses that I'd rather not incur.

The cost/benefit in my mind is acceptable and if it doesn't register the same in your mind let it lie. I'm 77 yo, comfortable in my retirement and everything is paid for because I took calculated risks that allowed me to be in my position and not suffer major losses that forced me to either take larger risks or not live a comfortable retirement.

We aren't all built to accept every risk level and my level is not the same as yours but don't tell me I'm wrong in what I did with my money/investments because there are plenty of folks that did it differently than me and are not paying cash for their trucks.

You are no more right than I am so let's move on to important issues and let the folks that believe either way go about their business.

Last edited:

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another option is to check your insurance company on extended warranties....if your truck will still fall within their requirements. Got mine through Gieco for around $17/mo. $250 deductible for 100k. Includes everything except the usual, obvious stuff...and, of course, wear and tear.

Don't need any feedback on my cost vs. other warranties. This was quick, easy and beat out the price quoted by the finance guy at the dealership. Pay by the month, end it at anytime. Works for ME.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welp as usual, a member asks for options on where to buy his extended warranty from and he gets several pages of unsolicited financial guidance. Gotta love it.

I’m seriously thinking of getting an 8year/125k extended warranty..... I’m not completely sold on buying one...... starting to wonder if it just might be worth it with expensive high mileage repairs.

Anyone deal with either of these companies...... are you satisfied with the extended warranty? I’d hate to spend the money only to find that they won’t repair something under the warranty for whatever reason.

I must be imagining things because I sure read a lot more questions than just where to buy.

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well here is a new reason for EW, I'm gonna retire soon and my income will diminish some, I will sleep better knowing I have 7 years of warranty. Like i've stated I hope it was wasted money.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well here is a new reason for EW, I'm gonna retire soon and my income will diminish some, I will sleep better knowing I have 7 years of warranty. Like i've stated I hope it was wasted money.
Odds are it will be. But under stand your logic. Perhaps, if not already purchased, you should shop around for best deal. Especially if you will travel to certain areas where a Ram dealer is not nearby. Good luck, and enjoy your retirement. Hope it is long and fun!

SkywalkerPhD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another option is to check your insurance company on extended warranties....if your truck will still fall within their requirements. Got mine through Gieco for around $17/mo. $250 deductible for 100k. Includes everything except the usual, obvious stuff...and, of course, wear and tear.

Don't need any feedback on my cost vs. other warranties. This was quick, easy and beat out the price quoted by the finance guy at the dealership. Pay by the month, end it at anytime. Works for ME.

I have the mechanical breakdown insurance through Geico (covers major repairs amd costs about $100 a year). I didn’t know they offered full warranties as well. I may have to check in with them about at. What is it called that you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Hi, new member here.

When I read through my contract purchasing AssureGuard, the requirement for settling disputes, if the situation should ever arise, is that the two parties take it to arbitration.
The catch with arbitration is that it can be costly and people cant afford it. So it becomes a deterrent for consumers to fairly find a remedy to their grievance.
I live in California currently which has a state law, I believe CCP 1284.3, intended to work in favor of consumers who want to take their case to arbitration but cannot afford it.

Something to consider when reading through contracts depending on where you live.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid cash for my 19 Laramie (well I took the FCA cash and paid the loan off in one month), have a lot more than $50K in the bank and bought an extended warranty for the same reason I carry an umbrella policy, high limits on my auto insurance and don't carry life insurance. I'm investing my money in comfortable amounts to guarantee that I'm not hit with large, unexpected expenses that I'd rather not incur.

The cost/benefit in my mind is acceptable and if it doesn't register the same in your mind let it lie. I'm 77 yo, comfortable in my retirement and everything is paid for because I took calculated risks that allowed me to be in my position and not suffer major losses that forced me to either take larger risks or not live a comfortable retirement.

We aren't all built to accept every risk level and my level is not the same as yours but don't tell me I'm wrong in what I did with my money/investments because there are plenty of folks that did it differently than me and are not paying cash for their trucks.

You are no more right than I am so let's move on to important issues and let the folks that believe either way go about their business.
EXACTLY