Another headlight problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enochsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
2015 ram 1500 3.0l v6 ecodiesel slt

So this seems to be a common issue, but I've tried every solution I could find so far..

I upgraded to led bulbs, initially one bulb was spazzing out before turning off, figured it was faulty got a new set of bulbs and it worked just fine after that... a couple months ago one of my led low beams exploded? Idk, the diodes on one side of it were no longer attached suddenly... so I bought new bulbs, and after a few minutes one of them turns off, then on, then off, then on, then off and stays off... on the off chance it was a bulb, I got another set... and now I have what appears to be 8 perfectly functioning bulbs, but depending on which bulbs in which assembly the results vary wildly from driver flashing out in 3 seconds passenger staying on, to driver staying on passenger flashing out after 3 seconds, to both working for 5 minutes before shutting off...

As per suggested elsewhere I have taken it to a dealer, they found no issue and blame the bulbs(they also refute alfaobd even exists)... I have tried resistors, capacitors, and canbus adapters... I have purchased alphaobd and the mx unit and changed all of the settings to led yes... I have replaced the oem harnesses... I have tested the bulbs... I have absolutely no idea what to do now...

Issue is only with the low beam, high fog etc all work fine... Any suggestions greatly welcome...

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check to see the draw compared to stock. You could be overheating the canbus circuit causing it to shutdown and restart when cool.

OP
OP
E

Enochsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
I can immediately restart the vehicle and it works for exactly as long, and temperature doesn't seem to play a factor, -30 or 110 it works the same in both...

Still might be worth checking, but wouldn't one assume that a 6w led would draw less than a 75w halogen? (Idk actual wattage just a guess)...

And how would you recommend I test the draw?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
First off this is NOT an answer to your specific problem. But what I did to my 16 ram. Read a lot of "stuff" here and elsewhere about changing to led bulbs (which I have done to our Motorcycles - without ANy problems). It appears there have been quite a few issues with those that have change to LEDs in their headlamps and even other lamps, brakes etc. The actual percentage of those that have ? . Also did a lot of research about those that change the headlight assemblies. The assemblies (my opinion) are WAY to expensive for the results you get. By that I mean that all that "brightness" is up high off the ground, and can not always be used as they - the lights- are in oncoming traffics eyes. Depending on state's law could be illegal? What I did was to install a set of Diode Dynamics driving (they call them narrow beam) lights. Once in they are just 17.5 inches off the ground (mine is a 2WD Tradesman with Quad lights - 4wd would be a bit higher). Do to the design of the beam these "driving" lights aren't in any ones eyes, come with their own harness and are connected completely on there own circuit. I was going to wire the hot side into a "key on" circuit. But looking at wiring diagrams it seem must circuits I could get to easily were also connected in some way to a module. But as bright as they are you will never forget turn turn them off - if you do the battery will die as their harness connects to the battery. Part number R110925 for the driving beam style - 8 degrre beam. They do make a fog beam style - 30 degree beam, but have never liked "fog lights" as the light reflects back at you if it's foggy, snowy, etc. (go figure). All I did to my headlamps was to change to a basic whiter halegon ( I got the ultra silverstars 4200K ). They are just a whiter color and DOT 50 state legal. Standard halegons are about 3200K.

OP
OP
E

Enochsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
I'm trying to maintain as stock as possible, and here in Michigan anything remotely like that is illegal as crap... ofc so are the stock led light housings with multiple diodes in a row, and the strips, and quad low beams... and yet somehow we manufacture all that and ignore the law lol... thanks for the suggestion though