Another headlight thread from a lighting NOOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the headlight on the passenger burned out, come to find out after removing the headlight, I have aftermarket led 8000lm dc9-32v bulbs, now looking to find a replacement for it but on amazon and eBay nothing is compatible, so where should I go and something that wont cost me a arm and a leg...

turboguard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had those alpharex housings paired with hikari ultras for about a year and they've been rock solid. They really set the truck apart from all the other 4th gens on the road!

OP
OP
M

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had those alpharex housings paired with hikari ultras for about a year and they've been rock solid. They really set the truck apart from all the other 4th gens on the road!
Are the Hikari’s in the low-beam, or high?

RAMzes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per a recommendation from someone here on the forum, a friend of mine recently replaced the high and low bulbs in his 2019 Classic with these LED's. They went into the factory black colored quad headlights. He absolutely loves them and there were no error codes after installing.

Amazon.com: Fahren 9005/HB3/H10 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof, Pack of 2: Automotive

Amazon.com: Fahren H11/H9/H8 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof, Pack of 2: Automotive
I also just got these last month. Lows and Fogs in my 2020 Classic's night edition quads. Lots of night driving, not a single vehicle flashed me yet...so safe to say they're not blinding anyone. So far happy...we'll see how long they last.

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Per a recommendation from someone here on the forum, a friend of mine recently replaced the high and low bulbs in his 2019 Classic with these LED's. They went into the factory black colored quad headlights. He absolutely loves them and there were no error codes after installing.

Amazon.com: Fahren 9005/HB3/H10 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof, Pack of 2: Automotive

Amazon.com: Fahren H11/H9/H8 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof, Pack of 2: Automotive

This. Absolutley the best upgrade I have made to my truck for the money.

OP
OP
M

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, Ramzes, NJ4x4,Aggie86, do you have pictures? I’m concerned I’ll get light going everywhere putting LED’s in my stock reflector housing.

also think I may prefer something closer to 5000K color. Not a big fan or blueish LED’s. White is good, yellowish white is ok. Blueish white I’m not into.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also think I may prefer something closer to 1000K color. Not a big fan or blueish LED’s. White is good, yellowish white is ok. Blueish white I’m not into.

For some reason nobody makes automotive LEDs that are "daylight" white around 4000k-4300k... all of them are either truly yellow like 2500k or if they're "White" they are 6000k and then higher from there.

I have yet to see any automotive LED headlights in 4000k or close to it. Especially weird since there are plenty of household LEDs that temp... so it's not like it's impossible or unmarketable. My assumption is that most frequently LED headlamps are a fashion accessory not a utility and since people are installing them for cosmetic reasons they demand as much differentiation as possible.

If you sold a 3500k or 4000k LED it would pretty much look like any upgrade halogen bulb, and then you would get fewer likes on your instagram photos and nobody wants to risk a thing like that.

OP
OP
M

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason nobody makes automotive LEDs that are "daylight" white around 4000k-4300k... all of them are either truly yellow like 2500k or if they're "White" they are 6000k and then higher from there.

I have yet to see any automotive LED headlights in 4000k or close to it. Especially weird since there are plenty of household LEDs that temp... so it's not like it's impossible or unmarketable. My assumption is that most frequently LED headlamps are a fashion accessory not a utility and since people are installing them for cosmetic reasons they demand as much differentiation as possible.

If you sold a 3500k or 4000k LED it would pretty much look like any upgrade halogen bulb, and then you would get fewer likes on your instagram photos and nobody wants to risk a thing like that.
Interesting. Thanks.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Any issues getting this all in the stock housings and getting the dust caps on? I'm ready to try the lows H11's, highs 9006's and fogs 9005's in stock quads and vertical fogs in my 2018.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any issues getting this all in the stock housings and getting the dust caps on? I'm ready to try the lows H11's, highs 9006's and fogs 9005's in stock quads and vertical fogs in my 2018.

No issues at all fitting the high and low beam LED's behind the OEM dust caps. It does take a few minutes or more on each side to get the bulbs positioned at the 3 & 9 position. Also, no error codes and no need for alphaOBD to change any settings. I can't answer about the fog lights as they were already changed to aftermarket lights with different LED bulbs.

Last edited:

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, Ramzes, NJ4x4,Aggie86, do you have pictures? I’m concerned I’ll get light going everywhere putting LED’s in my stock reflector housing.

also think I may prefer something closer to 5000K color. Not a big fan or blueish LED’s. White is good, yellowish white is ok. Blueish white I’m not into.

They're not blue at all.... I'll get some pics by the weekend and post them here.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Paging @OnSale or @1500ram12... (or anybody who's got some experience here):

Y'all seem to have had some very helpful advice for other guys as they started the process of upgrading their headlights. I'm hoping you've got some words of wisdom for me as well.

I'm looking to upgrade the stock reflectors in my 2019 classic SLT to something that I don't have to run on hi beams in a lit neighborhood...

I think I've settled on these ebay specials, I think they are the same as the AlphaRex sold as ModifyStreet, correct me if I'm wrong:

For 2009-2018 Dodge Ram Chrome LED DRL Dual Projector Headlights Left/Right Pair | eBay

I'm thinking I'll do this in stages, I'd like to install these and run them a while to see if I'm satisfied with the light they produce before I upgrade any further. To that end, I've got a couple questions:
1) I THINK all I need for phase 1 is the lights from eBay and a fuse tap for the DRL's, right? These lights come with the harness for the DRL's to wire up to the battery, the ground, and the fuse box. Am I missing anything that will be required here?
2) I THINK this will be plug and play on my '19, right? My worst issue may or may not be a message on my EVIC saying I've got a marker lamp or turn signal out? If I get that, I can deal with it at that time? I don't want to get into AlphaOBD programming yet, since I haven't gotten that setup bought yet.
3)Will I see a noticeable difference in light output, pattern, and quality between my factory setup and these with their included H7 halogen bulbs? If there is no point installing these without upgrading the bulbs to HID lows and LED highs, then I may investigate other alternatives now. Again, the reason I want to start with just these is to improve visibility while I work my way up to other bulb alternatives requiring programming in AplhaOBD.
4) I assume I won't have any issues with blinding oncoming drivers with these headlights, especially with the included halogens, right?

Thanks a ton for anybody that has any advice or input for me.
Recently did this on my parents 14ram1500 ...
See post here

M² Mods.

OP
OP
M

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, here’s what I’m thinking right now. What started me down this road was poor night tome visbility. I didn’t care about DRL’s or LED turn signals until I started looking around.

So, I’m going to order a set of LED’s, either Fahren or Hikari’s. I’m going to try them in the factory reflector housings. If I’m not happy with the upgraded output or pattern, I’ll buy the ModifyStreet projector housings.

hopefully I can run the LED’s without programming in my ‘19. If I start getting hyper-flash with the LED’s or light out messages with the new housings and their upgraded turn signals/DRL’s, then I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it.

let me implement the plan, and I’ll report back.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You will need AlfaOBD to change the headlights over to the HID setting which will disable the 12v pulse width modulated signal for the LEDs to function no matter what housings they are in, or get some CANbus/PWM adapters.

And as others have said, please don't put LEDs in reflector housings.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
M

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need AlfaOBD to change the headlights over to the HID setting which will disable the 12v pulse width modulated signal for the LEDs to function no matter what housings they are in, or get some CANbus/PWM adapters.

And as others have said, please don't put LEDs in reflector housings.

M² Mods.
Well, carp...That shoots my plan in the head, doesn’t it?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've run LEDs and HIDs in my reflectors for the last 3 years now.
Have never been flashed and I can see at night.
In Jersey if you're blinding drivers they don't flash you, they shoot at you. No bullet holes yet!