Another Lifter Tick Thread...started when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibedoughboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know lifter tick has been discussed to death on the forum. I've had now 6 4th gen hemi rams (all with varying levels of lifter tick) but this one is new from my experiences.

Truck is a 2014 2500 4x4 5.7 with 76k miles purchased at 61k miles. It's been in warm weather GA and SC it's whole life. I've done 3x oil changes at exactly 5k miles with Valvoline synpower 5-30 and Mopar filters. Truck uses no oil over 5k miles and tows frequently. I've had Blackstone analysis done with all 3 oil changes and they show slightly high silicon (but decreasing with each change) but all other checks are good including metals and TBN. Truck was a previous farm truck with questionable maintenance. It shows 767 idle hours and 2498 driving hours and runs great.

I have only heard a lifter tick on this truck maybe 5 times on start up for a few seconds in past ~2 years/ 15k miles. Today, I started it (no noise) and drive 45 min to work on the highway and I hear a lifter tick when I pull into the parking lot and I shut it off. I know the difference between the lifter tick and exhaust tick since I've already replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on this truck because of that tick. I have no idea when during the drive it started ticking. Oil pressure is indicating 52psi on the display, oil level is good, I restart and it's still ticking away. I shut it off, go to work, come out an hour later and restart it. It ticks for a few seconds then goes away and I drove it home without the lifter tick returning. It sat for 30min at home and I restarted it and it ticked again at start up and went away after a few seconds.

I guess the question here is, has anyone experienced the lifter tick just starting out of the blue when the truck is warm and driving and then going away?

My worry here is that in two weeks I need to drive 650miles to pick up a 6k lb camper to tow home. I really don't want to be in the WV mountains and have the top end give out.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The next time it starts ticking take a video of it and post it here so we can hear the severity of it.

Personally I'd try some lubeguard or even better some 5w30 redline and a royal purple filter. It may not immediately quiet the tick, but it's worth a shot.

I would not keep driving it without trying the lubeguard or redline.

Good luck

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you addressed the exhaust manifold issue, did you sand (or have milled) the exhaust manifold flat?

Probably not your issue, but not sanding/milling the manifolds flat will most likely result in broken studs again.

May your issue be resolved easily and quickly.

Octane

Reaction score
So far my Ram has 170k on it, never a exhaust leak and cam lifters seem good so far.It seems mileage has nothing to do with cam failures tho.I believe bad cam hardening is the problem

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a lifter tick (hot and cold) that started shortly after oil/filter change. Turned out to be FRAM synthetic filter. After switching to WIX filter the tick was completely gone. I had been using the same FRAM filters with no issues for last 4-5 oil changes, until this time. Could just be the filter was defective. Just food for thought.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So far my Ram has 170k on it, never a exhaust leak and cam lifters seem good so far.It seems mileage has nothing to do with cam failures tho.I believe bad cam hardening is the problem
An analysis of failed lifters / cam showed cam was hardened appropriately, fyi. It's buried somewhere in the Forum. It's not a soft cam that's the cause.

Octane

Reaction score
An analysis of failed lifters / cam showed cam was hardened appropriately, fyi. It's buried somewhere in the Forum. It's not a soft cam that's the cause.
I watched a video on youtube that showed the lifter angles and oiling on the pre vvt engines were the same as the current 3rd gen hemis.Even with the larger roller bearings there are still failures.And the tech suggested the cam steel was probably the issue in some 3rd gen hemis.But we may never know.Maybe test a failed cam? For hardness?Ive read about what you say tho

Octane

Reaction score
A lifetime mechanic friend says he knows exactly what causes the cam failures.It is typical Chrysler getting the cheapest built parts built to their cheap specs.Then them denying any knowledge/ responsibility for their cheapskate-ism.lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know lifter tick has been discussed to death on the forum. I've had now 6 4th gen hemi rams (all with varying levels of lifter tick) but this one is new from my experiences.

Truck is a 2014 2500 4x4 5.7 with 76k miles purchased at 61k miles. It's been in warm weather GA and SC it's whole life. I've done 3x oil changes at exactly 5k miles with Valvoline synpower 5-30 and Mopar filters. Truck uses no oil over 5k miles and tows frequently. I've had Blackstone analysis done with all 3 oil changes and they show slightly high silicon (but decreasing with each change) but all other checks are good including metals and TBN. Truck was a previous farm truck with questionable maintenance. It shows 767 idle hours and 2498 driving hours and runs great.

I have only heard a lifter tick on this truck maybe 5 times on start up for a few seconds in past ~2 years/ 15k miles. Today, I started it (no noise) and drive 45 min to work on the highway and I hear a lifter tick when I pull into the parking lot and I shut it off. I know the difference between the lifter tick and exhaust tick since I've already replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on this truck because of that tick. I have no idea when during the drive it started ticking. Oil pressure is indicating 52psi on the display, oil level is good, I restart and it's still ticking away. I shut it off, go to work, come out an hour later and restart it. It ticks for a few seconds then goes away and I drove it home without the lifter tick returning. It sat for 30min at home and I restarted it and it ticked again at start up and went away after a few seconds.

I guess the question here is, has anyone experienced the lifter tick just starting out of the blue when the truck is warm and driving and then going away?

My worry here is that in two weeks I need to drive 650miles to pick up a 6k lb camper to tow home. I really don't want to be in the WV mountains and have the top end give out.
You call it lifter tick, I'm not so sure in the case. 50% of ticks are lifters, the other 50% is exhaust bolts. If you can post a youtube. Get under truck and check those bolts, do what it takes to check every bolt.

RowdyRam13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same thing happend to me a few days ago, just driving on the highway about 5 min from home and I turn down my music and I hear this strange tick coming from my motor stopped got out with the truck running after about an hour drive, has an odd tick coming from the bottom end not sure if it’s lifter related or not, truck only has 74k

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing happend to me a few days ago, just driving on the highway about 5 min from home and I turn down my music and I hear this strange tick coming from my motor stopped got out with the truck running after about an hour drive, has an odd tick coming from the bottom end not sure if it’s lifter related or not, truck only has 74k
First you need to determine its not an exhaust tick. Once you know its not that then just educate yourself on the oils and things to use that will spot it. Burlas links are where you will learn all about the tick and what to use. Not every truck is the same. Some motors just like other oils. Redline is a popular oil to fix it, but mine likes Castrol edge with lubeguard. I just started running lube guard, but mine has been on Edge for 80k miles. No more noise or sound. I do run seafoam through the motor about every 15k miles and then dump the oil. Filter is another key. Yet again this comes down to what your truck likes. Mine for example likes the puraltor boss filter. You will probably have to play around with it for a few oil changes. Just make sure its not the exhaust manifold first.

RowdyRam13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First you need to determine its not an exhaust tick. Once you know its not that then just educate yourself on the oils and things to use that will spot it. Burlas links are where you will learn all about the tick and what to use. Not every truck is the same. Some motors just like other oils. Redline is a popular oil to fix it, but mine likes Castrol edge with lubeguard. I just started running lube guard, but mine has been on Edge for 80k miles. No more noise or sound. I do run seafoam through the motor about every 15k miles and then dump the oil. Filter is another key. Yet again this comes down to what your truck likes. Mine for example likes the puraltor boss filter. You will probably have to play around with it for a few oil changes. Just make sure its not the exhaust manifold first.
I’ve gone through 4 manifolds on the truck in the last 4 months this is more metallic sounding, I may switch back to mobile 1, this change was penzoil premium, thank you for the info

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve gone through 4 manifolds on the truck in the last 4 months this is more metallic sounding, I may switch back to mobile 1, this change was penzoil premium, thank you for the info
Mine personally didn't like Mobil 1 and it started ticking, but others run it. If it was running fine before, I would go back to that set up and add a 10 buck bottle of lube guard.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The average time for hemi cam fails are between 75k and 130k miles, so it is possible. No codes yet, still have time to work on a lubrication strategy that may save the cam, try the lubegard it is a solid choice.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If aint broke dont fix it. I would go back to mobil 1 and add lube guard. Look into a good filter as well.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What’s a good filter to go with? I’ve been running it with a mopar filter
I would look here. I personally like the Puraltor Boss filter. Lots of good info on filters. Seems like Redline and Royal Purple are the top ones, but honestly I would ask @Burla he has lots of knowledge in this field.

David_Jacobs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s easy enough to check the bolts, this will confirm/eliminate the manifold from the equation.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

I know metallurgy isn't the thread's main topic but since it was mentioned I thought I'd share this photo of the OE cam I pulled out of my 2016 6.4L with 90k mi. It seems to indicate at least some of the cams were not produced to specifications we have grown accustom.

The lifter that rode this lobe is in as good a shape as one would expect at 90k. The roller is perfect, no flat spots or sticky bearings, and actually you can't even tell that it was riding on a very rough surface.

I speculate the lobe wear would have eventually taken out the roller on the lifter. Upon inspection the roller and roller bearing would surely bear the brunt of the blame for the ensuing carnage.

Most of us, me included, would assess this as that solid metal lobe with a hardened surface was beat up by those little roller bearings, no way. But that seems to have been happening. And I've blamed the lifter for every wiped lobe I've seen. I just happen to pull this one before the real wiping had commenced.

Two photos, one showing the wear at peak lift, the other with two lifters. One of those two lifters rode that lobe. I believe it was the lifter labeled 7. I included lifter 15 just to be sure. Lifter 7 came out of bank 2, lifter 15 came out of bank 1.( The numbering is kinda backwards because I pulled bank 2 first.)

Attachments

• 20211106_211302.jpg
    20211106_211302.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211106_211610.jpg
    20211106_211610.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 13