Another new old guy needs some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62maxwedge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2008 ram 1500 with a 5.7 that is giving me more gray hair. the truck will start after much coaxing but runs like a bag of dirt , no power and shaking like crazy but when i check it out i cannot find anything wrong and it does not show any codes on the scanner. any ideas , i need to get this thing moving asap. thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any other issues such as a blinking dash?

Check all battery connections and the battery ground.

Pull the intake tube and check your throttle body. It may need to be cleaned.

Next, check the main harness connection to the PCM. It should be dry and clean with no bent pins. Make sure it fully seats into the connector when you plug the harness back in.

Lastly, check your available fuel pressure.

OP
OP

62maxwedge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i checked all grounds and battery connections ok have not checked fuel pressure yetbut i was just reading another thread and they mentioned the key switch, which i have to hold to keep the engine running maybe something here? i have to figure out how to check this out ps my 2013 ram has the blinking dash which i have not been able to fix either.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You didn't mention the key switch issue in Post #1 but that's something you should definitely check out.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i checked all grounds and battery connections ok have not checked fuel pressure yetbut i was just reading another thread and they mentioned the key switch, which i have to hold to keep the engine running maybe something here? i have to figure out how to check this out ps my 2013 ram has the blinking dash which i have not been able to fix either.

As much as a poorly running vehicle can be a PITA to troubleshoot and resolve, especially while using online guidance, we need to start with and resolve any starting-related issues first.

Could you please describe the key switch fault in as much detail as possible?

How long has this feature been noticeable?

Is it necessary to hold it in a special fashion 100% of the time and/or what happens if used in a normal fashion?

Have you tested multiple keys to see if they all demonstrate the same problematic operation?

Have you owned this truck since new?

TIA

And welcome.gifto Ram Forum. :cool:

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 0

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find the ignition wire coming from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, remove that wire, use a jumper wire and supple 12V to the starter solenoid, that will tell you if your ignition switch is bad.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an idea, put a multimeter on the negative terminal of the battery and then on a chassis or engine ground point. Yea, sounds funny, but if it shows any voltage you have a bad ground somewheres. Ask how I know....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Could be a bad batch of gas with water. Put some isopropyl alcohol in to burn water out, run down low in tank and use a different gas station to fill up. That will cost you almost nothing (of course gas) and eliminates one possible issue

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome!! @Fullofquestions

It could be something as simple as a dirty fuel filter, or clogged air filter. You could also check your plug wires to make sure they're all seated.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
It really sounds like an ignition switch problem. If the switch is intermittent it could sure cause the truck to run poorly. You may want to jumper around some of the wires if you can get into the wiring harness. (Ask any good car thief).

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You may want to jumper around some of the wires if you can get into the wiring harness. (Ask any good car thief).

This is a good idea, you could try and rig up some kind of starter switch or button.

The touching wires thing is a myth though, however the older dodges are easy to steal if you know what to break. I'm not a car thief but when I did towing for 15 years we towed a lot of stolen vehicles, especially the caravans, and neons.