Another no heat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last week I pulled the airbox out of my truck and replaced everything in there with new components. I even replaced the actuators. Here it is not even a week and I have a little heat from the dash vents on the passenger side, and nothing but cold air everywhere else. This is litterall the exact same problem I had in the first place. The actuator that controls the dual blend doors is working. Any ideas would be amazing, thank you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you replace the door itself...? The actuators may very well be working, but the cheap plastic doors that Dodge put in these trucks with get brittle and break apart inside the duct work over time. One side of the blend door may be broken off while the other side is still connected to the actuator, giving you the hot on one side cold on the other type deal.

I cant even imagine taking out that entire box. That seems like an absolute bear. I hope someone else can chime in and help you out.

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the thermostat first. Make sure the coolant going to your heater core is actually hot. If it is then you are most likely looking at the blend door. The actuator overextends the brittle plastic end on the blend door and over time breaks it off. You may be able to tell if this is the case by removing the actuator and inspecting the ears on the ends of the blend door. If you are able to get a long wire or something in there to push the blend door to hot then you will be able to confirm the issue. If I remember correctly up is for heat and down for AC.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If all the blend doors and actuators are new like said, I doubt anything got brittle and broke in a matter of days, but could a blend door be binding up? Is there a way to verify movement while leaving everything intact?

OP
OP
John Wooten

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took most of the dash apart and removed the blend door actuator; 1) yes up is hot and down is cold. 2) the blend door is adjusting temp on passenger side, not on driver side. Yet I am getting plenty of air movement on the driver side. Lastly, the guage says that I'm running at operating temp but it could be lying, so I checked the lines and there pretty damn hot.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the passanger side heats up, and changes temperature with the controls, then the heater core and coolant lines etc are all good. It was said that you can hear the actuator moving when you change the temperature for the drivers side, so the controls and wiring must be good too then, unless the actuator is simply grinding rather than actually moving. If you can get to the actuator without too much trouble i would check to see if it actuates freely when removed from the door and make sure the teeth on it arent stripped and make good contact with the door. If it does, then it HAS to be the new door either binding as said above, or broken again.

Good luck!

OP
OP
John Wooten

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, So I spent the day double checking the air box. All the blend doors are working perfectly, so I went and had Firestone flush the coolant and all the crap out. In the end, nothing has changed. I still have almost no heat, and the cold air happily flows freely though all the vents. Does anybody have any ideas of what I may be missing?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you replace recirculating door? Possibly pulling cold air from the outside?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another stupid question . Is the heater control knob plugged in and does it move the blend/ mode doors which uncovers the heater core?

OP
OP
John Wooten

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes all doors, actuators, heater core, and AC evaporator all replaced. all flaps and actuators are working together. and please, keep throwing ideas at me. there has to be a reason this isnt working...

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your heater core is getting hot, and the blower fan is working, then the problem has to be in that box.

OP
OP
John Wooten

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I'm saying but the everything is clear... I'm ready to burn this truck to the ground and damnce around the flames like a raving lunatic...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spitballing here...

Could you have possibly replaced the actuators upsidedown/backwards or possibly gotten the wrong part numbers...?

Maybe actuators were from a single zone and you needed from a dual zone...?

Say one actuator turns clockwise to move to the heat position, and another actuator turns counterclockwise to the heat poistion...? If they got mixed up then your heat setting might move the actuator into the cool position if you know what i mean.

Maybe the wires/plugs got switched between two actuators...?

Is there a door that might be missing and forgot to go back in, letting the cold air mix with the heat, resulting in no warmth...?

I need you to get this fixed ASAP cause I’m getting cold just thinking about your truck with no heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba