Another Oil Question Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BerserkingGator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Have a question regarding using oversized filters such as the RP 20-820 on a 5.7L 1500.

I’ve done some searching on the forums regarding using them and oil quantity but can’t nail down a sure fire recommendation.

Some say 7.5 some 7.75 quarts, what conclusion on quantity have those that use the RP20-820 finally set on.
Sorry if this is somewhere, difficult sifting through hundreds of pages of replies.

P.S. Redline 5w-30 is the oil that will be used.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It’s not a significant enough amount to worry about because the filter is filled with filter material it’s not an empty container
the oil circulates during operation and drains back into the pan I have used extended life filters whenever they have been available to me but I never added more oil than what the manufacturers recommendation are.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm running this filter. When I refilled with oil I added 7 quarts, then ran the engine until warm. After shutting it off and waiting for about 5 minutes, I checked the level and added until the dipstick read full. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 7 3/4 quarts. I wrote it down at home for the next time I change oil, but don't remember off the top of my head.