Another question about grill shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So ponied up for the diablo tuner and the Hemifever tune/transmission tune, huge difference on the transmission.

Question is this, I’m getting the V6 fan next and deleting the engine fan, if in soldered in a high grade electronic/computer toggle switch into the grill control harness would that throw a code or cause it to be inoperative even when the toggle is on? I’m thinking with the toggle if I’m gonna tow that day pop the hood, flip the toggle to off so they stay open, least I’m thinking open is default when it’s parked and off. I know canbus stuff can be extremely finicky.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So ponied up for the diablo tuner and the Hemifever tune/transmission tune, huge difference on the transmission.

Question is this, I’m getting the V6 fan next and deleting the engine fan, if in soldered in a high grade electronic/computer toggle switch into the grill control harness would that throw a code or cause it to be inoperative even when the toggle is on? I’m thinking with the toggle if I’m gonna tow that day pop the hood, flip the toggle to off so they stay open, least I’m thinking open is default when it’s parked and off. I know canbus stuff can be extremely finicky.

I think it would throw a code,as that'd be virtually the same as unplugging the electrical connector,and that will throw a code after awhile.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I’m wondering though if the toggle would keep it from working at all though when it’s on?

Numerous pieces of equipment we have is all canbus and they have a quick disconnect something like a trailer plug.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m wondering though if the toggle would keep it from working at all though when it’s on?

Numerous pieces of equipment we have is all canbus and they have a quick disconnect something like a trailer plug.

You'd have to use the switch as an interruptor on the side that feeds power to the shutter motor to open them,so they should still work properly once the switch made continuty again.But i'm only guessing,hopefully guys with more electrical knowledge will chime in.Did you check with Shaun to see if he could do anything with them in the tune,i don't think you can manually run them via the tune,but it wouldn't hurt to ask

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Sean said the tune is already set up to ignore any trouble codes from the shutters so shouldn’t get a check engine light if unplugged.

I’ve heard horror stories in the past on farm equipment that if the harness gets damaged you have to buy new as repairing them screws the communications up between various canbus modules.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Installing a switch will set a code for sure. There’s 3 circuits to the AGS. There’s power, ground and LIN bus. The AGS doesn’t run on the can bus, it uses a simpler LIN bus system.

If you were going to wire in a switch I’d recommend having it on the ground side, not power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Installing a switch will set a code for sure. There’s 3 circuits to the AGS. There’s power, ground and LIN bus. The AGS doesn’t run on the cam bus, it uses a simpler LIN bus system.

If you were going to wire in a switch I’d recommend having it on the ground side, not power.

Okay, so I’m guessing then if it doesn’t work the toggle could be removed and it would work as before with no codes since I didn’t cut the ‘signal’ wire?
I’ll have to double check, but I’m sure Sean said he disabled the check engine light for the shutters in the tune.

Jose Zambrano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a reason why you don't delete the AGS system. Are you planning on doing the lower temp tstat as well? If you are it will just be a lot easier to do the AGS delete then trying to have the toggle switch.