Another Slight Knock Thread - At Idle When Warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla how long did it take for you to start to notice a difference after adding lubeguard?

I don't use lubegard, but redline which is the same science can take 500-1700 miles for the additives to plate. It seams to be about 50/50 as far as the people who end tick right away to ticks that take a while.

What I would look for is "some" change with any additive, if you are getting zero changes then either it is something else or tolerances are too wide and no plating is gonna help. I'd still try, you have nothing to loose. At some point you should do a uoa.

digeratus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't use lubegard, but redline which is the same science can take 500-1700 miles for the additives to plate. It seams to be about 50/50 as far as the people who end tick right away to ticks that take a while.

What I would look for is "some" change with any additive, if you are getting zero changes then either it is something else or tolerances are too wide and no plating is gonna help. I'd still try, you have nothing to loose. At some point you should do a uoa.

What's a uoa? Google didn't help.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same noise but it goes away after running a minute or two

Here's a video I found that is very similar to what I'm hearing. Any input/experience appreciated!

[/QUOTE]

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all. I just picked up a 2012 1500 with the 5.7 (this is now my third 4th gen truck lol). I will tell you that it is incredibly hard to find ANYTHING else other than the 'Hemi Tick' and the exhaust tick issue when searching through the forums and Google so sorry in advance for yet another knock/tick thread about the Hemi.

I will say that I am very familiar with these trucks. Two out of three 4th gen trucks that I have had now have done this to some extent at idle - it's a slight knock and a tad bit of a rough idle. My 2013 did it (bought it used with 20k miles), my 2014 did Not do it at all (bought that one brand new and maintained it myself till about 60k miles) and now my 2012 does do it (bought used with 85k miles). It is not manifold bolts or an exhaust leak, I just had all manifold bolts replaced and have dealt that problem multiple times on these trucks so I'm positive it's not that.

It only seems to really happen below about 800-900RPM, and worsens the lower the rpm gets. I've done pretty much everything I have been able to find on the Forums - I'm running Pennzoil platinum with the rated weight and Mopar filter in it right now. Just added Lucas oil stabilizer too. I've also cleaned the throttle body, replaced the intake related sensors including the PVC valve (I was thinking that the slight shake was coming from a vacuum related issue), did all of the spark plugs, ran 91 octane - no luck. No codes or anything. Truck kinda shakes a bit at idle too. Appears to be coming more from the driver side fenderwell area than the passenger.

Anyone else's truck do this? Any suggestions? Runs great, plenty of power - I just put 600 miles on it and towed a heavy load about 100 miles with no issues. Noise hasn't gotten any worse or better.

Here's a video I found that is very similar to what I'm hearing. Any input/experience appreciated!

My 2019 Classic has the exact same knock. Try this. After you start it let it idle down then put it in gear and listen to it. Piston slap? Rod knock? Bad Lifters? I also have lifters that bleed down and rattle on startup. I think these issues are a result of manufacturing defects and poor QC.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey all. I just picked up a 2012 1500 with the 5.7 (this is now my third 4th gen truck lol). I will tell you that it is incredibly hard to find ANYTHING else other than the 'Hemi Tick' and the exhaust tick issue when searching through the forums and Google so sorry in advance for yet another knock/tick thread about the Hemi.

I will say that I am very familiar with these trucks. Two out of three 4th gen trucks that I have had now have done this to some extent at idle - it's a slight knock and a tad bit of a rough idle. My 2013 did it (bought it used with 20k miles), my 2014 did Not do it at all (bought that one brand new and maintained it myself till about 60k miles) and now my 2012 does do it (bought used with 85k miles). It is not manifold bolts or an exhaust leak, I just had all manifold bolts replaced and have dealt that problem multiple times on these trucks so I'm positive it's not that.

It only seems to really happen below about 800-900RPM, and worsens the lower the rpm gets. I've done pretty much everything I have been able to find on the Forums - I'm running Pennzoil platinum with the rated weight and Mopar filter in it right now. Just added Lucas oil stabilizer too. I've also cleaned the throttle body, replaced the intake related sensors including the PVC valve (I was thinking that the slight shake was coming from a vacuum related issue), did all of the spark plugs, ran 91 octane - no luck. No codes or anything. Truck kinda shakes a bit at idle too. Appears to be coming more from the driver side fenderwell area than the passenger.

Anyone else's truck do this? Any suggestions? Runs great, plenty of power - I just put 600 miles on it and towed a heavy load about 100 miles with no issues. Noise hasn't gotten any worse or better.

Give it up man! They’re not going to do anything about it. I’ve been to the stealership and basically they told me to deal with it and shut up. So, bend over!

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2019 Classic has the exact same knock. Try this. After you start it let it idle down then put it in gear and listen to it. Piston slap? Rod knock? Bad Lifters? I also have lifters that bleed down and rattle on startup. I think these issues are a result of manufacturing defects and poor QC.

Its piston slap.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

These engines are recommeded to run on 89 octane fuel. But 87 oct is acceptable. I have used the first mentioned since new and no tick. Recommended literature in engineering does hold truth sometime i reckon. Also proper breakin is imperative for these finely machined tolerances. Remember also too that mid grade gas sits in tank at gas station for long periods of time allowing the fuel to form abnormal clusters that effect its combustion quality so, it does not hurt to use a good cleaner regularily. I found that Lucas Fuel treatment works efficiently. No carbon deposits ever on my tailpipe tips.2015 1500 with 66,790 clicks. Co2, Co well below design parameters. EGT lower also. R and D,then action does pay off!

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@ChevySlayer69 I saw your post in another 2012 piston slap thread about PYB. Seems like for some reason or another that does very well with this type of noise?

I think it mostly has to do with viscosity (same weight PYB is thicker than PP) but pyb is also a high moly oil. Something about PYB 5w30 does quiet the slap.

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks @ChevySlayer69 I'll give PYB a try. Hell it's cheap. How long did you/have you ran PYB 5w30?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it mostly has to do with viscosity (same weight PYB is thicker than PP) but pyb is also a high moly oil. Something about PYB 5w30 does quiet the slap.

Correct me if I’m wrong but pistons aren’t covered in oil correct ? Therefore pistonslap can’t be corrected by oil .... it’s the fact that the pistons knocking the sides of the piston skirts as they enter the cylinder . The skirts are short on these trucks causing piston slap to be common as the pistons wear and have variances . As they heat up they expand and that’s why the sound goes away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Correct me if I’m wrong but pistons aren’t covered in oil correct ? Therefore pistonslap can’t be corrected by oil .... it’s the fact that the pistons knocking the sides of the piston skirts as they enter the cylinder . The skirts are short on these trucks causing piston slap to be common as the pistons wear and have variances . As they heat up they expand and that’s why the sound goes away

The cylinder walls are covered in oil beneath the rings. You're correct that piston slap can't be corrected but it can be mitigated with thicker oil from my experience. It's true the pistons expand and it goes away, but I've found the engine needs some load on it for that to happen. So I only let my truck idle for 1 minute and then drive. If you sit there idling the oil warms up quite a bit and loses viscosity, and slapping ensues until you really get heat in the engine. PYB 5w30 does help.

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ChevySlayer69 my only question to the piston slap diagnosis is that it is exactly the same noise no matter how hot the engine gets. Same after towing a heavy load as it is upon warm up at this point. Although I haven’t yet heard it during a cold night as it’s still in the 60s and 70s at night here. With piston slap does the sound remain exactly the same regardless of the engine and oil temp?

Last edited:

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@ChevySlayer69 my only question to the piston slap diagnosis is that it is exactly the same noise no matter how hot the engine gets. Same after towing a heavy load as it is upon warm up at this point. Although I haven’t yet heard it during a cold night as it’s still in the 60s and 70s at night here. With piston slap does the sound remain exactly the same regardless of the engine and oil temp?

I went back and listened to your vid with the engine fully warm. Not sure what it is. My engine only sounded like that fully warm with castrol edge with titanium.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Typical piston slap from what I’ve been told and have experienced goes away completely or is much quieter once the engine is to normal operating temp. .

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm, so this doesn't really change in terms of sound or volume after it's warmed up. As soon as the idle drops down after startup (30 seconds or so after) it starts to make the noise. Not sure if that rules piston slap out entirely but it doesn't do it when it's above 8 or 900rpm. Only when the idle rpm drops down below that.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmm, so this doesn't really change in terms of sound or volume after it's warmed up. As soon as the idle drops down after startup (30 seconds or so after) it starts to make the noise. Not sure if that rules piston slap out entirely but it doesn't do it when it's above 8 or 900rpm. Only when the idle rpm drops down below that.

I think its a bad case of the slap. If pyb or redline in 5w30 can't help than nothing will.