Another Slight Knock Thread - At Idle When Warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just put PYB in and drove it a round for a bit then let it sit in park again. No noticeable changes unfortunately. But I would say that it actually seems like it does it more once it's warm than when it's cold. Here's another video after PYB 5w30.
*Updated video link

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can't remember, did you get under truck and check exhaust manifold bolts?

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Burla yea all manifold bolts to the block were pulled and replaced last month. That was the first thing I did. On both sides. Passenger side had a broken one. But again, yea all bolts were replaced and torqued to spec. The noise was the same before and after changing the manifold bolts.

I'm positive it's not manifold bolts (although I wish it were!!!)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla yea all manifold bolts to the block were pulled and replaced last month. That was the first thing I did. On both sides. Passenger side had a broken one. But again, yea all bolts were replaced and torqued to spec. The noise was the same before and after changing the manifold bolts.

I'm positive it's not manifold bolts (although I wish it were!!!)

you you did or didnt try redline 5w30 or lubegard biotech?

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Burla I tried lubeguard biotech with the Pennzoil platinum 5w20 + the Lucas Oil Stabilizer per our discussion earlier. No luck with the addition of the lubegaurd biotech at all. I was at the home depot and walked by the PYB 5w30 so I picked some up and had a royal purple oil filter so I did the swap this morning and drove it around for a few miles. The video above is only with the PYB 5w30 AFTER I tried lubeguard biotech.

At this point the only one I haven't tried is Redline.

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any way to diagnose piston slap without tearing stuff apart?

For those who have had the same/similar experience - any concerns with reliability or do you guys think this thing will keep running fine as long as there's oil in it lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is true piston slap, it should only happen while metals are different sizes when cold start, if you have warm piston slap you have a serious issue with tolerances. You could get a uoa and see how the wear is.

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just turn the stereo up a notch or two and don't stress over it. Hemi engines are a bit noisy sometimes.

OP
OP
S

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol @DirtyWipers I guess my question then is how long'll I get away with turning up the stereo for? 5k miles or 50k!

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol @DirtyWipers I guess my question then is how long'll I get away with turning up the stereo for? 5k miles or 50k!
The price of a cam and lifter job including labor is so outrageous these days (and doesn't always cure the tick) that you'll be money ahead by cranking the tunes up and sleeping like a baby at night. Seems that some people have gotten tons of mileage out of their ticking engines and others die the death in short order. You can try a few different oils and weights to see if anything quiets the ole girl down. Just remember that catastrophic engine failures are far less common than the forums might lead you to believe. These Hemis are fantastic engines but they are most definitely prone to tick.