anti-spin or elect lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking to order a new 1500 RAM, now that the limited slip is gone looking for input on anti-spin which I believe apply s brake pressure to the slipping wheel verses electric lock not sure how it works I assume it locks the differentials electrically similar to the old posi-trac rear ends. Has anyone got any experience using either or both to give feedback, I'm sure either are better than non at all.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The current anti spin is a clutch type limited slip.... they just named it different for some reason... there is some interaction with the brakes via stability and traction control, but it is very much a traditional limited slip, it just uses other means for preload instead of springs.

For a truck that sees a lot of serious off road use, get a locker....an electronic locker is an open diff when its not turned on...its all or nothing... and you have to turn it off and on.

For general use...mild to moderate off road, boat ramps, etc.... the limited slip (anti spin) will work great, with the added benefit of being "always on", for pulling out uphill on wet roads and such....no buttons to push, it just does its thing when it needs to.

The anti spin works awesome for everyday driving...pulling out from an intersection on wet roads you can hammer the pedal to the floor and the truck takes off with very little if any wheel spin.... even pulling 5,500 lbs. of boat.

That's saying something considering we're talking about a pickup truck with near 400 horsepower.

My last truck (Nissan) had an electronic locker.... wasn't worth 2 cents anywhere except off road.

My Ram, a 2018 Bighorn 4x4 Crew Cab, isn't the off road truck the Nissan Pro 4x was...but is a far better truck for what I need a truck for these days.... that being, pulling the boat down the interstate and up the boat ramp, and a little bit of mild off road use for getting up on the mountain to put up deer stands and such, and a few bank fishing spots I know.

Myself.... I'm way too poor to be taking a $40,000 truck anywhere that requires a locker anyway, lol.

All that is to say, it really comes down to what you use the truck for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok thanks I think thats what I need, just need something extra if I get in some snow or wet roads, anti-spin it is

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Ridgerunner665 that's a good explanation of the anti-spin rear diff. I ordered it on my new truck (just waiting for it to arrive) for the same reasons in your description.

Red

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just know the current LSD has no preload and relies on traction control to apply the brake to load up and start it to work sort of it is the worst one I have ever owned

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I have an E-locker, and pretty much like it. It was on the truck already, so it wasn't necessarily something I was looking for. Works well in bad traction situations, but I have to remember to engage it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Anit-spin has been around for years and used on 2WD passenger cars and referred to usually as "traction control". It is by no means comparable to a limited slip rear differential with its internal clutches. The electronic locking rear differential cost is only $50 more than the anti-spin feature. Anti-spin should be standard but Ram gouges its customers by charging them $495 for it.

Tundra owners can only get the anti-spin option which is why so many will pay to have an after market locking differential installed. For traction on snow anti-spin may be OK but off the pavement it is not something I would consider to be good enough.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Limited slip is great for general everyday driving and lockers are great for offroading. Depends what you want to do with the truck. If you don't do any serious offroading get the limited slip as it's always engaged and you don't have to activate it every time you need it.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If one of your rear wheels comes off the ground while rock hopping then e-locker would work better. I don't think I've ever accomplished that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963